Grand Rapids Commuting

Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to have just been accepted to Grand Valley along with another school.  I love almost everything about Grand Valley and have only one concern.  I will have to be commuting from Lowell as it is about half way between Grand Rapids and Lansing (my husband works in Lansing).  I've heard that Grand Rapids can have some very harsh winters due to the lake effect.  My question is: has anyone who has to commute to Grand Valley found it difficult to do so in the winter?  

Thank you very much!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi s1ba,

I have lived in Grand Rapids all my life and the winters are pretty bad. It gets in the way of commuting at times so you'll probably have to add lots of extra commute time, especially from Lowell. If you don't have experiance driving in the snow you'll want to take it very slow. Since GVSU/Grand Rapids is close to Lake Michigan, we really feel the pain of lake effect snow, much more than central/eastern MI. Snow is one of the big reasons I am applying to out of state schools!  Let me know if you have more questions about the area. I got my undergrad from GVSU so I have knowledge about the area.

Archived