Which residency?

Try to get a job at an academic medical center in either FM or IM. You may have to take a back seat to residents once in awhile, but there will be lots of learning opportunities. Weekly case conferences, MMs, journal club, etc. Typically the docs that stay and work at teaching hospitals do it because they love to teach. There are a few FM and hospitalist residencies around too. 

Try to get a job at an academic medical center in either FM or IM. You may have to take a back seat to residents once in awhile, but there will be lots of learning opportunities. Weekly case conferences, MMs, journal club, etc. Typically the docs that stay and work at teaching hospitals do it because they love to teach. There are a few FM and hospitalist residencies around too. 

What would the schedule be like if I worked FM or IM in an academic medical center? What environments do FM/IM PA's work when being apart of these big teaching hospitals? Mainly outpatient clinics that the hospital network owns?

If FM, most likely scenario is working in an outpatient clinic near the main medical center with regular M-F schedule. Inpatient of course can vary. It really depends if you take a position with outpatient FM/IM or as a hospitalist. Where I am we also have a number of satellite primary care clinics for low/no pay patients. 

If you go this route, you should think of your first 1-2 years as a well paid residency and take it upon yourself to seek out additional learning opportunities. This is what I've done and the 40 hour work week that was described to me at my interview has become 50+, but I make twice what I would in a residency. I am in an IM sub-specialty by the way not primary care, but the situation should be the same.

If FM, most likely scenario is working in an outpatient clinic near the main medical center with regular M-F schedule. Inpatient of course can vary. It really depends if you take a position with outpatient FM/IM or as a hospitalist. Where I am we also have a number of satellite primary care clinics for low/no pay patients. 

If you go this route, you should think of your first 1-2 years as a well paid residency and take it upon yourself to seek out additional learning opportunities. This is what I've done and the 40 hour work week that was described to me at my interview has become 50+, but I make twice what I would in a residency. I am in an IM sub-specialty by the way not primary care, but the situation should be the same.

If I have the opportunity to do a primary care residency, should I try my best to get it?

I'm a GA resident and Emory has this right now: (Primary Care VA) http://med.emory.edu/pa/education/cme.html

Do you think it's worth it or should I just try to secure employment at an academic medical center? The residency would help my resume more though right?

If I have the opportunity to do a primary care residency, should I try my best to get it?

I'm a GA resident and Emory has this right now: (Primary Care VA) http://med.emory.edu/pa/education/cme.html

Do you think it's worth it or should I just try to secure employment at an academic medical center? The residency would help my resume more though right?

I would just get a primary care job if your only reason for doing a residency is for a stronger application. There is no shortage of pc jobs and likely won't be in our lifetime.

Do a residency because you want to be a better provider. You will be taking a major pay cut so you need to want to get a lot out of it. Ask programs about their didactic and clinical curriculums. Ask what off-service rotations are available to you.

Just simply working at an academic medical center is very, very unlikely to give you a real residency/fellowship experience. If that was the case then you wouldn't see these programs located at academic hospitals as there would be no need or demand for them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Archived