Francis Marion University - Florence, SC NEW program in 2016?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still waiting to hear about requirements myself. I'm a Family Medicine resident physician at McLeod Health and one of the reasons I ranked my local program first is that I was excited to be on the ground level of a developing program as a preceptor, guest lecturer etc. I know they've hired a program director and the proposed medical director has a good reputation as director of clinical education for AHEC for quite some time.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about curriculum or prereqs yet. I think it's looking like it will be a fairly traditional program feeding from their undergrad science majors. I have not been able to find out anything about HCE requirements, cost, etc.

I can tell you that our hospital system is outstanding and there is a very strong community health network very close by. Anywhere within a 10-mile radius of Florence is rural/underserved. The Pee Dee has been horribly underserved for a long time and there is a great need for more homegrown PAs and physicians alike. They're graduating their first FNP class soon (not sure I'm impressed with them at all yet...stay tuned).

• 1 month later...

Talked with the new PD a couple weeks ago. I like him. He set up the new PA program in Saudi Arabia and has taught at programs in Pittsburgh and I think at Methodist in Charlotte.

At this time he's still doing everything himself. Hasn't gotten green light to hire faculty and staff yet. That concerns me a bit. It was right before spring semester started though so I imagine he will have more info soon.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How did they contact you about the interview? 

I submitted my application the last week in August. I hope that wasn't too late!! When I asked about the process she said the earliest i could interview would be in October. The first set of interviews will be the end of this month. So that will be the one on Sept 25! Good luck guys.

How did they contact you about the interview? 

I submitted my application the last week in August. I hope that wasn't too late!! When I asked about the process she said the earliest i could interview would be in October. The first set of interviews will be the end of this month. So that will be the one on Sept 25! Good luck guys.

I received a phone call from the admissions office. After I confirmed that I'd be able to attend, I received an email with details. Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived