wnorwood

How to deal with excessive TEST ANXIETY

How to deal with excessive TEST ANXIETY

I am a high stress / high anxiety test taker. I took and passed the PANRE in 8/2014. Here is some of the research I did to help deal with the stress.

A study in the Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment compared thirty five university students with ADHD and one hundred and eighty five typical peers on measures of speed, test anxiety, reading comprehension, vocabulary, test taking skills and time management. Surprisingly there was no significant differences between students with and without ADHD outside test anxiety. There was significant differences with anxiety during, and perceptions of, test taking. It appears that students with ADHD perform similarly to peers on timed reading tests, although they perception of performance was less and worried significantly about their performance.

The take home message is that if you suffer from test taking anxiety it is important not to label yourself, drop the negative thoughts. The label is a cognitive disorder and will do more harm than good.

Strategies for overcoming test anxiety.

1. Be prepared i.e. Joe’s @PABoardReview.org or other accredited test prep. programs, PANCE/PANRE review books.

2. Practice test questions in duration and complexity that mimic the PANCE/PANRE

3. Meditation. The PA Program @Touro University Nevada teach their students Koru “Jon Kabat-Zinn” University of Mass Mindfulness for stress relief.

Reference: Test Anxiety and College Students With Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment September 1, 2014 32: 548-557

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ashley2019
      Hi all,
      Need some help/advice for dealing with anxiety.
      I just started my first quarter of PA school about a month ago. At first glance, everything is seemingly going great- classmates are nice and I have made A's on all exams up to this point.
      However, I have been dealing with a LOT of anxiety since day 1. It makes me feel not like myself at all! It has turned me into a quiet, sheepish, and slightly awkward person. I hate this.
      At first, it was believing I wasn't as smart as my peers or outgoing enough (so, more of a social intimidation, unintentionally). Then, I convinced myself I'd probably not make it through the first quarter because of the sheer volume of info. Now that I've proved to myself I can conquer the material (so far), I still feel insecure because I find it difficult to connect with my peers. Sometimes I feel like I can't be my true self around them since we are supposed to maintain our professionalism. 
      Overall, I just feel a bit lonely and anxious with moving out of state and starting this rigorous program and I don't feel like I have an outlet. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, honestly why I am posting about this anonymously. I don't like to ask for help- and actually no one who knows me knows I struggle with this. But this kind of anxiety is a new beast I haven't dealt with before. Almost feels like my throat is being strangled :/. Considering therapy, but who has time for that??
      Will any of this get better? 
    • By Jean16
      Hello,

I am seeking advice for a friend who unfortunately has waited until her last elligible year (year 6) and month (Dec) it seems to take her 1st PANRE. She seems to be under the impression that if she does not pass on this one attempt, she will have to return to PA school...therefore losing current position in an ICU since shell no longer have the -C. ( I don't believe  our state of residence allows PAs to work without it).  When researching the NCCPA and even this board I don't see any information about what would happen in a situation like this. I don't doubt that shell pass as she  was towards the top of the class and typically does well on exams...but I also find it interesting that theres no info on this anywhere. Does anyone know?
    • By PACShrink
      IMHO there is a great deal of potential in this specialty.
      This article is a few months old but the numbers are solid...
      https://www.managedcaremag.com/archives/2018/1/shrinking-psychiatrist-shortage
        According to this article ' Nationally about 1,800 PAs, or roughly 2% of the total number practicing, specialize in psychiatry'.
      Looking at Psychiatrist shortage ' From 2003 to 2013, the number of practicing psychiatrists declined by 0.2%, to 37,889 nationally by 2013. During the same decade, the number of adult primary care doctors increased by 9.5%, to 211,121 total, and by 14.2% to 862,444 among physicians overall'. ' By 2015, 60% were 55 years or older'.
         I know.... You are thinking that new grads need experience for this type of work. This is not true. The right personality and an opportunity are all you need.... That and a desire to work in mental health, I should say...
       Of course you can apply for a clerkship. I found 7 programs here:
      https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/education/medstudents/pa.aspx
      https://medicine.uiowa.edu/psychiatry/education/fellowship-programs/physician-assistant-pa-psychiatry-fellowship
      https://www.houston.va.gov/Education/Physician_Assistant_Residency_Mental_Health/Physician_Assistant_Residency_Mental_Health.asp
      https://www.novanthealth.org/careers/psychiatric-fellowship.aspx
      https://www.carolinashealthcare.org/education/Center-for-Advanced-Practice/Fellowships/Behavioral-Health
      https://medicine.missouri.edu/departments/psychiatry/fellowship-program/physician-assistant-fellowship
      http://www.brookdalehospital.org/psychiatry-residency.html

• By PAPrincess7
      I am selling my hippo account! The videos were very helpful in preparing me for my pance. There are numerous areas that the lecturers cleared up for me and taught me new ways to remember things. Their diagrams, print out slides, mnemonics, and pictures are extremely helpful as well. I felt that this really prepared me the best out of the study tools I used. Message me if you are interested in purchasing. This account does not expire until April 2018
    • By sas5814
      This morning I received a survey via email from the NCCPA seeking input from all of us (I assume all of us got it...maybe not) on what constitutes core knowledge. I applaud the effort and found the things suggested as possible core knowledge interesting. I have been in FP, primary care, ER and UC since I finished my Army career in 96 and about half of what was suggested isn't even something I would know about in any depth without reading and studying.
      There were a few ways to give your opinion from "should recognize and refer" to"should be able to identify and treat in detail" (paraphrasing) to "doesn't constitute core knowledge".
      With, I think 1 exception I marked everything "should recognize and refer" or "not core knowledge". In comment I politely (I think) suggested that core knowledge across the vastness of medicine was a fantasy.
      I had to see my urologist about 6 weeks ago and under my allergies I listed Byetta. He said "is that one of those new blood thinners?" I almost screamed "Imposter! You lack core knowledge!" Then I oxygenated my brain and realized there is really no such thing. Maybe understanding vital signs.....
      Continuing to hope this is the beginning of a process that will get us away from high stakes testing.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More