Finally got an ER interview....tips? advice? scenarios?

Hey all. I finally thank God have an interview with a leading area Emergency Department.  It's been a while since i've interviewed with a clinical interviewer (already past the HR people), and looking afor any and all advice that will win me this job! I suppose, more specifically, what types of questions might they ask (and god answers)?  Good chance they will throw some clinical scenarios at me? And anything I should review (beyond ACLS) so I don't sound like I'm totally clueless (been a while since school!)?  Any good counter-questions to ask at an ED?

Thanks!!

make sure you understand their workflow model well. do pas present some specific pts, all pts, just admissions, no pts? how friendly is the admitting service?

what are PAs allowed to do and not allowed to do? can you work in main or is this fast track only? is the pay based on productivity or straight hourly?

will you be taking care of kids and adults or adults only? when are diagnostic studies (ct/mri/u/s) available? 24/7 or certain hrs only.

I agree with EMED. In an effort to sell yourself, I would highlight your clinical strengths and efficiency (workflow, etc), but emphasize that you also know when you should ask for help.

I don't know that they'll pimp you with case scenarios.. I think it's understood that you have a foundation of knowledge and will expand on that with practice. A pleasant personality and willingness to work hard (without recklessness) is what they're more interested in.

Who really knows what anyone is going to ask you in an interview?

If it is the clinical people that are interviewing you, likely they want to make sure you are reasonable to work with.

You should go into the interview knowing what the model is, volumes, where you will fit in to the mix.

If this is a new field for you, what is the plan to get up to speed. If they have no insight into this, then there will be some bumps ahead.

Since you have gotten past HR, I assume you already know everything about salary, benefits, time off, scheduling, all the logistics of employment. If not, now is the time to clarify rather than be disappointed and frustrated by after the fact gotchas.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

Archived