MCPHS - Worcester 2016 Accepted

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted, to those of you coming on March 5th, I will be one of your student tour guides. The interviews are 1-1 with a PA faculty member, every faculty member is different but mine was very low stress, the key is they want to know if you can stand up to the stress and rigor of a fast program. I'm a first year PA student, so if you have questions I can try to help you out. There will be get togethers set up by students before classes start - we had 2 or 3, plus admissions will set up a Facebook group so everyone can set up housing and such.

If you were waitlisted, interviewed and not offered a spot, or applied late in the cycle, keep working and apply again. I have classmates who were interviewed one year, waitlisted, then applied, interviewed and were accepted the following year, a classmate who was waitlisted and accepted less than a month before classes started and was told when I was interviewed that I would have been accepted in the prior year's class but the class was full. If anyone is lurking in this thread and thinking they can apply 2 days before the admissions deadline, DO NOT WAIT. The class fills quickly and by summer you are fighting over a few spots. 

I am coming on March 5th thank you for the advise. My name is Ankit Patel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I received my acceptance letter today! I'm still deciding between this school and another program. Did anyone get a good understanding of the housing situation during clinical year? I have no family in the New England area so I'm trying to figure out if it's possible for me to do all of the clinical rotations within driving distance from Worcester?

I received my acceptance letter today! I'm still deciding between this school and another program. Did anyone get a good understanding of the housing situation during clinical year? I have no family in the New England area so I'm trying to figure out if it's possible for me to do all of the clinical rotations within driving distance from Worcester?

Generally I would say no, but don't count out being able to do rotations closer to family. I have a number of classmates from Michigan and in past years students have done some rotations in the northeast and then some out in Michigan. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted, to those of you coming on March 5th, I will be one of your student tour guides. The interviews are 1-1 with a PA faculty member, every faculty member is different but mine was very low stress, the key is they want to know if you can stand up to the stress and rigor of a fast program. I'm a first year PA student, so if you have questions I can try to help you out. There will be get togethers set up by students before classes start - we had 2 or 3, plus admissions will set up a Facebook group so everyone can set up housing and such.

If you were waitlisted, interviewed and not offered a spot, or applied late in the cycle, keep working and apply again. I have classmates who were interviewed one year, waitlisted, then applied, interviewed and were accepted the following year, a classmate who was waitlisted and accepted less than a month before classes started and was told when I was interviewed that I would have been accepted in the prior year's class but the class was full. If anyone is lurking in this thread and thinking they can apply 2 days before the admissions deadline, DO NOT WAIT. The class fills quickly and by summer you are fighting over a few spots. 

Hey! I know you had said you were a student tour guide at one of the interviews. I was just wondering if you had any feedback on how students like living on campus compared to off campus housing? More specifically the Lincoln Square housing?? 

Hey! I know you had said you were a student tour guide at one of the interviews. I was just wondering if you had any feedback on how students like living on campus compared to off campus housing? More specifically the Lincoln Square housing??

Lincoln Square is very convenient. Given the winter we had, my classmates who could go from their rooms to class without going outside were certainly envied. The main issue is that you can only cook with a microwave, no crock pot, hot plate, any of that is allowed. So if you like to cook a lot, you will struggle. If you like to eat out, there are lots of restaurants nearby, but you certainly will not be able to cook much. The cost of the housing at Lincoln square is good, especially if you want to live by yourself. As you get closer to the year starting, admissions will set up a Facebook group and second years can mention where we all live. If you want to ask about any of the particular housing options, message me and I can put you in touch with someone who lives in that housing option.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All,

I am a prospective student and am debating on which campus to apply to: Boston or Worcester. My main concern is not having professors at the worcester campus all the time. For those that are enrolled there now, how do you like this? What do you think are the major advantages and disadvantages of being at this campus compared to being at the boston campus?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Sbusch,

Im a second year PA student at the Worcester campus. The professors that tend to lecture aren't usually around because at least during my year most lectures were in Manchester, but we have our own professors here and they were always around in their office and available if you need them. The ones in Manchester were always available through email as well if you have any questions.

An advantage to Worcester is that it's only 2 years while the Boston program is closer to 3.

If anyone has any other questions about the Worcester-Manchester program feel free to ask here or message me!

Hi,

Can you give me some idea of how the housing for clinicals works? I am a non-traditional student with a husband and three children, and we live near Boston. I am going to commute for the first year, but am unclear about how I will manage housing in the second year. What are some potential locations for rotations? Since I will not be in a position to move in the second year, will I need to pay for housing for myself for some rotations due to location? I have no problem driving significant distances, but want to be realistic about the impact on my finances and family life if a clinical setting is not within driving distance of my home. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Can you give me some idea of how the housing for clinicals works? I am a non-traditional student with a husband and three children, and we live near Boston. I am going to commute for the first year, but am unclear about how I will manage housing in the second year. What are some potential locations for rotations? Since I will not be in a position to move in the second year, will I need to pay for housing for myself for some rotations due to location? I have no problem driving significant distances, but want to be realistic about the impact on my finances and family life if a clinical setting is not within driving distance of my home. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Housing for clinicals is set up by each student, there is an excel document that is maintained with past years housing locations, cost, amenities, etc. However, the bulk of the rotations are in MA, so if you are willing to drive more, there is a good likelihood that you can do all your rotations in MA. There are never any guarantees as the rotations are a lottery system and you have no way of knowing what the demand is for certain rotations from other students- If everyone puts in their first picks as Boston hospitals, you likely won't get everything in Boston, but if others are like me and pick more rural sites, you may get more Boston sites. Based on this year's students, you have a good chance of getting all your rotations within an hr or so of Boston, plus you can set up your own rotations (only if the school does not have a contract at the site) which guarantees that you will have a rotation there. We could set up 3 of our 9 rotation sites, so I have 1/3 of my sites at places I picked outside the lottery system.

Archived