VA Salary Negotiations

I am getting ready to negotiate salary for a new job offer with a VA hospital working in ortho. Just curious how much flexibility there is in the salary negotiation. Do they just assign to the GS scale or is there some give and take. They have hinted at student loan repayment, relocation, and sign on bonus possibilities that I expect to adjust for the overall lower salary that I imagine the VA will offer. VA also has excellent benefits. We have not spoken about if call pay is included in the salary or extra compensation yet. I was planning on taking an AAPA salary survey in with me but am unsure if this will actually help if there is not much "wiggle room". Thank you for any input.

• 1 month later...
... I was planning on taking an AAPA salary survey in with me but am unsure if this will actually help if there is not much "wiggle room". Thank you for any input.

I've never heard of this helping, but it's worth a shot.

From what I've heard, the VA throws money at people, I can only assume there is a lot of flexibility in salary negotiation. I'm also in Maine, so things are probably different here.

Archived