I'm ready

A little background on myself

24 y/o working as a Certified Athletic Trainer for the past three years. The first two with a Div 1 Sports Team and this past year with a busy ortho/sports med clinic. I've gotten accepted into a program that starts next year and since I got that letter my outlook on what I do has changed significantly.

Prime example:

I covered a couple of basketball games tonight for a local 2 year college. Had an 18 y/o female collapse in the middle of the game. Became unresponsive, pale, clamy, had a rapid heart beat. All I could (and all I've ever done) in situations like those are record vitals, comfort patient, treat if I can (rarely) and refer (always). So while I waited the 10min for EMS to come, I couldn't help but think how much more I have to learn and WILL learn to be able to do more for patients like these. As nerve wrecking as it was, it got me super excited to start PA school and expand my scope and knowledge base.

Anyone else having similar experiences?

24 y/o certified athletic trainer here as well.  I start pa school in January and am pretty pumped.  I know exactly how you feel as far as getting to learn so much more.  I also worked with division 1 sports and completed a couple internships with both MLB and NFL teams and had very similar situations where I reached the scope of my practice and couldn't really do much more.  I had a baseball player break their ankle and all I could do was splint and send to the ER.  The next day I shadowed the surgery and I saw everything the PA was doing and that made me want to advance even more.  Good luck! 

23 y/o Clinical Research Coordinator. I find myself trying to learn so much more at my current job in preparation for PA school. I also find myself spending more time looking through patient's charts to find out ALL the details and not miss anything regarding Adverse Events and Treatment. I am beyond excited and ready to start PA School!! However, I still have about 6 months before I start. :)

• 1 month later...

28 y/o and I am also starting PA school in May and can't wait! I have been a respiratory therapist for almost 4 years and decided to further my education in medicine into PA after working alongside some amazing PAs and MDs. I work the ICU, ER, NICU and PICU and excited to learn more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 y/o and I am also starting PA school in May and can't wait! I have been a respiratory therapist for almost 4 years and decided to further my education in medicine into PA after working alongside some amazing PAs and MDs. I work the ICU, ER, NICU and PICU and excited to learn more!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like you have a great background and are ready for the next big step.

We have had a bunch of ATs and respiratory therapists through the program. They have almost always done well and have been a pleasure to work with. Good luck!

I'm glad to hear that! I have a couple RT friends finish

PA school and they said it was hard but with a medical background make it a little easier.

@MPL, I'm also an RT and start PA school this year. Ever since I started working with PAs as an RT (5 years now) it slowly became a dream of mine. The last two years I've poured every ounce of energy I have into the hopes of getting into PA school and its finally here. It's not possible for me to be more excited about it! Good to see a fellow RT doing the same!

Archived