PA Provisional Accreditation Status Programs - Pros / Cons

My question concerns provisional accredited schools. If you read the ARC-PA description of who is eligible to sit for the PANCE, a person who started at a provisional school would not be able to take the PANCE even if their school was to gain accreditation before they finished their studies (didactic or clinics).  See attached from ARC-PA:

The program I am considering has provisional accreditation. What happens to me as a student if it does not receive accreditation?

Provisional accreditation is an active accreditation status. Prior to 2003, those graduating from a PA program that held an active accreditation status at any time during the student's enrollment were considered graduates of an accredited program, and thus were eligible to sit for the NCCPA exam. This policy changed in 2003 and in order to be eligible to take the PANCE, students must successfully complete a program that was accredited at the time the student matriculated. It is best to check with the NCCPA concerning exam eligibility criteria.

I interpret this to say that the program must be fully accredited when the student is admitted to the program for this student to sit for the exam.  So what happens to all the students that enter a provisional program that graduate when the program does become accredited although they entered under provisional status.  Do they not get to sit for this exam? Are other eligibility criteria involved or grandfather rules?

It's saying that the old rule said that if a school held accreditation at any point during a student's time there, the student can sit for the exam. Now the program must be accredited at the student's matriculation. The first sentence qualifies provisional accreditation as active. The rest of the paragraph isn't contradicting that. Any type of accreditation counts.

Thanks, that makes sense. Do you have any suggestions on how to evaluate a provisional accredited programs progress toward full accreditation?  Are there any progress reports or other information available from ARC-PA, NCCPA that might give insight to whether or not a program will reach full accreditation?

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if this is still up to date? I am also considering a provisionally accredited school. According to the same source (ARC-PAC.org), there is no longer the 'Provisional accreditation is an active accreditation status' and merely just states the rest of 

Prior to 2003, those graduating from a PA program that held an active accreditation status at any time during the student's enrollment were considered graduates of an accredited program, and thus were eligible to sit for the NCCPA exam. This policy changed in 2003 and in order to be eligible to take the PANCE, students must successfully complete a program that was accredited at the time the student matriculated. It is best to check with the NCCPA concerning exam eligibility criteria.

Therefore, would I be eligible to take PANCE if school is provisionally accredited when I start and graduate? 

If you read the Q&A on ARC-PA, it still states the same thing:

"Provisional accreditation is an active accreditation status. Prior to 2003, those graduating from a PA program that held an active accreditation status at any time during the student’s enrollment were considered graduates of an accredited program, and thus were eligible to sit for the NCCPA exam. This policy changed in 2003 and in order to be eligible to take the PANCE, students must successfully complete a program that was accredited at the time the student matriculated. It is best to check with the NCCPA concerning exam eligibility criteria."

Provisional accreditation just means the program is new. Hope it helps.

Archived