Sign in to follow this  
Strohmboli

ER Tech Interview Advice

Hey,

Sorry if this is a repost but I couldn't find anything on this forum about the actual interview process for ER Tech positions. I have an interview Friday morning at a big (>30 bed) Level 1 trauma center and I am pretty nervous about my chances to get the "emergency services technician" position. I have my EMT-B and have a little (read very little) experience volunteering in another hospital ER and some experience on a squad but not a ton outside of what I did through school to get my cert (maybe 36 total hours with local FD on 911 calls). I do however have about a year of experience working in a gastroenterology office as a procedural scheduler. 

My questions are:

A) Do I really have a shot at this job without real street experience? I've been turned down from patient care tech positions at the same hospital recently due to not having a CNA...I'm not in any way associated with a nursing program which has been indicated is preferred...

B)What sort of questions can I expect as part of the interview process? Anything besides the usual "tell me about yourself", "what's your greatest weakness" sort of stuff? 

C)Is there anything I can do as part of the interview to make myself stand out to the ED Director? Just talk about my patient centered philosophy?

Even though it will be a paycut, I really want this job as I know it will give me a ton of valuable experience. I would honestly do it for free if I could maintain the same scope of practice and have the opportunity to learn and work alongside PAs/NPs/MDs/RNs etc and see their clinical decisions and interventions. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

for most er tech positions they are looking for someone friendly, polite, and willing to do any task assigned and show up when they say they will. do those things and you will do well as a tech. it really is a great exposure to medicine. I did it in small facilities for 5 years and after a while was scheduled interchangeably with the nursing staff as they had taught me the majority of their skills with the exception of hanging blood and placing foleys. I did everything else including starting IVs, pushing meds, drawing blood, doing ekgs and neb txs, assisting in surgery, etc. This was the 80s though so the idea of "see one, do one": was still very much alive. good luck. I'm sure you will do fine.

• Upvote 1

Im a borderline career ER tech here. Your responsibilities will vary greatly depending on state, and instituition, and will revolve around what "type" of tech they want you to be. If an EMT-B is required for the position, you will likely operate under that type of a scope, or less. We have pre-nursing students with no experience, and 20 year+ flight medics all doing relatively the same job. Occasionaly, tech positions are at the medic level, which explains things like nebs, meds, assisting with surgical procedures like EMED said (pretty sure he was a medic for most of his pre-PA career). See one, do one, is fading quickly. When I first started 10 years ago, I had a lot more opportunity to do all kinds of stuff. In today's litigious workplace, this is not as common. When I started, you were expected to reach out and do as much as possible. Now, you have to be careful what you touch or do. Thats fine though, just relaying a point. At a large level 1, you will NOT have very much leeway to freestyle, especially being new and having no experience.

That being said, you will get in my opinion the best HCE there is. Interview will be simple, short, and likely not very intense. Managers are looking for someone who will not call off, and will work hard. Imagine a McDonalds interview, with a little bit of vetting for responsibility. The turnover is high in this position (people moving on to other things), and they don't care if you really know your stuff or anything like that. Your position first and foremost will be getting vitals, dipping pee, and busting your a$$ in triage to move the meat. All the fancy stuff is gravy. However, I have had a tremendous amount of opportunity in this position. Being surrounded by residents allows all the teaching to "roll downhill", and so I get detailed explanations for all kinds of stuff just by being in a room full of students. I see procedures taught. I hear attendings sound out their reasonings for treatments. I teach all kinds of skills classes to nursing staff and residents alike. And on and on.

I just realized I answered questions that were not asked. Say you will work hard and treat patients well, and that you are excited to be in that environment. You can do the job with your experience, although it will take a while to get to a high level. Some of us have been doing it a long time, with all kinds of backgrounds. Don't worry about that. You should be a good fit, if you know how to work. Take a blue collar mentality into it. Nothing worse than an "uppity" pre-med or pre-pa.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your responses they helped give me some peace of mind for tomorrow. I will know the result tomorrow as well, as they are trying to fill the spot ASAP so I will relay the results as they are revealed to me. 

Thanks again! 

It went well! The interview was very vanilla except that I was interviewed by both the ER director (a RN) and the lead tech at the same time. Questions were very straight forward along the lines of "tell me about a time you dealt with conflict" or "how do you deal with stress" etc. I start monday morning with my orientation full time. Sounds like the scope is limited to non-invasive procedures so no IVs or Foleys etc but I'm sure I'll learn a lot over the next year before I apply to schools.

Great news! Work hard and learn stuff! I value my ER tech time over my time in the squad, ICU, shadowing, all of it. Find the experienced techs and try to be like them. You may not have a lot of official responsibilities but you can learn and do plenty by observing those around you.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By thefoggymist
      Greetings everybody
      It's my first post here. I was desperate enough to Google and somehow ended up here.
      I am a US IMG, last year, good rank (and once was first of my year on IM rotation), Step 1 done...
      I am looking for a US clinical experience (a hands on elective rotation). I like IM, with all passion, and almost all subspecialties (and especially ID). I don't mind any subspecialty really, they all excite me haha.
      I literally tried everything... I always end up with either an observership (which is not really nicely considered for the match), or just getting ignored.
      I emailed a lot of doctors and hospitals, it seems like there's no use.
      I know companies like AMO and those exist, but many say they're shady, many say you don't really do anything, and most importantly they're expensive for very lowly ranked hospitals. I don't mind a place with no particular rank, but doesn't make sense to pay that much money for something that should be free. 
      I am ready to pay my own insurance.
      I'm out of time as my elective is due in like 3 months (and I need paperwork and such...).
      I'll pay with coffee, kindness, smart questions, daily compliments and especially hard work.
      Even if it's just hope with no real confirmation, I can try sending an email of my info + CV + motivation letter... And we'll see what happens. My dream is to catch a residency in the US so I could help, with my passion, as much people as I can knowing I did my job in getting fit as a good physician.
      Any help?
    • By UNM EMPA
      UNM EMPA RESIDENCY:
      The University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine is excited to announce that we are accepting applicants now for our 2020-2021 class. Applications will close Jan 15th, 2020. Our class will start the last week of June, 2018 for an 18-month program for 2 residents. This year we have expanded our eligibility to applicants graduating an ARC-PA accredited program prior to May 31st, 2020. We strive to equip physician assistants with the clinical experiences and didactic teaching that will enable them to practice high-quality, evidence based emergency medicine. Our graduates will have comfort and competence in the care of critically ill patients, the broad scope of emergent presentations, and the skills necessary to be leaders in their profession. 

Cirriculum (# of 4 week blocks)
      Dedicated Orientation Block (1) Adult ED, including dedicated longitudinal block in ED Resus Unit (8) Community ED (1) Peds ED (2) Medical ICU (1) Surgical ICU (1) Combined US/Anesthesia (1) Cardiology (1) Orthopedics (1) Toxicology (1/2) OB/GYN (1/2) Electives (2) Salary/Benefits:
      $57,000 yearly salary Access to health, vision, dental, disability insurance with employer matching Contribution to retirement Paid Vacation Paid travel and registration SEMPA 360 conference SEMPA membership $500 per year CME allowance ATLS, FCCS, and dedicated airway course in orientation Setting:
      New Mexico's only level 1 trauma center, academic hospital and children's hospital Tertiary referral center for large rural state, with high acuity patients Easy access to outdoor activities, climbing, biking, skiing, as well as wonderful food and culture Nationally recognized faculty in EMS, Critical Care, Wilderness Medicine, Simulation and many other areas Applications Open: October 1st, 2019
      Applications Close: January 15th, 2020
      Website: http://emed.unm.edu/education/prospective-applicants/physician-assistant-residency-in-emergency-medicine.html
      E-mail: cpkalan@salud.unm.edu
    • By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By Kmlkmbl
      Hello,
      I am looking for realistic advice on becoming a surgical PA First Assist. I viewed similar topics within this forum but wanted a more personalized response. This will probably be a long post 😅.
      Here is a little about my background; I’m a 27yr old currently holding only my GED with a certification as a NA. I’ve worked as a CNA for 3years with 2.5 years working on a post surgical unit at my current hospital. I am transferring to sterile processing next month where I plan to work as I attend a CST program. 
      I thought this would be a good field to work in since I will be working directly with the surgical instruments and preparing the kits and trays for each surgery throughout the day. I also plan to obtain my CRST ( certified registered sterile technician) by taking the exam after some more experience on my new job. I originally wanted to go to school to be an OR Nurse or go for my CRNA but after being allowed to observe a few surgeries at work realized I’d rather be more hands on during procedures. My end goal then became wanting to be a first assist.  After speaking with a coworker currently waiting for admission to PA school about it, they suggested becoming a surgical PA. I’m already starting out so late in life... Is it a waste of time to go through the certification of becoming a Surgical Tech? Is it feasible to start a journey to PA so late? I want to be sure that surgery is for me and more than just an interest so figured being a Surgical Tech would help with my decision...I’ve already taken so many detours on the road to furthering my education. I don’t want to delay any further.

I have also looked into the RNFA route but prefer the flexibility when it comes to specialties being a PA. 

All feedback is welcome. Sorry for the long post, and Thanks in advance!

• By classic24
      Can anyone tell me hourly rates for ER locums work, particularly for an experienced PA?  I have been ER PA for 21 years, negotiating locums 1099 agreement.  Current W2 rate is $80/hr
      Thx in advance for your reply 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More