Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone, I am Daniel. I am a community college student who really wants to be a PA. I have applied to transfer next fall under a kinesiology major. I have two questions:

1. Can one apply to PA school under a kinesiology major? I chose kinesiology because to me it is more practical.

2. I know prerequisites expire for some schools. I am just concerned that my prerequisites will expire by the time I graduate. I have sent 4 years at community college, and I'm applying to transfer. I guess my question is if there any schools that don't have prerequisite expiration dates? Or that has an expiration date that is 7-10 years down the line. Haha thanks! :)

1. any major will do.  just make sure you have all the pre reqs, health care experience, and volunteer work.

2. Each school is different on exp of prereqs. You need to look at the schools you want to go and look at them.  Western in califonia has a 7 yr exp on all science class work and Drexel has a 5 year exp on anatomy and physiology only.  One of the schools in boston I applied to had a 10 yr exp for all the pre reqs.  Just do your homework.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mabowen1
      Hello All!
      I have seen a few of these posts on here and on Reddit. This is my first time applying and I am curious how I look as an applicant. Just looking for a few general opinions, I know that it will vary from applicant to applicant 
      Graduated from Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN. Applied to 12 different schools in New England . Did not take GRE, applying to schools that do not require it 
      GPA:
      Overall GPA 3.56; BCP total 3.19; Overall science GPA 3.21; Non science GPA 3.92 
      PCE:
      Medical Assistant 1200 hours; EMT 240 hours; Medical mission trips to Peru and Mexico 64 hours; Caregiver for dementia patients 48 hours
      Research:
      320 hours over a semester doing research in two different classes
      Shadowing 
      ER M.D. -14 hours ; Oncologist M.D 4 hours; Shadowing animal surgery 20 hours; Chiropractor 4 hours; family nurse practitioner 4 hours 
      Volunteer:
      Cancer Hope Lodge 12 hours; Running mentorship for school kids 8 hours; Cooking and feeding for the homeless 40 hours; animal shelter 8 hours 

Big downfall is that i do not have any PA shadowing hours. I have wanted to get those this year but have been unable to due to COVID. I will be getting those at an Orthopedic as soon as possible 

• By FuturePA20202021
      Thought I'd start a 2020-2021 pa forum for this cycle. I was verified on 5/14. Good Luck everyone!
    • By beatrix1998
      Hello everyone,
      I am very new to this forum and was told by my advisors and peer to check it out. I am currently a college senior and recently developed an interest in becoming a physician assistant. I am very scared to apply for PA programs in 2020-2021, I am not sure why but its just I think I am not qualified or ready enough to apply for the programs yet. 
      Undergrad Major: B.S. in Health Science 
      cGPA: 3.93
      Science GPA: ~3.6 (?) I have already finished basic prereqs requirements but some program requires organic chem/ biochem which I haven't completed yet.
      PCE: 2000+ (worked as a CNA/PCT in ER and nursing home)
      Volunteer: 700+ hours (community, health organizations, cultural, etc)
      Leadership: President of a college club
      Shadowing: None, I got accepted to shadow through the hospital shadowing opportunity but due to this pandemic, they are temporarily closing it. This is my biggest concern! Some programs doesn't require it but my state program highly recommends applicant to have shadowing experience.
      GRE: haven't taken one because everything is temporarily close right now. So, I am looking to apply for programs that doesn't require GRE. 
      Right now, I am planning on applying to programs that doesn't require GRE and shadowing experience and I can only find UC Davis PA Program to match my stats but since I don't have other schools lined up on my list, I am scared to apply for 2020-2021. 
      Can you guys think of any programs that matches my stats? Any help would be great. Thank you!

• By Tiffanyswan
      Hi! I wasn’t sure if I should apply this cycle to PA school so I wanted to get some opinions. My GPA is a 3.89. I have a biomedical science degree and chemistry minor. I have over 1000 hours as a phlebotomist at a plasma donation center where I get donors hooked up to machines and monitor them throughout the whole process, troubleshoot problems, and respond to patients that have reactions. I am also a medical screener there too where I take vitals, prick fingers, assess protein and hematocrit readings. I train new hires in both of these positions in addition to that. In college I was part of a sorority and had a position as Marshall where I served on the ceremonies team. I was also secretary of the Red Cross Club. I volunteered at the hospital for about a year in the emergency department. I also went to Costa Rica with a group of doctors where I took a course in emergency medicine and became certified as a Wilderness first responder. I also bartended my senior year. I planned to get shadowing but due to the COVID restrictions I will not be able to. I am planning on taking the GRE soon as well. Please let me know if I would be considered a weak or strong applicant. Is it worth it to apply or should I most likely wait until I can shadow/get more hours in?! Thank you!! 
    • By PAapplicant2021
      I wanted to start the PA 2020-2021 Application Cycle Topic, post here with updates! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More