1/10/15 Heritage University Interview Group

Hi all!

I wanted to start a thread for those of us invited to interview at Heritage University on Jan 10th.

I thought it would be nice to swap info and meet up on the afternoon/evening of the 9th in the Yakima area when many of us are in town - always helps to have some familiar faces sitting in an interview room.

I will be driving over on Jan 9th with my husband. Is anyone from the area that could suggest Starbucks/restaurant that might work well for this?

A little about me:

Live/work in Bellingham, WA area.

I attended WWU from 2005-2010.

Work background: CNA, ER tech, ER/hospital phlebotomist, medical scribe at an asthma clinic and now at an ortho practice.

I have applied to MEDEX multiple times without ever being invited to interview. I was SO thrilled to find this program earlier last year. I look forward to meeting you all - and goodluck to everyone

Hi I'll be driving up from Portland. I'll be there Jan 10 too. It's my first year applying and I've had interviews at 2 other programs, but still waiting to hear anything! So Heritage will be interview #3 for me. I got my BS from UofO a looong time ago :) and then went to physical therapist assistant school and have been a physical therapist asst for years now :) Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Most likely since the drive from Portland is 3 hrs. I figure that I'll need to drive up the afternoon/evening before on the 9th. Haven't figured out where I'll be staying or anything yet though. Also hoping the weather isn't too dicey that time of year!!

No idea yet- likely in Yakima somewhere. There is a Quality Inn in Toppenish if you want to be about 2 min from the campus. My husband and I were thinking it would be night to attempt to relax the night before and there are more options in Yakima - only a 25 minute drive away. For me the short drive there will probably help me mentally prepare to be in "interview mode".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm interviewing on the 24th, not the 10th, but I figured it would say hello to you all anyway! What is everybody's background? Has anybody talked to current students about the interview process or their experience with the program? Is Heritage the first choice for anybody here?

A little about me: Years of working as an EMT, CNA and ER Tech. Decided to make the jump to PA about 5 years ago and have been working steadily towards that goal ever since. Definitely want to do rural/critical access medicine after school, so Heritage is my number one choice for PA school (I love how they have their clinical rotations set up).

Hi,

Background as a CNA, ER tech, ER Phleb, medical scribe/MA at various clinics. Heritage is definitely my first choice.

FYI: I will be staying at The Ledgestone Inn just off the freeway in Yakima. I should be getting in on Friday afternoon. If anyone wants to meet up PM me; I was thinking of a Starbucks or coffee shop somewhere in the area (haven't googled any yet).

Hey guys!

I am interviewing on the 10th, and will be driving in from Seattle. I booked a room at the Quality Inn Toppenish ( one less thing to stress about on the 10th- getting lost!) and will be there on friday 9th. If anyone is staying there or close by , lets meet for a quick chat :)

Hi RealWayPA, 

I was one of the interviewee on 1/10 and the interview went really well, because I got accepted this afternoon.  The interview was really relaxed, it felt more like a discussion than an interview. So, I wouldn't be too stress about it. The committee just wants to get to know the person behind the application. The important thing is to be yourself, be confident, and breathe.  Good luck on your upcoming interview! 

Anyone familiar with the Yakima area?? I will be attending Heritage University in June 2015 and looking for a place to rent, but not sure where.  I heard that Union Gap and West Valley are good communities to live in.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance :)

From what I have gathered, West valley is primarily where the majority of students are living for both the PA and DO programs. There is a group of apartments that are close to the DO school. Current students also mentioned they often carpool to the Toppenish campus which is about 25 minutes away.     

HI sheenajoy, 

Congrats on your interview on the 24th! I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure out what questions they are going to ask. Because some questions are out there in left field. I think the most important thing to remember for the interview is to relax and be yourself.  They're just trying to get to know you.  As for my background: I worked in undeserved community as a MA for 18+ years, CNA, have a BS degree from UW, cum GPA (not excellent, but pretty decent), but very high Science GPA, and shadowed several PAs around the Pacific Northwest area. 

--Hope this helps and Good Luck!!!

I lived in Yakima for a while.  I wouldn't say that West valley is where a majority of the DO students live.  West valley is on the opposite side of Yakima from PNWU.  Terrace heights is the community around the DO school, and has nice areas.  West valley is definitely a nice area though, just far away from both Heritage and PNWU.  Union gap might be a good compromise if you can find good housing.  I don't know much about that area though.

Archived