First Summer Quarter in Seattle...!?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cardiology III is the one that I have and I like it. The rest of the tools required so far seem mostly for the physical exam class, so I would suggest buying the ones that you feel most comfortable with and that fit their recommendations.

As for class time, scoped is right. Class is 8 or 830 until 4 or 430. Including the other quarters, class is standardised to whatever time zone you're in (Alaska, I'm talking to you). Exam days are the only ones that differ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

One option for foreign languages would be to travel abroad between now and the beginning of coursework.  It's possible to take a proficiency exam at the UW to meet the requirement for the Bachelor's Degree.  Most Latin American cities have Spanish immersion programs -- I did it in Granada, Nicaragua, and later in Buenos Aires, Argentina.  Two months of the Nicaragua program, with a homestay providing room and board, was still cheaper than a quarter of Spanish at the UW.  It was also a richer experience.  I returned, and tested into Spanish 203.

Message me if you'd like more information.

-Scoped

The online portion is not just A&P although it is a big portion of it. There is also a study skills portion of the course which starts a little later in the quarter. There is also a medical terminology portion at the end. A typical week during the online portion involves the required reading and objectives for the A&P assigned chapters and a test that opens on Mondays (if I remember correctly), group discussion postings that you are required to do a certain number of ( the number of posts required is determined by if you are a bachelors or masters student) that is based on a question relevant to the weeks topic in A&P. Unless they changed it this year there are no papers to write. You will write a paper during the summer quarter in Seattle. The topic of the paper is your choice from a list of medical conditions that they provide. I hope this sheds some light on your question. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! 

Enjoy your free time now with family and friends! Come winter quarter you will pretty much have zero time to do anything other than reading/objectives!

Hey guys! I was hoping to get some advice from a student who has take the online A&P course. I am trying to decide if it would be feasible to go out of town for about 10 days or so during the course. It obviously wouldn't be worth it to me if my whole time would be spent studying and taking online quizzes. I was hoping to get most work done on the plane and in between activities. Let me know if anyone has a similar experience or could offer some insight. Thank you!!

I am an incoming student like you but have had a few friends go through the program in the last two years. They all had different learning styles but even my friend that tends to study less than most and do as well said that the 3 hour avg per day was probably close to what she spent.. It depends on your streghths also. If you are a dietitian and are on vacation during the chapter of mataboloizm then that will be an easier week for you. At this point it's risk versus reward. I had a vacation planned in March but canceled when I got the phone call from MEDEX because the risk was too great for me to chance.

Thanks for the heads up on the Spanish requirement everyone.  I decided to add a Spanish class into my class load this term because it looks like I WILL need to have 2 terms of Spanish before I matriculate into UW for the Tacoma Bachelors program.  (I'm thinking positively since I still need to interview on the 22nd!)  Going out of the country for an immersion program would have been great, but it isn't feasible for me right now. 

Is the online Spring term considered a "real" term at UW?  I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem being accepted to UW since I won't have 2 terms of Spanish until the end of Spring term?  Unfortunately, the UW requirement suprised me since both Portland State and Washington State didn't require Spanish in my situation so I'm scrambling a bit.  :(

April~~

Thanks for the heads up on the Spanish requirement everyone.  I decided to add a Spanish class into my class load this term because it looks like I WILL need to have 2 terms of Spanish before I matriculate into UW for the Tacoma Bachelors program.  (I'm thinking positively since I still need to interview on the 22nd!)  Going out of the country for an immersion program would have been great, but it isn't feasible for me right now. 

Is the online Spring term considered a "real" term at UW?  I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem being accepted to UW since I won't have 2 terms of Spanish until the end of Spring term?  Unfortunately, the UW requirement suprised me since both Portland State and Washington State didn't require Spanish in my situation so I'm scrambling a bit.  :(

April~~

April, 

I have had a bit of confusion about requirements and the timing of everything as well. Based on my understanding of the research I've done, the online A&P course begins in March, but actual "enrollment" isn't until the Summer Quarter which looks like June 22 this year. So, even though we will be taking the online A&P course in March, we will not be officially enrolled as UW students until the Summer Quarter begins. 

I hope this helps or even makes sense!

Stephanie 

That's great! One less thing you have to worry about/complete.

I'm wondering if anyone knows when the Summer 2015 Quarter officially starts? Also, where will the MEDEX classes be held in the summer? I would like to start planning for tickets and sign up for the closest housing possible since I won't have a vehicle.

Thank you! :)

There hasn't been a specific date announced, but (please correct me if I am wrong) I believe we all gather near the uw med center, starting just after the 4th of july. This makes sense due to the time line we were given in the packet.

This is true as I understand it. If you're traveling to Seattle like myself the best place to stay is in the graduate dorms. They are basically a two bedroom apartment and the cost is around $30-$35 per day. I was told the dorms are within walking distance to class.

The classroom is in the Health Sciences building which is attached to the UW med center. I would advise not to try to find your way through the UW med center it is a hodge podge of construction projects and you will definitely get lost. I took a trip to campus to make sure I found a good route to the classroom a few weeks before. Wear your walking shoes for the first day of summer, you'll be doing a lot of walking!

Archived