Opinions needed for GI offer (new grad) - Texas

Hey all!

It seems like everyone here gives really awesome advice on job offers. I know as a new grad, it is kind of tough because we probably don't know any better...and also we are afraid of 'conflicts' arising from negotiating a contract because frankly, "we really need a job!" (grr... loans). 

According to the AAPA, the salary (50th percentile) in Texas for a single specialty group practice is 93-95k, but factoring experience (<4yrs) and 'other' specialty (nonprimary) it is 89,500.

So here's my recent offer from a single specialty physician group practice at an GI outpatient clinic:

- Outpatient, 8-5pm no weekends, no calls. I will be going between two locations (about 10 miles apart)

- exempt salary of 92k/year

- CME $2000 (but this includes memberships such as AAPA, TAPA..etc)

- An opportunity of earning 10k in bonuses but the details are not yet described to me 

- Health insurance only (No dental or vision, but I may participate if I pay for it myself)

- 2 weeks vacation

- 6 PTO days 

- Holidays off deemed by the practice

I did not sign my offer letter yet as I want to take a few days to 'marinade' everything. My fiance tells me to ask 95k (I say that he's insane), lol. 

My current concern is the licensure fees (DEA..etc) I don't mind paying for DPS myself since it is only $25,  but I found out DEA is a hefty 730! Also, if I account the AAPA and TAPA memberships, I have a remaining of ~1500 in CME, which is reasonable, I guess?

I'm not sure what is fair to request for during this process and avoid sounding greedy at the same time... x)

Any inputs are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I would say that if they expect you to be prescribing any controlled substances it seems reasonable for them to pay for the DEA. If they won't, I wouldn't spend CME money on it. You'll want that for actual CME stuff.

It can never hurt to ask for a little bit more. The worst they can do is say no... It's not like they'll take back the offer :-)

they should pay for all your licenses outside your CME

Say $1000 for CME for your use as you see fit and then they cover all license and professional org fees - ie aapa, Some GI association......

i would honestly go for another week of vacation instead of higher pay - you will want more time then $$$

counter with 

-Outpatient, 8-5pm no weekends, no calls. I will be going between two locations (about 10 miles apart)

- reimbursed mileage to be submitted quarterly (they owe this to you)

- exempt salary of 92k/year

- CME $1000 for courses and books for your use - at your discretion 

- they pay for state license, state controlled license, all NCCPA fees, DEA, Membership in one national and one state professional organization

- An opportunity of earning 10k in bonuses but the details are not yet described to me  (yeah the unattainable reward.... get the details IN WRITING prior to signing otherwise you will never see it)

- Health insurance only (No dental or vision, but I may participate if I pay for it myself) - make sure 100% paid for a family policy, and what the ded is

- 4 weeks vacation

- 3 days CME

- 6 personal/sick days days 

- Holidays off deemed by the practice - you must have a list - should be around 10 but no less then 8 - but aim for all major which is 12 or 13

That would be a darn fine offer (but you will work hard with 45 hours a week of scheduled time.....

• 5 months later...

Archived