First Summer Quarter in Seattle...!?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I just received this from Stephanie at MEDEX this morning:

"Summer quarter is expected to start on June 29th, so you should begin to plan to be in Seattle at that time. Additional information about housing and A&P will be coming in a supplemental mailing that we are sending out this week. I would keep an eye out for it early next week."

Hope this is helpful :)

Thank you for sharing:)

For Tacoma/Bachelors folks:

I came in with a DTA AA degree and had no problems being accepted. If you have been accepted to the program, you will be accepted UW. For bachelors folks that dont have an AA or bachelors, you will most likely be considered a Certificate student by UW but that can easily be taken care of during next summer when your off to fulfill some requirements. I think there are a few in my class that are in this boat. Don't stress to much though I know its harder to say than do. Save the stress for Winter quarter :-). One more thing regarding financial aid, summers financial aid came right before the start of the quarter. Since then it has come 1-2 weeks before the next quarter. They aren't going to boot you out if you are a day or two late because your financial aid hasn't come in yet. UW works with you. I know this because I called them and freaked out about not having my aid and class was starting.. Hope this helps!

Enjoy this time! Online stuff starts soon!

Just 10 more days until the first day of class.  I am so excited* I can barely stand it! 

*Someone please remind me of this excitement when I feel overwhelmed, under-prepared, sleep-deprived and filled with anxiety during the didactic year.  Feel free to use the words, 'You were excited remember? You wanted this.  You begged for this.  You prayed they would pick you.  You even paid A LOT of money for this.' ;-) 

Hit the ground running, develop some strong study skills and most importantly, STAY FOCUSED!! Also, hold on tight. It's going to be a heck of a ride. You will definitely feel all of that when winter quarter cocks back its ugly head. I have deemed it "the dark days". It's crazy that it was not that long ago when I was going through the same emotions you guys are and now just about one more quarter or didactic year left! Time sure flies. Definitely remember that you asked for this and many, many people would gladly take the spot you were given!

Agreed with EMSGuy! Winter quarter is definitely the dark days, but even the dark days seem to zoom by. I can't believe its already been a year since I started the online portion. 

You guys are going to do great, just STAY POSITIVE. It's going to get harder in winter, but you can do it. Support your classmates, stay focused, and figure out as quickly as possible what works for you, and whether it changes in each class or not (for me, it does...my study methods change based on the class). 

Let me know if anybody has any questions I can answer. On the subject of the text quizzes, they were mildly useful, but MEDEX has their own testing flavor, so I didn't find that those quizzes were verbatim on the MEDEX quizzes or anything. 

Definitely agree with Ktcan10. The quizzes that are part of the online portion of Martini were not really helpful. I used StudyBlue and made flashcards and that seemed to help me through the online portion of the program. Since you will literally read the entire book before the end of the online quarter makes it a little harder to make test questions. Focusing on the big picture (which has been a quote I have heard many times thus far) really is key. Try not to get lost in the fine details and don't go down any rabbit holes!  You will be plenty busy doing the A&P plus all of the other posts/study skills/discussion postings ect... Enjoy the free time you have left!

Thanks EMSGuy, Ktcan and others.  I tried to really enjoy today. Thinking 'this is the last Monday I don't have to study or take an exam, clinical, write a paper, etc. for the next two years.'

Good to know on the practice exams.  I have been using those, and stuff on Quizlet a bit.  I think it will come down to just taking that first test and seeing if how I studied paid off, or do I need to quickly course correct and make a new plan. 

I am typically a flash card and write out the objectives type of learner.  Crossing my fingers that works for this first course.

Archived