Any parents here?

Guest Eag2004

Guest Eag2004

I was just wondering if anyone here was a parent. Was the faculty critical of applicants who have children in fear that will interfere with the program? Is it something that should not be brought up during an interview?

There are several people in our class right now who have children, so obviously it was not an issue for them. I would say the average age of everyone is about 28-30. Several people are married and have children, so it's not impossible. I dont think they are allowed to ask you such a question, and if it were me, I would not mention it.

As a current student who recently participated in interviews of new applicants, I can assure you that having children is in no way seen as any type of detrimental factor. As long as you're able to handle the rigors of the program in light of whatever your personal circumstances are, that's what's important. I believe one of our classmates is even currently pregnant.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just to expand this topic a bit further- has anyone here had any experience with pregnancy while completing PA school? I am debating between deferring/reapplying next year or continuing with the program while pregnant. It is not the pregnancy part I am nervous about- having been through this once I know that for whatever reason pregnancy gives me extra energy (maybe its those extra calories I'm ingesting)- but the newborn phase of having a baby and the whole breast-feeding/pumping bit. I had to pump in the middle of my interview day, causing a few "what is that weird noise?" comments from the younger women in the bathroom; but pumping several times a day during school is a different beast- as well as the whole lack of sleep which comes with a newborn- although perhaps I'll already be up and studying anyways? Anyways- anyone who has had experience or can refer me to someone else who has had this experience would be most welcomed! I'll even throw my email up here- htkyte@gmail.com if you want to contact me directly.

Just to expand this topic a bit further- has anyone here had any experience with pregnancy while completing PA school? I am debating between deferring/reapplying next year or continuing with the program while pregnant. It is not the pregnancy part I am nervous about- having been through this once I know that for whatever reason pregnancy gives me extra energy (maybe its those extra calories I'm ingesting)- but the newborn phase of having a baby and the whole breast-feeding/pumping bit. I had to pump in the middle of my interview day, causing a few "what is that weird noise?" comments from the younger women in the bathroom; but pumping several times a day during school is a different beast- as well as the whole lack of sleep which comes with a newborn- although perhaps I'll already be up and studying anyways? Anyways- anyone who has had experience or can refer me to someone else who has had this experience would be most welcomed! I'll even throw my email up here- htkyte@gmail.com if you want to contact me directly.

• 4 months later...

Congratulation for the pregnancy

I think you should tell the school about it. They might worksomething out with you instead of starting the program and end up dropping it or not being on the page because of fatigue. After all you can still get into others PAC’schools if it doesn’t work well for you. But make sure your baby comes first down theroad and not the school.

Good luck

Congratulation for the pregnancy

I think you should tell the school about it. They might worksomething out with you instead of starting the program and end up dropping it or not being on the page because of fatigue. After all you can still get into others PAC’schools if it doesn’t work well for you. But make sure your baby comes first down theroad and not the school.

Good luck

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Curious about the school's reaction to your pregnancy?

Does anyone have an opinion if you should mention (or not) that you have kids in your interview? I have 2 who will be 5 and 3 if I get in next year. I have a rock solid support system at home, but I don't want it to count against me.

You have no idea of the caliber of people who are at the helm.

• 2 months later...

I interviewed at Drexel on 11/1/12 and they asked me about family (since I am from Utah and we have a reputation for families I guess...) and I brought up that I am married with a young daughter. I just talked about how having a family has increased my focus because I know what I am working towards. And the good news is that I got a call last week about an early acceptance! Janet with admissions is the one who called me and she actually told me that she would be willing to watch my daughter during orientation. I have gone through 5 interviews so far and I have not met a more supportive faculty anyplace else. I have really been impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived