How to deal with excessive TEST ANXIETY

How to deal with excessive TEST ANXIETY

I am a high stress / high anxiety test taker. I took and passed the PANRE in 8/2014. Here is some of the research I did to help deal with the stress.

A study in the Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment compared thirty five university students with ADHD and one hundred and eighty five typical peers on measures of speed, test anxiety, reading comprehension, vocabulary, test taking skills and time management. Surprisingly there was no significant differences between students with and without ADHD outside test anxiety. There was significant differences with anxiety during, and perceptions of, test taking. It appears that students with ADHD perform similarly to peers on timed reading tests, although they perception of performance was less and worried significantly about their performance.

The take home message is that if you suffer from test taking anxiety it is important not to label yourself, drop the negative thoughts. The label is a cognitive disorder and will do more harm than good.

Strategies for overcoming test anxiety.

1. Be prepared i.e. Joe’s @PABoardReview.org or other accredited test prep. programs, PANCE/PANRE review books.

2. Practice test questions in duration and complexity that mimic the PANCE/PANRE

3. Meditation. The PA Program @Touro University Nevada teach their students Koru “Jon Kabat-Zinn” University of Mass Mindfulness for stress relief.

Reference: Test Anxiety and College Students With Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment September 1, 2014 32: 548-557

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By kdonlon12
      Hi! I just became board certified last week and am a new grad. I have racked up CME through UpToDate and was wondering if I could use CME I got during PA school for my recertification CME credits even though they were completed before I passed the PANCE.
      Thank you!
    • By SheaPA
      Hi Fellow PA friends! 
      I am a second year student at Chapman University, recently pulled from my rotation d/t COVID-19. I know this has been a trying time for all of us, personally my program won't be resuming clinical rotations until mid may, so we are stuck doing online independent study/PANCE prep. 
      My program is using U-World and I wanted to reach out and offer you all a free 90- subscription for you to try out while we are stuck at home! They have really in-depth detailed questions that in my opinion have been on par with the level of difficulty of my EOR exams. They have a large question bank and offer great explanations with the ability to make flash cards, track your progress and so much more. 
      Here is the link to get signed up if you're interested! 🙂
      Best of luck to you all friends and remember, we will get through this! 

https://www.uworld.com/app/index.html#/discountcode/STUDENT-847531-2020
    • By PASav
      Hi All!
      First and foremost, I appreciate any and all feedback. I am a December 2019 graduate and am starting my first PA job this week (amongst the COVID crisis...perfect timing...) 
      I have, for as long as I can remember, struggled with feeling like I don't belong, am not good enough, am not smart enough, etc. and this has transformed into anxiety about being an inadequate provider. I am extremely excited to start caring for patients and I have the desire to learn as much as I possibly can, but I constantly have this nagging thought at the back of my head telling me that I am going to fail. That I'll hurt people due to lack of knowledge. That my attending and peers will think I'm dumb or that I'm not catching on quick enough. 
      For those of you who have been practicing for a while, or even if you're a new grad who has found ways to deal with this - please help! I need some reassurance that my fellow PAs have not only felt this way, but found ways to overcome it. Thanks again!
    • By sas5814
      Recert Survey

We are doing a short survey on the perceived value of the current recertification process. Please take a short minute to complete this survey. Thanks.
    • By ashley2019
      Hi all,
      Need some help/advice for dealing with anxiety.
      I just started my first quarter of PA school about a month ago. At first glance, everything is seemingly going great- classmates are nice and I have made A's on all exams up to this point.
      However, I have been dealing with a LOT of anxiety since day 1. It makes me feel not like myself at all! It has turned me into a quiet, sheepish, and slightly awkward person. I hate this.
      At first, it was believing I wasn't as smart as my peers or outgoing enough (so, more of a social intimidation, unintentionally). Then, I convinced myself I'd probably not make it through the first quarter because of the sheer volume of info. Now that I've proved to myself I can conquer the material (so far), I still feel insecure because I find it difficult to connect with my peers. Sometimes I feel like I can't be my true self around them since we are supposed to maintain our professionalism. 
      Overall, I just feel a bit lonely and anxious with moving out of state and starting this rigorous program and I don't feel like I have an outlet. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, honestly why I am posting about this anonymously. I don't like to ask for help- and actually no one who knows me knows I struggle with this. But this kind of anxiety is a new beast I haven't dealt with before. Almost feels like my throat is being strangled :/. Considering therapy, but who has time for that??
      Will any of this get better? 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More