oldest appy

just saw a 66 yr old with ct proven appendicitis. I know this can happen at any age but generally I think of appendicitis as a disorder of folks under 50.

hope path is neg for malignancy.

also on a related note juist heard a lecture by a peds em doc from LA county/usc med ctr. they are no longer doing abd ct on kids for r/o appy they are doing limited mri of the rlq. sounds like a good idea to me. I have seen this utilized in pregnant pts before but I think making it standard in kids would be a good first step in diminishing lifetime radiation exposure and associated risks of later malignancy.

E.

Oldest for me was somewhere in 46-ish

Not sure I agree with MRI protocol. Appreciate radiation concern, but cost is still too great.

Old school Copes... Repeated exams, surgery based on hx and pe ( more and more Peds surgery doing this and getting away from any imaging except for U/S) ...

Vr

davis

E.

Oldest for me was somewhere in 46-ish

Not sure I agree with MRI protocol. Appreciate radiation concern, but cost is still too great.

Old school Copes... Repeated exams, surgery based on hx and pe ( more and more Peds surgery doing this and getting away from any imaging except for U/S) ...

Vr

davis

I don't deal with abd stuff any more.

Is there any evidence out there for clinical presentation vs imaging for appys?

I only know 2 surgeons who will consider doing an appy without an imaging study.

one guy has an interesting philosophy which I think is a great way to do things. he sticks in the scope, if the appendix appears nl he leaves it in and they get a much smaller bill. the other guy wants young males with fever+ rlq pain+ elevated wbc+ anorexia+ positive rebound/heel jar, etc

most of the guys won't even talk to you without a + u/s or ct and the u/s techs at my primary facility only see the appendix maybe 10% of the time. at one of my per diem jobs they only don't see the appendix 10% of the time...it's all operator dependent.

I don't deal with abd stuff any more.

Is there any evidence out there for clinical presentation vs imaging for appys?

the problem is mesenteric adenitis vs appy. very hard to tell the difference clinically.

one of my attendings swears by the crp as a good indicator. his theory : nl crp+ neg u/s or indeterminate u/s = d/c home with close f/u or obs prn. he hasn't been burned yet. of course other things can cause a + crp but a neg crp seems to have some value. I have been ordering them in addition to imaging and I have yet to see a nl crp with a + ct or u/s for appy.

I did too until I had one at 50+. Was not pretty..lol.

they had ct scans when you were 50?.....:)

probably didn't need one anyway because that dr osler was one sharp diagnostician....of course the open procedure using just ether must have been rough...

they had ct scans when you were 50?.....:)

probably didn't need one anyway because that dr osler was one sharp diagnostician....of course the open procedure using just ether must have been rough...

Use of ether came 10 years later. I was given a stick to bite on. I hear things are better now.

My first appy (as a student on surg rotation) was ~85 y/o male (no kidding). I did my long-student intake and he gave me a classic presentation of sx, had a fever ~103 but no elevated WBCs. I thought it was an appy but the surgeon & PA didn't believe me (which I DO understand - it was my first rotation, after all) and it wasn't well visualized on CT. He went to the OR late in the evening after he had perfed & became septic. It gave me an interesting case presentation.

Interesting thought about limited MRI on kiddos. We try to go with serial exams when possible, but I've ordered my share of CTs on kids.

I had a 52 y/o lady a few weeks ago. Classic presentation.

As for the kiddo's, I've ordered my fair share of CT's too but I usually try not to unless they have leukocytosis, fever, etc, but our surgeon's won't touch anyone without imaging.

I haven't had much luck with RLQ ultrasound at our facility unless I'm looking for ovarian cysts. They never seem to be able to find the appendix. I'll have to talk to our rads dept about RLQ MRI; I don't think anyone here has tried it.

I haven't had much luck with RLQ ultrasound at our facility unless I'm looking for ovarian cysts. They never seem to be able to find the appendix. I'll have to talk to our rads dept about RLQ MRI; I don't think anyone here has tried it.

We've actually had a fair number of positive appy's on ultrasound, especially in our pedi population. I suspect like most ultrasounds, there is a component of operator proficiency. The strangest finding we had was two sisters with positive appy's within the course of a month; both were around 12-13 (don't recall but they may have actually been twins), and they were both imaged by the same ultrasound tech. Very strange coincidence!

This comes up frequently with us, and we are doing FAR, FAR more US for appy. Appendicitis is still, for the most part, a clinical diagnosis. E, I think I told you this story, but recently I had a young 21 year old female come in with classic appendicitis. Periumbilical pain, migrating....n/v/anorexia/fever/cramping...exam was consistent. Anyway, I called the surgery resident, who said "What did the CT show?" I said, I'm not getting a CT, this is an appendix....they got upset, and said, "It could be ovarian".....I said, It's not ovarian, pain pattern isn't right......They demand a CT...I say No.....Then as we were at a stalemate, I tell him "Look, you need to come see her....come see her first, and if you STILL want a CT AFTER you examine her, I'll order it"......He isn't happy, but comes down.....10 minutes later comes out of the room....."yeah, we'll take her to the OR".....

Most appendicitis cases can still be diagnosed clinically...NOT all mind you. Some patients as we all know are just poor historians, sometimes the presentation isn't straightforward, etc.etc.etc. Anyway, I'd say we use ultrasound more than CT (practitioner dependent to a degree) for appy...here at least.

Oldest appy patient= 74...surprised the hell out of me. Had an elevated lactate, WBC, and crampy abdominal pain, I was more concerned about mesenteric ischemia.....got the CT, and BAM....there it was.

Had me an 85 yo female CT-proven appy without abscess or rupture 4 days ago... of course, her INR was 3.7 due to her mechanical heart valve so she needed to wait a little bit for her INR reversal to kick in before the General Surgeon took her to the OR (36 hours later).

This is second one over 80 in the past 2 months. Prior to that the oldest I had seen mas mid 60s. I coulda sworn in both cases they were diverticulitis or colitis...

G

They demand a CT...I say No.....Then as we were at a stalemate, I tell him "Look, you need to come see her....come see her first, and if you STILL want a CT AFTER you examine her, I'll order it"......He isn't happy, but comes down.....10 minutes later comes out of the room....."yeah, we'll take her to the OR".....

Awesome.

E- interesting stuff, limited MRI for RLQ pain in Peds. Our facility is going through such a struggle right now with US vs CT; our protocol is SUPPOSED to be US anyone under 14 y/o, but about 3/4 of our surgeons don't care what the US shows anyway- the consensus is always "just get a CT." So then we've called in an US tech to do a scan that in the end was useless, and we end up scanning anyway. Cluster.

Anyway, who is the driving force behind the limited MRI at your facility? Surgeons or the ER Attendings? If the cost/sensitivity numbers are good or acceptable- why not?

• 1 month later...

Interesting for me as a Canadian PA-S to read through this thread. We order U/S to r/o appendicitis in kids/young folks. MRI is too expensive and too long a wait/not usually available and CT, of course, carries the risk of radiation. I was with a doc once who ordered an abdo CT on a 22 yr old female to r/o an appendicitis and the radiologist called down to emerg and gave him an earful. He never ordered one at that hospital again lol. In every emerg I've been in now, including community hospitals and major teaching hospitals I have found u/s to be the go-to diagnostic test when there is clinical suspicion of appendicitis.

Archived