Augsburg, Bethel, or St.Kate's?

Do any current, past, or prospective students have any advice or reasoning to advocate for one of the 3 MN schools over the others? I have been accepted to Augsburg, interviewed at St.Kate's, and will interview at Bethel next week. I would love to know what makes each program unique and more reasoning to choose one over the other if given the option. Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on your acceptance to Augsburg! They are the most established program in the area and have a great reputation. The last time I shadowed a PA, the SP was Augsburg faculty in the PA program and I listened to them converse about precepting. The PA had precepted a student from St. Kate and spoke well of their skills. They made it sound like Augsburg and St. Catherine had the best clinical sites and it made accreditation difficult for Bethel. I don't know if that opinion is biased based on their affiliations with the other two programs.

Augsburg's and Bethel's curriculum is organized in terms of anatomy, pathophysiology, pharmacotherapy, etc., while St. Catherine's curriculum is organized differently. If you look at their program of study, it goes: dermatology, musculoskeletal, neurology, ENT, etc. If your personal learning style leans more one way than another, that is a factor to consider.

Location may also be another factor. If you can live close to school, it cuts down your commute and maximizes study time. The right school is worth moving or traveling for, though, if you have no other obligations tying you down.

Program length is also different: Bethel is 27 months, St. Catherine is 28 months, and Augsburg is 31 months.

Best of luck on your decision. You can't really lose with an acceptance to the most established program and interviews to the other two, which, while relatively new programs, are both from well-respected schools.

What, would you say, was your biggest strength in your application? Was there something in particular that made you a standout candidate to every single program in the area? (Slight bit of envy, though I'm years away from applying...)

Great points to consider, thanks for the positive advice. I want to do primary care so I am leaning towards Augsburg and St.Kate's who seem to have strong opportunities in primary care.

Biggest advice is get as many direct HCE hours as possible and global insight on diversity and culture.

I believe my strengths are my HCE and additional experiences. I have participated in global missions, worked in hospitals, clinics, a nursing home, homecare, and now a physician scribe in both urban and rural settings. I completed biological sciences research and served in different leadership roles while in college. This was many years in the making!!! I am not fresh out of college and my grades are average (3.5 range).

Through my interview experiences, programs are looking for someone who knows what they are signing up for and want proof through HCE, academic progress, and someone who has and will step out of their comfort zone (understanding of diversity & culture).

Best of luck, you will do great next year!

Augsburg and Bethel are both great programs and I encourage you to continue your research, attend info sessions if possible, and see how you feel during your interviews. In the meantime, I would consider these factors. First, PANCE pass rates are essential to consider because above all this is the number one factor that will allow you to practice as a PA. Augsburg has a very high PANCE pass record (100% most years). Bethel just opened in 2013 so they have yet to establish PANCE pass rates, but I am certain they will meet all necessary criteria and are well preparing their students for PANCE. Second factor, duration of the program. Both programs start around the same time of year, early June. Bethel is shorter about 26 months, and Augsburg is about 31 months. The plus of a shorter program is completing the program faster and starting your life-long career to practice as a PA! However, Augsburg does offer a 1 month summer abroad experience after first year, and has longer breaks throughout the academic year, which is of interest for many prospective students.Third factor, Do you know what area of medicine you hope to practice? If you are strongly considering primary care then I would give a stronger push for Augsburg. Bethel, as well as any other program in the country, will certainly guide you down the right path to serve in this area, but Augsburg has a very strong mission focused on primary care, particularly underserved populations. If you are considering a different field of medicine such as surgery or dermatology, Bethel may be a better fit because their mission is not centered on primary care. Regardless, you will complete rotations in all required specialties and either school can't hinder your career path once accepted. But, Augsburg may not consider you a strong applicant if you do not express interest in primary care on your CASPA and secondary. Last factor I would consider, church affiliation of the programs. Augsburg is founded under the ELCA Lutheran Church, which has a more liberal approach to ethics and modern-day Christianity. Bethel has a evangelical/ Baptist foundation, which is usually a more conservative approach. Both programs are accepting of all religions and cultural differences, but if you are more comfortable with one this may help your decision. However, it may also be a growing experience to be educated at an institution that is different from your personal religious views and/or values. As a PA you will need to have a strong understanding and respect towards diversity and culture, both Augsburg and Bethel will install this focus in their curriculum. I hope this is somewhat helpful as you start the application process. You will know which program is the right fit when the time comes! Good luck!

Ausburg recently had a turn over of almost their entire faculty (including program director) & are having an extremely hard time filling those positions. From the PA's I have worked with recently in the cities, a lot of change is happening there right now & I would advise staying away from that situation for awhile. Bethel is a new program, and has everything to prove.. Which is exactly why I expect that their students will be over prepared. 

Just to throw my two cents in...it's true Augsburg has a new program director. However, he is the reason I'm deciding to attend there. I thought he was absolutely fantastic, very invested in the program and determined to help it succeed. All the students I talked to there had positive things to say about him. Obviously the only experience I can draw from is this initial meeting with the program, so take it for what it's worth. Good luck with all your interviews!

I agree. I was very impressed with the new director and didn't see any concerns for Augsburgs program. I believe the old director retired after almost 20 years of service. Change is bound to happen , but this does not mean the students will suffer. The MN programs have their strengths and differences and you can't expect perfection. In addition, each individual applicant is different and one will fit better at Augsburg and the next applicant is meant for Bethel. All seats will be competitively filled, so I don't see any clear reason to say one program is stronger than the others. One thing I like about possibly moving to the Twin Cities for PA school is the student network between the 3 programs. I think this creates a more positive experience for all.

• 2 weeks later...

Current Auggie here. Yes, Augsburg did have a large faculty turnover in the program over the past year, and all positions have been filled now. Please don't let the changes scare you away! Our previous director was with the program since it began and chose to retire from her position with Augs in order to pursue more time in clinical practice. She stayed on with the program through the fall to help with a "transition period" with the new director, who has gotten very positive reviews from both the S1s and 2s. He has brought fresh ideas and is constantly seeking input from students and faculty to ensure the program remains successful. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the programs at Bethel and St. Kate's so I can't help with those comparisons (I do have a college friend at Kate's and she likes it so far). Of course, I am biased, but I don't think you can go wrong with Augsburg :)  Best of luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm a recent graduate of the Augsburg PA program. Just want to say that it is a GREAT program, very challenging, but you will be well prepared for your clinical rotations, for the PANCE, and for your first job. We just found out that our class (class of 2015) has a 100% PANCE pass rate, and over 3/4 of the class secure a job in their selected field even before graduation. I don't know much about other programs, but really you can't go wrong with Augsburg. Good luck!!!! The journey is well worth it. 

• 1 year later...

Any updates on this topic?

I've decided that I want to become a P.A. This is something I've thought about doing for the last 15+ years and should have done the first time i looked into it!

I'm interested in attending either Bethel or Augsburg. My current P.A. interests are strongly leaning towards working in Surgery (plastic surgery would be ideal) or possibly Dermatology. However, this may change once I'm in school and doing rotations.

I'm in my 30's and would like to get through school as quickly as possible too.

(I still need to finish my last about 6 months of my bachelor's degree this year too.)

What is the current outlook for acceptance and waiting lists for 2017-2018?

Are there scholarships available for P.A.'s?

I've heard that working a full or part-time job is strongly discouraged as well. Is this true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Any updates on this topic?

I've decided that I want to become a P.A. This is something I've thought about doing for the last 15+ years and should have done the first time i looked into it!

I'm interested in attending either Bethel or Augsburg. My current P.A. interests are strongly leaning towards working in Surgery (plastic surgery would be ideal) or possibly Dermatology. However, this may change once I'm in school and doing rotations.

I'm in my 30's and would like to get through school as quickly as possible too.

(I still need to finish my last about 6 months of my bachelor's degree this year too.)

What is the current outlook for acceptance and waiting lists for 2017-2018?

Are there scholarships available for P.A.'s?

I've heard that working a full or part-time job is strongly discouraged as well. Is this true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

The CASPA application should open in the next month for summer 2018 start date. Check the website. Also look at Augsburg's and Bethel's website for application timeline. Now is a good time to start preparing your application and request letters of recommendation. It took me about 4 months while working full time to get my app together.

Both programs are a little over 2 years which is the standard of most programs across the country.

I highly DO NOT recommend working during school, unless it is a PRN position you can do very minimally. The academic load is very intense. Don't be afraid to take out student loans. It is a great career path and it will pay in the end.

Best of luck!

Archived