EM residency preparation

I guess it sort of just depends on what you're least proficient in... I just brush up on EKGs and try to watch lots of youtube videos of different procedures. Larry Mellick and ED Exit Video on youtube are both great. Oh and podcasts... EMCrit, EM Basic, and ER Cast are all really good. Just saturate your brain with medical stuff and then when you come across it in the real world, it will at least seem somewhat familiar.

I agree with the videos and the podcasts...up to a certain point. Personally I dont do well just listening or just reading. I lose focus and start thinking about other stuff. I also like short reads, 4 pages at most. One page is better.

I have recommended a few texts in the past on this forum. Here are a few more with an emphasis on brevity:

The Basics of Emergency Medicine, A Chief Complaint GuidePaperback– 2014

One might look at this and think it is too basic. But sometimes we lose track of the basics when we get deep in the trees with a patient. Gives one a framework to work within and rules to follow to keep focused.

Case Files Emergency Medicine, Third Edition (LANGE Case Files)Paperback– Abridged, September 25, 2012

I love cases. As close as the real thing as possible and always a great learning tool.

Bouncebacks! Emergency Department Cases: ED ReturnsPaperback– June, 2006

Learn from mistakes of others.

Avoiding common errors in the ED

A combo of cases and mistakes, a bit on the dry side but still very worthwhile.

I think it is best to enter your residency with a goal in mind. I work with a guy who got out of an ED residency last year. He was clear with the director that his goal was to work in an ED in a very independent and autonomous position, likely rural. So he and they always frameworked his cases and his overall approach to that fact which has served him well here. So what is your goal?

I would also focus on just practicing good solid medicine. Do a great history, do a thorough PE, develop a differential diagnosis, know why you are ordering a test(s), know your treatments, bottom line always justify what you are doing based upon what principle or concern.

Last, documentation. Pay attention to it and develop it as a skill rather than treat it as a nuisance. I have a great article about documentation written several years ago. I revisit it often and also give it to students. Here is the link:

http://journals.lww.com/em-news/Fulltext/2006/02000/The_ED_Chart__Attention_to_Detail.19.aspx

Good luck

You have an exciting opportunity

G Brothers PA-C

Archived