Sign in to follow this  
zbritt

Boston EMT-B Courses

So all of the forums I've found online on this topic are 5+ years old, and since I frequent the PA forums here I figured maybe it was worth a shot asking.

Does anyone have any experience or know someone who took an EMT course in Boston?  Any feedback you can provide on pros/cons, how the teaching was structured, and what sort of clinical or ambulance experience you got from it?

Since Northeastern took away their program, and the program at MIT is only available to MIT students/employees, I've pretty much narrowed it down to Boston EMS vs. Boston University.  Although I don't want price to become a factor (BU is $1250 vs. Boston EMS's $700), I'm having trouble distinguishing too many differences between these programs.  And I've heard a few reviews that Boston EMS is a good program, but mostly from people who later got hired by them.

Any insight, comparing the two?  Or other programs in the MBTA-accessible Boston area I can look into for the Spring?

I recently took an EMT-B course at EMS Academy in Quincy....they're the same company that lectures at Boston College :D.

They cost around $900 I believe...didn't pay too much attention at cost. Price includes:

• Emergency Care Text Book
  • Online sources such as eText and practice exams
  • Extrication Day (where you practice extracting patients from immobilized vehicles); scene assessment, and caring for patients, it was great experience and also nerve racking haha.
  • Opportunity to shadow an EMT-B and/or Paramedic using their partners... Fallon and EaseCare ambulance services.
  • NREMT Psychomotor exam is done at the same facility but by different proctors. 

The only thing you have to pay for is the NREMT psychomotor and written exam. I highly recommend EMS Academy. 100% completion rate and so far 100% NREMT pass rate (psychomotor exam).

BTW...if you want to work for Boston EMS.... be prepared to forget EVERYTHING taught by other EMS companies because Boston EMS will reteach you what THEY want you to know. 

To your other post in regards to job market

The job market is ridiculous for EMTs...it's practically nonexistent. However, I used my EMT training as a way to understand taking vitals and its importance in creating basic differentials, patient assessment, a scratch of what medicine entails, and obviously certification. I plan on using my training to land a MA job in an underserved health center or ultimately at Boston Healthcare for the Homeless.

I recently took an EMT-B course at EMS Academy in Quincy....they're the same company that lectures at Boston College :D.

They cost around $900 I believe...didn't pay too much attention at cost. Price includes:

• Emergency Care Text Book
  • Online sources such as eText and practice exams
  • Extrication Day (where you practice extracting patients from immobilized vehicles); scene assessment, and caring for patients, it was great experience and also nerve racking haha.
  • Opportunity to shadow an EMT-B and/or Paramedic using their partners... Fallon and EaseCare ambulance services.
  • NREMT Psychomotor exam is done at the same facility but by different proctors. 

The only thing you have to pay for is the NREMT psychomotor and written exam. I highly recommend EMS Academy. 100% completion rate and so far 100% NREMT pass rate (psychomotor exam).

BTW...if you want to work for Boston EMS.... be prepared to forget EVERYTHING taught by other EMS companies because Boston EMS will reteach you what THEY want you to know. 

To your other post in regards to job market

The job market is ridiculous for EMTs...it's practically nonexistent. However, I used my EMT training as a way to understand taking vitals and its importance in creating basic differentials, patient assessment, a scratch of what medicine entails, and obviously certification. I plan on using my training to land a MA job in an underserved health center or ultimately at Boston Healthcare for the Homeless.

umbPA, wow thanks for all the info! Just checked out the site for EMS Academy and it looks like they have a ton of options, even some daytime ones.  I'll have to give this some thought if I can work this in with my schedule.

I'm not so sure I want to work with Boston EMS... basically I'm planning to take this course along with my last semester of undergrad, and then find a job wherever I can to get some HCE.  If it involves moving, I'm open to it... in fact I'm kind of looking to move away from Boston.  Would you say this would be a reason to specifically avoid Boston EMS?

And yeah that's what I've heard about the job market.  I ideally want to work as an ER tech, but I'm pretty sure this would be near impossible in Boston.  Another reason why I'm looking to move elsewhere.

You're welcome :D 

Where are you attending if you don't mind me asking?

No I'm not saying to avoid Boston EMS. I was trying to say that once you get certified, Boston EMS will train you on what they want you to know, if you decide to work with them. 

ER Tech/ Clinical Care Assistants (Associates in some hospitals), PCTs, PCAs, OR Techs positions are usually given to internal applicants or those with experience because I have been trying to land one of these positions and got no calls back...no surprise there to be honest. Boston is filled with teaching hospitals so they usually cater to those who have experience I am assuming.

You're welcome :D 

Where are you attending if you don't mind me asking?

No I'm not saying to avoid Boston EMS. I was trying to say that once you get certified, Boston EMS will train you on what they want you to know, if you decide to work with them. 

ER Tech/ Clinical Care Assistants (Associates in some hospitals), PCTs, PCAs, OR Techs positions are usually given to internal applicants or those with experience because I have been trying to land one of these positions and got no calls back...no surprise there to be honest. Boston is filled with teaching hospitals so they usually cater to those who have experience I am assuming.

I'm currently finishing up my undergrad at Northeastern.

Ah okay I see what you're saying.  Sounds like Boston EMS and EMS Academy are what I should be looking into... at least they have good stats and are well-known.

Oh well dang what does that leave? :P I would really rather be in a hospital setting than on an ambulance (although any experience is still experience) and you pretty much just listed every job I've been searching for.  Same go for MAs?

Oh sweet, I'm at UmassB. Yeah Boston EMS is reputable and mostly do 911 calls unlike other services. To be honest, I applied to those positions way before becoming certified/licensed so that may be the reason why it's been difficult. 

Hospitals usually hire Certified MAs so I have not tried to apply for a MA gig at these name brand hospitals haha. However, it should be less difficult getting an MA position at a local or free clinic. This is ultimately where I want to end up...in a community health center so I will continue pushing until I get there.

Oh sweet, I'm at UmassB. Yeah Boston EMS is reputable and mostly do 911 calls unlike other services. To be honest, I applied to those positions way before becoming certified/licensed so that may be the reason why it's been difficult. 

Hospitals usually hire Certified MAs so I have not tried to apply for a MA gig at these name brand hospitals haha. However, it should be less difficult getting an MA position at a local or free clinic. This is ultimately where I want to end up...in a community health center so I will continue pushing until I get there.

Very nice, thanks for all the tips!

I definitely recommend EMS Academy as well. I went there (Marshfield campus) and earned my NREMT, landed a job as an ER Tech, and start PA school in Jan. They'll train you well and make sure you pass. Good luck

I definitely recommend EMS Academy as well. I went there (Marshfield campus) and earned my NREMT, landed a job as an ER Tech, and start PA school in Jan. They'll train you well and make sure you pass. Good luck

Hey mind if I ask where you worked as an ER tech?