Air Force Physician Assistant

My information is dated. I understand the Air Force has changed. I was in 91-94. It was the easiest, most enjoyable job of my life. I snow skied every day at lunch for two hours (winter) played basket ball in the summer.  The pace was reasonable and with the benefits, the income was okay. Patients were TOTALLY compliant (or in deep trouble with their commanding officers) But talk to a more recent Air Force person. I've heard from some that say it is a bad job now.

My information is dated. I understand the Air Force has changed. I was in 91-94. It was the easiest, most enjoyable job of my life. I snow skied every day at lunch for two hours (winter) played basket ball in the summer.  The pace was reasonable and with the benefits, the income was okay. Patients were TOTALLY compliant (or in deep trouble with their commanding officers) But talk to a more recent Air Force person. I've heard from some that say it is a bad job now.

I was an AF medic prior to PA school, 1991-96.

I dont remember seeing any of the PAs skiing or playing basketball. But a nice gig if you can find it.

I did 3 clinical rotations as a PA student at same base hospital I was a medic at.

Transitioning to TriCare at that time, spring 98, PAs were separating and retiring en masse due to drawdown.

So no more dependents, no more retirees to care for. More focus on the mission and what needs to be done to accomplish that.

Just younger healthy troops. Usually reasonably motivated. Lot of viral illness and orthopedic complaints along with psych.

I think you will find that in any branch you consider.

I have posted before that active duty military service is not for everyone or even most people. But I think it is a great experience if you are ready to make the best of it.

Currently I think DOD is in the midst of a drawdown. So spots may be tight. If you can wait for a short time, usually the pendulum swings the other way, also depends upon the shift in political sands.

Prior to active duty, I lived in an area with a large military population of all branches. The consensus I got from multiple conversations with enlisted and officers from all branches was to go Air Force. Overall they felt there was just a better quality of life. But the military is a new world over the last decade. For instance physical fitness standards have ramped up from what I have been able to review.

http://www.afpc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110804-054.pdf

I never had to do a timed pushup or situp after basic training. You may look at that and think this is no big deal but evaluations and promotions depend upon decent scores if you plan on making the AF a career. Someone can correct me but it is likely that as a PA you will likely find it very difficult to be promoted above major, if you even get to that grade.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

I recently talked to an Air Force recruiter, and for Active Duty, there are no slots for new PAs for FY15. I don't know if that is a regional thing, or if it is even true. I didn't look, I just took the recruiter at his word, which you should not do if you are dead set on the AF. The Army National Guard offered me a slot with a local unit, and 75K loan repayment for a 3 year commitment. I'm prior Army, so I knew that would work for me. YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Air Force active duty now. It's an okay job. There are some pros and cons to it, just like anything else. If OP is both new to the military AND a new PA, they will have a hard time though. When I was an LT, I was absolutely crapped on. This has gotten much better since my promotion to captain. It's not just at my base either. I spoke to a new PA and LT at another base that I basically had to talk off the ledge because she was suicidal (she's doing much better now).

This is only in family health. Space missile medicine and specialties are chill, low stress jobs, where the PAs are pretty happy. The guys who are prior enlisted or have previous military experience in some capacity seem to be pretty happy overall though.

Also, the military has become a very entitled patient population. I've never worked as a PA in the civilian world, but people that have tell me that our patients are way worse. Also, they are not necessarily compliant. Some are, some aren't.

I was an AF medic prior to PA school, 1991-96.

I dont remember seeing any of the PAs skiing or playing basketball. But a nice gig if you can find it.

I did 3 clinical rotations as a PA student at same base hospital I was a medic at.

Transitioning to TriCare at that time, spring 98, PAs were separating and retiring en masse due to drawdown.

So no more dependents, no more retirees to care for. More focus on the mission and what needs to be done to accomplish that.

Just younger healthy troops. Usually reasonably motivated. Lot of viral illness and orthopedic complaints along with psych.

I think you will find that in any branch you consider.

I have posted before that active duty military service is not for everyone or even most people. But I think it is a great experience if you are ready to make the best of it.

Currently I think DOD is in the midst of a drawdown. So spots may be tight. If you can wait for a short time, usually the pendulum swings the other way, also depends upon the shift in political sands.

Prior to active duty, I lived in an area with a large military population of all branches. The consensus I got from multiple conversations with enlisted and officers from all branches was to go Air Force. Overall they felt there was just a better quality of life. But the military is a new world over the last decade. For instance physical fitness standards have ramped up from what I have been able to review.

http://www.afpc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110804-054.pdf

I never had to do a timed pushup or situp after basic training. You may look at that and think this is no big deal but evaluations and promotions depend upon decent scores if you plan on making the AF a career. Someone can correct me but it is likely that as a PA you will likely find it very difficult to be promoted above major, if you even get to that grade.

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

Many of my patients are retirees and dependents. You do have to do physical fitness tests every 6 months, but it's really not that big of a deal. I barely train for it and pass it pretty easily.

There is a 98% promotion rate for PAs from captain to major. It gets much harder after major, but many PAs don't want command positions anyway and will generally specialize as a major.

Personally, I don't regret my decision to join the Air Force. The people that I work with are great (the command is another story) and I've learned a lot here. I've had some pretty rare and difficult pathologies. It's a good place for a new PA in that sense, in my opinion.

However, at least for me personally, it's not beneficial to stay in passed my initial commitment. So I'll be getting out (as a PA anyway) once my commitment is finished.

OP here,

Thanks for all the information! 

I would be new both the military and to the profession, and I definitely find it intimidating. I have family in the Air Force, and all say it has been a fantastic decision that has really helped them personally. I have a lot of thinking to do, and will need to talk with some recruiters and other Air Force PAs for sure, but I appreciate the insights! Is everyone here active duty, or did anyone go reserve while practicing? 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived