MDC 2015 APPLICANTS POST HERE

Bunchespa, how cool! Right now I'm here in orlando. Yes I have their notes. But not with me :/ bc I'm using mostly MDC PA program recommended books. We should get together & study! :)) Yes I got the invited.

I wrote a lot on their notes so is confusing to me and overwhelming.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LinaL,  I spoke with JM in admissions about scoring and the admission process a couple of months ago. She said last year there were around 700 applicants and about 250 didn't meet requirements for some reason.  About 500 tested and the highest score was 89%.  100 were interviewed and I think 46 were accepted into the class.  She said she expected about the same this year.  I don't recall how many points on the application were required to take the exam/essay. She did tell me that I would be invited to take the test based on my score.

Hi everyone, I got my invitation for March 23

what I heard there are not case studies, basic concept from AP only. How deep the questions will be, who knows. Everyone say different things. I wish someone could share a sample of questions, to see how the structure of question look like.

I wonder how much time you spent studying each day and what are you focusing the most. 

What is your hardest part? 

thanks

Dave sounds about right. It is fore sure competitive. Wow 500 is a lot of people and 89 is not that high. So study study... what I heard last year was three test dates with several times so for sure they could have done it. Hope parking won't be a problem. Lola body systems and functions but don't forget about the other stuff either A&P is only 50%. 

hello everyone, I took the test last year and I even went to the interview, however I did not get accepted into the 2014 program, and just wanted to tell you more or less how things are going to be, I am pretty sure that is not going to be the same test but just for everyone to have an idea it did not have a lot of math just like scientific notations and silly stuff like that, it had a lot of anatomy like very detailed information that you might not think is important, i could say like more physiological than gross anatomy, very basic microbiology and a few medical terminology, it was 100 questions and once you submit the test yous score will pop up. and the essays they will give you a couple of topics to talk about yourself and you have to pick one, The essay was not that difficult. Mine topic was Why should we pick you" or something like that. 

the interview was pretty easy too i just got very nervous. Good luck!

the test had no pictures, just multiple choice questions, i remember one question in specific that kind of throw me off, it was about the intrapleural and intrapulmonary pressures if one increased the other one increases or decreases, that is why i say it was a lot of physiological question more than gross anatomy. I got an 80% on the test and plus the points of the essay, microbiology you have to now the basic like different kingdoms and stains and stuff like that, i found the microbiology part very easy, if you study from the mdc anatomy and physiology book or microbiology book it will be good, they are not going to ask you clinical questions about how to treat pts or anything like that, just study good the anatomy part and try to know the most that you can about functions, learn the gross, of course but try to learn the physiological part as well. The chemistry part was very basic scientific notation, conversion factor and things like that. The test was not hard overall just it had very detailed questions. I guess I made the points to go to the interview because a couple of weeks later after i took the test i received the interview appt date via email. From over 600 applicants only 100 made it to the interview( including myself) and only 45 to the program. 

the interview was really short like 20 min maybe, they asked me " tell me about yourself", tell me any past experience where you had to handle a stressful situation and how did you handle it ( i got a little nervous on this one and i messed up on the answer), prepare yourself for the interview too even if you don't get a super high grade on the test you still have a chance to get invited to the interview but be really good at it. It was a learning process for me, this was actually my first everything, I had never been on any interviews before, but now i have an idea and could prepare myself better for next time, I didn't apply this year, i want to make my background more competitive by having a bachelor in science and not just the mdc pre-reqs. I was 22 at that time, with a 3.85 science GPA and 3.7 overall GPA, I had over 300 hours of volunteer and shadowing a Primary care physician and internal medicine physician experience, I had four recommendation letters, two from anatomy professors and two from the two different physicians I volunteered for. I joined the Phi Theta Kappa Honor society just to have it as well in my resume, but it wasn't enough, it is what it is always have a plan B!! some of you wont make it and some of you will but if you don't make it this time just make yourself better!!!

Got invited to the exam today for March 26th. This is my second time around bc I totally bombed the exam last year. But I had zero guidance on how or what to study so this year I'm hoping to do better since I have an idea of how the questions will be asked. Good luck everyone! If anyone is in the Broward area and wants to study let me know :) 

Got invited to the exam today for March 26th. This is my second time around bc I totally bombed the exam last year. But I had zero guidance on how or what to study so this year I'm hoping to do better since I have an idea of how the questions will be asked. Good luck everyone! If anyone is in the Broward area and wants to study let me know :) 

Hi, could you please tell us the sample of question they asked last year. Just curious how the questions will be asked. 

thank you

HI Kmr06e, could you give any helpful tips how or what to focus on in study

thx

Massi2009.... Do you know why they didn't pick you? What did they tell you was the reason why they didn't pick you? You seem like a well-rounded candidate. I know you'll make it. Your time will come. :-)

I never knew why I didn't get accepted they don't really tell you anything, I knew I didn't get in because of this forum, people started saying that they were receiving the phone call, and I wasnt getting any calls from them, they took three days to call everyone who got accepted but it wasn't until like 3 weeks later after they were done calling people that I received my rejection letter. Which I found kind of messed up because if it wasn't for this forum I would of been waiting for three weeks.

This was part of the original email

"Thank you for applying to the Physician Assistant Program at Miami Dade College Medical Campus. The College received applications from many qualified individuals, making these decisions difficult. We were also limited by the number of available seats allotted to the entering class of 2014. We regret to inform you that you were not accepted for this year’s entering class."

Archived