Rejected... what now?

I havent gotten a letter or an email. I'm guessing that something just got lost in the mail so I'm just assuming I didnt get in.

My main concern is for next year. If I didnt even get an alternate spot or a hold then it seems like I really wasn't that close to getting in. I feel like I nailed my interview so it's kind of frustrating because it must be that my GPA was too low and I didn't have enough volunteering. I plan on doing more volunteer work this year but aside from that I can't really do much about my GPA aside from taking 1 or 2 classes which will microscopically change my GPA. I have 3+ years as an EMT.

Were any of the people who got accepted multiple year applicants? Can you speak on the chances of getting in next year if I didn't even get an alternate or hold spot? I plan on setting up an appointment to see what I need to work on but I wanted to hear from you guys to see if you guys had advice.

Thanks, and congrats to all those that got in.

Well I think Western is one that takes the higher grade when calculating (they do not simply take the CASPA calculations) so re-taking a few courses may help you out more than you think.

It may not be that you were a bad applicant just not as competitive as the rest.

I would contact the program and ask what you could do to be a stronger applicant.

I would also take a few higher level sciences...if your GPA is subpar take these classes to show that you can handle higher level sciences (i.e. pathophysiology, general pharm, biochem if you havent, immunology, virology etc.). By acing these you will increase your science AND overall GPA. If you simply need to increase your overall GPA try taking some health science courses and acing those (i.e. healthcare delivery systems, med term, epidemonology, community health, health law, healthcare ethics etc.)

A 2.9 is just too low for many schools. MWU won't even look at you unless you're a 3.3 and then you have to have something that stands out from the rest. Your hce is good so you're going to have to do retakes on your Cs and then apply at schools that just look at the last 45-60 credits. Good luck.

I dont completely disagree because whats on paper does get you the interview however when it comes down to selection they look at everything and compare everything to other applicants.

Take Emory for example. When I interviewed I met with the admissions director and assistant, 2- faculty members, 1- 2nd year student, 1- graduating student and 1- first year throughout the course of the interview however the ADCOM consisted of 25 other people. The ADCOM doesnt simply go off notes from your interview, they look at everything because they have to. On top of that, I was in a later group so not only was I compared to students that interviewed that month but I was also compared to students whom had been waitlisted up to that point.

In the end whats on paper needs to be good enough to get you in the door but the whole package needs to be good enough to get you a seat. Im a great inetrviewer but not all great interviewers are going to get a seat every where they apply. I scored well on my interviews and was told so when I asked for feedback....in the end it was the stuff on paper (the same stuff that got me in the door) that I needed to work on (basically told that stuff in progress hurt me)

a couple people told me this... and there may be truth to it (although just me may disagree based on some of her interviewing experience): if you get an interview, it means that your numbers and essay paved the way (and western has a supplemental as well that you probably did well on). after that, it is the interview that sinks candidates. id try to find out from the school what they thought about you. western gets a lot of applications, but maybe because you interviewed, they could possibly have more to be able to tell you. i think if they didnt think you had the academics to be appealing, you wouldnt have been invited for the interview. its always good to keep taking coursework, though. if i had taken a break after i appliedthis cycle, i wouldnt have 10 more credits of 4.0 upper division credits on my transcript that i have now. i just figured i would keep at it in case i didnt get in this cycle. glad i did because i havent got in anywhere yet. but next year i will be better off. prepare for all paths.

Guest guthriesm

Are you absolutely sure you were rejected? I would get that confirmation - it could be they are still selecting.

That said, you definitely need to do SOMETHING to make sure you aren't the exact same candidate. Volunteer, take more higher level sciences, and spend more time working. See if you can set up mock interviews with people to practice answering questions. Ask your references for their feedback too - clearly they supported you and can tell you strengths and weaknesses. Find a medical mission trip and help abroad. Time is on your side - no mandate says you need to start any particular year.

Also, look at the program(s) you applied to- are you really the best fit? The interview day is critical b/c the school is trying to figure out if you match with them but you also need to feel the same way- were you really the best match?

Some schools are more forgiving of a 2.9 GPA when paired with significant work experience so I would expand your search. Life may make it hard to move but if your dream is to be in PA school, then figure out how to make it work.

I am on the same boat. I have not received a reply and I am sure I got rejected because my interview did not go very well. I would like some advice from any current students or students that got accepted on how to become a more competitive candidate for the next year. My biggest mistake is that I only applied to 2 schools. However, I was really lucky to have received interview invitations to both schools. I have 2 years of research experience; I am a coauthor of 2 publications; 400hrs of volunteer; 380hrs of volunteering in a hospital; 100hrs of shadowing. After graduation, I repeated the courses I got Cs at a community college and received a GPA of 4.0. This year I did not take any classes because I got a job as a laboratory technician in microbiology. I am debating whether to go back to a community college and continue to repeat courses or take upper division courses through extension at a 4yr university or maybe even a masters. Any advice???

ttaggart, I feel your pain! But you need to call the schools and check....there is a chance you've been waitlisted and not all hope is lost! I have higher stats than you with 17000+ HCE and here I am calling for 2nd LORs. Even if you take additional courses they wont show as final grades on the caspa...and with so many applications schools are able to reject ppl who are still working on coursework. This happened to me at 1 school, they never even looked at my application...my 2nd school waitlisted my application until I completed OChem in December and then interviewed me with 4 spots open to 20 applications and a waitlist.

I would love to take some upper division courses at the university but I would basically have to quit my job to attend summer school for 2 months. I work in a specialized field so that would leave me with no source of income and nothing to do from August 2011 until June 2012 assuming I got in....but how is 11 months of bumming around going to look on an application. If only I could dedicate my entire personal essay to "why a bachelors degree in psychology was a horrible mistake".......

Maybe we can run away to the peace corps together...that would look good and who cares about family! I have to assume you can only persevere....if nothing else your 2nd year of applications will show dedication to the career.

Kolack I would say if you can apply to more than 3-4 schools then you should. Coursework in progress is not an automatic disqualifier with every program. I applied to quite a few schools (some I disqualified myself from because my graduation date changed and for one I applied to the wrong campus)...anywho I have my degree in progress AND a pre-req and was still accepted to two schools. I would say if you can branch out from the west coast then do so....it seems as though quite a few health programs on that side of the country are getting a high increase of applicants. While looking for a backup plan I spoke with a direct entry nursing program and was told all nursing programs in CA were impacted....this particular program was looking at applicants for two years out :-(

I finally did get my hold status letter in the mail, but I'm not holding out much hope on that. It looks like I'll just have to try and fit in some more CS hours and shadowing hours. I can't believe people have hundreds, possible thousands of hours of CS and 50+ hours of shadowing. Between going back to school, taking classes, working full time, and being married I just don't see where you have the time. I guess all I can really do is get my few CS hrs per week, try and shdaow some more PAs, and then maybe take another class or two. But I don't know how much I can expect to do by the time we have to turn in our CASPA apps. It's cool though cause I'm making boat loads of money working as an EMT, hah!

My CS came from being a member of the PTA and my daughter was a girl scout.....I also held an office with our chapter of PTK. I worked FT, attend school FT and a single parent.....there wasnt much free time for me to dedicate CS

Keep in mind, most of these people have been doing it since they were in high school and for some it IS their health care experience

I finally did get my hold status letter in the mail, but I'm not holding out much hope on that. It looks like I'll just have to try and fit in some more CS hours and shadowing hours. I can't believe people have hundreds, possible thousands of hours of CS and 50+ hours of shadowing. Between going back to school, taking classes, working full time, and being married I just don't see where you have the time. I guess all I can really do is get my few CS hrs per week, try and shdaow some more PAs, and then maybe take another class or two. But I don't know how much I can expect to do by the time we have to turn in our CASPA apps. It's cool though cause I'm making boat loads of money working as an EMT, hah!

• 1 year later...

How much volunteer work did you have? I have an interview coming up on Feb 8 and I am concerned this factor will be a problem for me since I don't have as much volunteer experience as others seem to have. My GPA seems to be on par with the average students of other PA students and I do have a lot of HCE, but it doesn't seem that Western doesn't take that into consideration as much as volunteer work.

How much volunteer work did you have? I have an interview coming up on Feb 8 and I am concerned this factor will be a problem for me since I don't have as much volunteer experience as others seem to have. My GPA seems to be on par with the average students of other PA students and I do have a lot of HCE, but it doesn't seem that Western doesn't take that into consideration as much as volunteer work.

Archived