Francis Marion University - Florence, SC NEW program in 2016?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morganbmac - I really liked the program! The faculty is very dedicated to ensuring the program is successful. Everyone is very passionate about primary care and rural medicine, so if you don't have any interest in eventually practicing medicine in the Pee Dee area, you probably won't be a good fit. The new program will be taking place in a brand-new health sciences facility in Downtown Florence, and they talked about how we'll be collaborating with students from USC Medical School, the nursing program, and the clinical psychology program. The director of the PA program has started PA programs and been a faculty member elsewhere so he's very knowledgable. 

jkhayes1 - There were seven people at my interview and they've received over 700 applications so far. They will be filling 32 spots. The reason I was waitlisted is because my GPA is a little low (3.15). They are not conducting interviews in October because the accreditation board is doing a site visit. There will be interviews in November and not in December. If I am offered a spot, I probably won't hear about it until at least January. 

• 3 weeks later...

Supposedly, they are trying to matriculate in Fall of 2016... The building is finally finished. I do know that! Lol

Actually the building is still under construction in downtown Florence ....supposed to be done in June 2016...I was out there about 3 weeks ago and it basically is an erector set with a roof and they are working on the internal systems and walls.  I have a few pictures...

Even though this is not a "more the merrier" type situation, you can still apply through CASPA.   

I'm aware that I am still able to apply. But specifically, I was wondering if people knew how many interviews they were doing or until when. It would be fairly pointless if I wasted money to apply and they only had 2 more interview sessions and sent out interview invites on a rolling basis. Schools likely fill their class way before their deadline, especially with deadlines ending this late. I'm unsure of how full the class may already be

I'm aware that I am still able to apply. But specifically, I was wondering if people knew how many interviews they were doing or until when. It would be fairly pointless if I wasted money to apply and they only had 2 more interview sessions and sent out interview invites on a rolling basis. Schools likely fill their class way before their deadline, especially with deadlines ending this late. I'm unsure of how full the class may already be

My understanding is it is not yet full...my application was complete on 9/16 so who knows if my application will come to the top of the stack let alone any after...They apparently received a ton of applications.  So it's really a roll of the dice...

I actually work at FMU and interviewed with 7 others in the first interview group for the program in September. I spoke with one of the faculty members today and she mentioned they are still reviewing all of the applications that are coming in through CASPA. As far as interviews go, they have 2 dates lined up for November and December. Only 12 people are being interviewed in November and I have no idea how many are being brought in for interviews in December (my guess is probably around 12 since they seem to want to keep the groups small). Out of the 7 people that interviewed with me in September, 4 were accepted. I declined my acceptance, so currently there are 3 people who have committed to be in the program. That means they have 29 more seats to fill. They have received a ton of applications, but I think you still have a chance especially if you're a strong candidate.Best of luck to everyone!!!

I applied in late September but didn't get the supplemental in until mid October. The letter came in about a week and a half after they received the supplemental application. It just said they received my application and it was now under review and came with an attached copy of the payment receipt.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived