Intervie Attire

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get a quick opinion for what I wear to an upcoming interview. I want to stay professional, but at the same time would like to stand out from the rest of the crowd. I'm wearing a dark grey suit, but I need help with my shirt and tie. Would it be too much to wear a lightly pin striped shirt with a checkered tie or a light blue checkered shirt with a checkered pattern as well? Or should I stay with the standard white shirt?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get a quick opinion for what I wear to an upcoming interview. I want to stay professional, but at the same time would like to stand out from the rest of the crowd. I'm wearing a dark grey suit, but I need help with my shirt and tie. Would it be too much to wear a lightly pin striped shirt with a checkered tie or a light blue checkered shirt with a checkered pattern as well? Or should I stay with the standard white shirt?

Thanks!

Hey,

Definitely wear a suit. I personally wore a dark grey suit with a baby blue shirt and a grey striped tie. I would say if it looks good and it's not too flashy and you can pull it off then definitely go for it. 

Two handed handshake? On the off-chance that you weren't kidding, that's a no. I interview prospective students and a handshake like that from someone I just met would creep me out. I can only imagine what a female interviewer would think.

As to ties, wear something you like that isn't too edgy. The people that will be interviewing you will be from an older generation than you. You don't have to dress like them by any means but try not to be too bizarre. The two options you mentioned sounded fine; plain colored shirts are not required!

Don't try to be remembered as the guy with the weird handshake or who went over the top with his clothes. Instead be the one who is remembered because he was comfortable in the hot seat and also had the background, intellect, and team skills to make it through their program.

Good luck to all of you!

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Usually you would pair a patterned tie with a solid shirt and vice versa. Wear what you feel confident in, there's too much going on anyway, no one will pay much attention.

A nonwhite shirt should be fine. I successfully interviewed with a navy blue suit, a checkered blue and white shirt, and a navy/silver striped tie. As long as it coordinates, there's nothing wrong with a little flair. Check magazines such as GQ or Monocle if you want a bit more help.

I am also planning to wear a navy blue suit for my upcoming coming interview, however, would an oxblood or burgundy color shoes seem less formal than black?

I am also planning to wear a navy blue suit for my upcoming coming interview, however, would an oxblood or burgundy color shoes seem less formal than black?

Probably, but I don't think it will be a deal breaker. I always chose one 'statement' piece when interviewing to sprinkle in some individuality that doesn't distract from what I am saying. I enjoy displaying a touch of my personality without losing sight of the fact that it is a professional interview.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Formal button-on suspenders with a dress shirt and slacks, likes Miles from Frasier or Michael Douglas in Wall Street.  Guaranteed to stand out with a classy set of suspenders - bow ties just look goofy.

Archived