2015 Accepted Students!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dcbrown and jcastro805-- thanks so much for your responses. I really appreciate them.

I have been out of school for a while and I want to make sure that from a "tech" perspective I am as up to speed as I can be when I start.

What advice would you have for me as to what are the Apps I should familiarize myself with; Jcastro previously mentioned Evernote- do you guys use them; do you find that you take the majority of your notes on the computer?? Really any techniques that you find helpful that you use would be a great help.

Many thanks-- again!!!

No worries for the info, we are glad to help. I personally don't use any apps for note taking; instead, I use paper handouts of the lecture slides. They will offer you this option at the beginning of the program. But as far as I can tell, evernote is the most popular for those who take computer notes.

That is exactly what I do... I actually tend to use the readings to supplement my lecture notes. I'm old school as well, as are many of my classmates. Google Docs will become your best friend. Our class has our own Google Drive, and we share EVERYTHING! Classmates will post their own personal notes, summaries, objective info, etc. to the google drive, so that everybody benefits. PA school is a team effort, and everybody contributes to everybody else's success.

Yep, what Castro said. I use a combination of Evernote and Google docs, but recently have started going more towards Google docs for just about everything, Evernote has had a few bugs recently which makes cutting and pasting and outlining a little more labor intensive than I would like.  I also heavily rely on the printed slides provided for classes.  It's really important to keep your study guides and notes organized from the get go.

Y'all are starting later than we did last year and you're also on a new version of the curriculum so I honestly have no idea when you might be off between semesters.  Our break was August 15 - 24.  So don't plan on anything prior to that.  If you really need to know something you can always email Erin McKan at admissions, her email is on the website.  She'll steer you in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

There's another thread -- http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/15466-quick-poll-loan-repayment-time/

that has some good commentary on loans, repayment, loan forgiveness.

It doesn't have any silver bullet, but it has some good info for knowing what you're getting into ... and how to get out of it eventually!

Thanks! I didn't do loans for undergrad so it's new territory for me and despite the scary numbers for 3 years at GW that thread was definitely helpful and a little reassuring!

ASkagg, don't give up hope yet!! There are two people in our first year class that were invited to come to to GW from the waitlist the week before classes started! Anything can happen :) 

Also on financial aid: Has Erin M. set up the wiki page yet? If not, watch for that email. That's where all the details will come on how to apply and for how much. I know it sounds crazy but don't worry about the money! You will definitely get enough to cover school + all living expenses. GW will tell you how much to apply for. That being said, do some research to see if govt loans are the best option for you. Personally, I am doing the Stafford govt loans and supplementing with a student loan through my bank because the interest rates and initiation fees were quite a bit lower than the Grad Plus loan. 

I got accepted to an in state school. I will most like be withdrawing from GW to attend the in state school. Hopefully it will open up a spot for you.

Do you mind letting us know when you do that? Just would like to know when the offer goes out. Also, are you a dual degree candidate?

Archived