I am planning to pick top schools (Duke, Weil, UC Davis, USC ... ). I also plan to apply to local schools in my area, which is in Florida (UF, Nova, Keiser). But I am not sure if I should consider this because of my spotty academic record (low gpa from 1st bachelors, withdrawing form a nursing school with good standing, and failing out of an ASN program). Is there any way to show adcom from these schools that I can be an equally competitive candidate than those with not so spotty academic records? I am planning to take between 3 to 4 years to build up a strong application.

To address a spotty record I have been doing the following:

After nursing I will:

• Start GRE early to get a near perfect score (this is possible. I have seen students with scores below 292 raised it to 336. Apparently this is possible with committment and dedication more than 3 months.)
  • I will be preparing for PANCE early through CME, and baord exam questions
  • Participate in CE's and CME's to become more aware of how to procedures, diagnostics, are done
  • I will be reviewing ways to do patient interview, and patient intake

After my first bachelors I plan to:

• Work with a private tutor to learn better study skills
  • Get a second bachelors in the sciences, which also fulfull preprequisites for PA school
  • There has been an upward trend in grades since nursing school.

To gain better clinical experience I am

• Searching for a paid work as a PCT
  • Right now I am working as a resident assistant, and planning to volunteer in a hospital.

Sounds like a great plan. You want to make your application stand out in other ways that would offset your GPA. An uptrending GPA, certifications, good paid experience, and an exceptional essay might do the trick.

I might consider taking the GRE a little bit later in the game so you can not only benefit from the education you have received, but also to avoid having the score "expire" for the schools that have a time limit. IIRC, the time limit at UF is 5 years.

I wish you all the best! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bathinrouz
      Hey Yall
      Currently prepping for the PANCE. I have been studying for the past two months from PPP and ROSH. Initially I did alot of reading from PPP with scattered questions realizing quickly this is not as effective as making notes. I started to make notes for the bigger systems, such as CARDS, PULM, GI, MSK. Ive been studying everyday from 10-12 hours and with a week left I get this feeling that Im not ready. 
      Below I posted my results I took two weeks ago, not sure how to feel. 
      My question to yall is, what are some strategies you used to take exams? what algorithm did you have in your mind when analyzing a question. 
      My ROSH score is a 578 with 92% passing but I understand this isnt as predictable. 
      I have played with Kaplan and have scored in the mid 60s to 70s on it within each organ system. 

• By PANY20
      Selling my Rosh Review. It is active until Jan 09 2020. 
    • By sas5814
      PAFT would like to congratulate the following newly elected officers of the AAPA Board of Directors and
      House of Delegates who were endorsed by PAFT.
      President-elect:
      Beth R. Smolko, DMSc, MMS, PA-C
      Director-at-Large:
      Jennifer Orozco, MMS, PA-C, DFAAPA
      House of Delegates
      Director/Second Vice Speaker of the House:
      Leslie Clayton Milteer, PA-C, MPAS, DFAAPA
      PAFT, for the third year in a row, has had 100% of its endorsed candidate successfully elected. Overall
      greater than 94% of PAFT’s endorsed candidates have been elected. It seems PAFTs ideals and values are
      in keeping with the majority of voting members of AAPA.
      Why not come see if we agree with yours.
      Join PAFT.
    • By Pastudent463
      What are some book/resources that you used to study for the PAEA end of rotation exams. Did you follow the blueprint exactly when studying? 
      Thanks!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More