2014 Application Cycle (Class of 2018)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the current trend, it looks like they send out emails on Tuesday! So there is hope for us still! But congrats to everyone else!!

The last couple years they went out in 7 day increments too. 

I've still got hope. I want this! If it doesn't happen this year, I'll apply again next year, and keep applying every year until I get in. 

Hi there! I'm a Virginia Beach local (for 25+ years) and, although I'm not a downtown Norfolk area EXPERT, I would be happy to help with questions about the area!

As far as hotels go for downtown Norfolk, there are two I can think of at "Waterside." There is a Marriot and a Sheraton. They are probably a 10 minute drive from EVMS, and a 5 minute walk from a ton of great restaurants. The light-rail is also located nearby.

Town Center in Virginia Beach is a nice area as well with lots of restaurants, hotels, and quick access to I-264 to Norfolk. You're probably looking at a 15-20 minute drive to EVMS.

I'm personally partial to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Good news is that there is no shortage of hotels at the Oceanfront. Bad news is that there may be a shortage of rooms given the time of year. It's always worth checking though. There are plenty of places to eat and relax after your interview. The 264 on-ramp is located off of 21st street, so the closer the hotel is to "2100 Atlantic Ave", the quicker it will be for you to get on to 264. Once you get on to 264, it's about a 30 minute drive to EVMS.

Hope this helps!

So happy for all of you! Best of luck to you at interviews, I'll see some of you Friday :) For those of you who haven't heard, don't give up if this is truly your desire! I know it is hard, but keep your chin up and find out how to improve for next year. One year goes by fast, I feel like I was just in your shoes! 

-Bree

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!!! I am part of 2017 and am Soo excited to meet some of you next week during your interviews!!! Congratulations to those that received an invitation. You have made it this far and that is an accomplishment in itself! Just wanted to wish everyone goodluck during your interviews, and if you have any questions whatsoever please don't hesitate to ask us during your visit. Thinking back to last year... I definitely thought that this was the best part of the interview. I will be more than happy to share my thoughts if you are there on Sat morning.

Best wishes!

Did everyone get the email about the meet and greet events? I'm going to be in town on Friday for the Saturday morning interview. Anyone attending the Torch Bistro on Friday? I'm thinking of coming but not exactly sure how well-behaved my kids would be. Any objections to having children there?

Hi all!  Congratulations again to all of those that received interview invites, and as my classmate said, that is a HUGE accomplishment in itself.  I look forward to meeting some of you on Friday or Monday, or at the meet and greets on Friday evening or Saturday afternoon.  While here, any of the students will be happy to answer any questions you may have, so take advantage of that.

I have gotten several messages about the interviews on here...and honestly, the best advice I could possibly give, is be yourself.  It sounds cheesy, but that is exactly what the faculty is looking for.  There isn't a specific personality type they are looking for (as I can attest our classmates are VERY diverse), but they want to know who you are, and more importantly why you chose the PA path.  I wish you guys way more than luck in the interviews and safe travels to those that are coming from afar.

All the best,

Steps

Also...DStillWagon...Torch is a very casual indoor/outdoor restaurant/bar that has bean-bags outside.  I'm sure children would be absolutely fine, and if it is an inconvenience, at least stop by just to say hi!

Hi all!  Congratulations again to all of those that received interview invites, and as my classmate said, that is a HUGE accomplishment in itself.  I look forward to meeting some of you on Friday or Monday, or at the meet and greets on Friday evening or Saturday afternoon.  While here, any of the students will be happy to answer any questions you may have, so take advantage of that.

I have gotten several messages about the interviews on here...and honestly, the best advice I could possibly give, is be yourself.  It sounds cheesy, but that is exactly what the faculty is looking for.  There isn't a specific personality type they are looking for (as I can attest our classmates are VERY diverse), but they want to know who you are, and more importantly why you chose the PA path.  I wish you guys way more than luck in the interviews and safe travels to those that are coming from afar.

All the best,

Steps

Also...DStillWagon...Torch is a very casual indoor/outdoor restaurant/bar that has bean-bags outside.  I'm sure children would be absolutely fine, and if it is an inconvenience, at least stop by just to say hi!

What's the group interview portion like? I'm just curious if it's groups working on example case studies, ethical scenarios, general group discussions or more specific interview questions. Any information you are allowed to provide is appreciated! 

What's the group interview portion like? I'm just curious if it's groups working on example case studies, ethical scenarios, general group discussions or more specific interview questions. Any information you are allowed to provide is appreciated! 

It's like a firing squad!! 

Just kidding. It's very relaxed. Just be yourself, like Chris said.

Hi everyone, I'm also a member of MPA 2017. Group interviews consist of answering individual questions (everyone gets asked the same question so be prepared to have a few answers ready) and then you work as a group on a scenario. It's pretty relaxed so don't get too worried! Good luck to everyone! Try not to stress, eat a good breakfast and be prepared to shine :) 

Archived