2014 Application Cycle (Class of 2018)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I have a quick question/need some advice. I have already been accepted into a school that starts in August but I really would like to go to EVMS. Knowing that I won't hear back from EVMS for awhile should I prepare like I am going to attend this other school and then, if I happen to get into

EVMS, retract my offer from this school? I'm so lost as to what I should do...

• 2 weeks later...

@asuchan7....personally, I would make the down payment on the school you have been accepted. If you DO get into EVMS then you can retract your offer from the first school. In my eyes, getting into PA school is a life long decision and you should be more concerned about getting into the school you PREFER, verse losing a down payment. In the long run, the down payment is not going to matter. This way if you don't get into EVMS, you have a backup school that already wants you :) Hope this helps. 

-Britt

Just thought I would jump in to share the timeline, so no one thinks we have forgotten about you.

Our current applications are for the class that enters in January 2016.

The application deadline is March 1st, 2015. You must have a completed CASPA application, completed supplemental application here at EVMS (no fee), and a final grade for all 8 of the prerequisite courses.

We read applications until late May.

Early in June we send out invitations for interviews (all correspondence to the e-mail address you identified in your CASPA application)

Interviews are conducted for 1/2 day for each applicant group on July 17, 18, and 20, 2015

Offers of seats in our class are sent out beginning in the 1st week of August.

Classes begin the first week of January 2016.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Did anyone do one of the consultations with an admissions officer that Eastern Virginia offers? I am really interested in attending the program, but I was accepted into another program that starts in May. So I would have to give up that acceptance to wait for a potential interview and answer from Eastern Virginia. I wanted to see if anyone had done an admissions consultation and if that was helpful or not. Thanks!

That is really great that a few of you have already been accepted into other programs- congratulations! I am a student in the EVMS MPA class of 2017 and just thought I would let you all know what a great experience this program has been. I am not trying to persuade anyone from giving up a seat at a school that they have been accepted in any way, I just thought I would take a second to procrastinate my studying for ten minutes and share my experiences with the program thus far as I would have loved to hear about it when I was in your shoes :)  

I went to great lengths to look into many schools to determine what I felt would be a good fit for what I was looking for and this program impressed me in every way from the interview process through now (classes began the first week of Jan). The faculty treat you as a valued student, rather than a random number, and are very willing to help if they can. The campus is beautiful with lots of resources, the faculty has really been great (some of which are medical school faculty), the upperclassman have been very supportive, and I feel that I am receiving a top education at a school with a great reputation. I should add that the program is very adaptive, which is unlike anything I have experienced before and I have taken courses at over 7 colleges. They truly want to make the program the best they can for everyone. It ISN'T EASY, as I am sure you all would expect, but I couldn't be more grateful that I have made the sacrifices that I have to relocate here for this program. 

For those of you trying to decide between two schools, I too was accepted to another program, and was grateful for the offer, but EVMS was really my top choice. I made the decision to pay the downpayment (a hefty one at that, $1,000) and hope that I was offered an interview and maybe even a seat at EVMS and thankfully I was. For those who will be taking a risk of not being accepted and pass the start date at another program to which they have been accepted, that decision can only be made by you. 

ktntiger- I would absolutely suggest doing a consultation and feel it is helpful. It ensures that you meet all of the requirements and you can identify if you have any spots for improvement. I say it is important that you put your best foot forward and make sure that your first time applying is your best, you have nothing to lose by doing one. They also have stats somewhere on the website of average accepted student information and this can give you an idea of what your colleagues applying may look like.

Best of luck everyone! Stay positive!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is really great that a few of you have already been accepted into other programs- congratulations! I am a student in the EVMS MPA class of 2017 and just thought I would let you all know what a great experience this program has been. I am not trying to persuade anyone from giving up a seat at a school that they have been accepted in any way, I just thought I would take a second to procrastinate my studying for ten minutes and share my experiences with the program thus far as I would have loved to hear about it when I was in your shoes :)  

I went to great lengths to look into many schools to determine what I felt would be a good fit for what I was looking for and this program impressed me in every way from the interview process through now (classes began the first week of Jan). The faculty treat you as a valued student, rather than a random number, and are very willing to help if they can. The campus is beautiful with lots of resources, the faculty has really been great (some of which are medical school faculty), the upperclassman have been very supportive, and I feel that I am receiving a top education at a school with a great reputation. I should add that the program is very adaptive, which is unlike anything I have experienced before and I have taken courses at over 7 colleges. They truly want to make the program the best they can for everyone. It ISN'T EASY, as I am sure you all would expect, but I couldn't be more grateful that I have made the sacrifices that I have to relocate here for this program. 

For those of you trying to decide between two schools, I too was accepted to another program, and was grateful for the offer, but EVMS was really my top choice. I made the decision to pay the downpayment (a hefty one at that, $1,000) and hope that I was offered an interview and maybe even a seat at EVMS and thankfully I was. For those who will be taking a risk of not being accepted and pass the start date at another program to which they have been accepted, that decision can only be made by you. 

ktntiger- I would absolutely suggest doing a consultation and feel it is helpful. It ensures that you meet all of the requirements and you can identify if you have any spots for improvement. I say it is important that you put your best foot forward and make sure that your first time applying is your best, you have nothing to lose by doing one. They also have stats somewhere on the website of average accepted student information and this can give you an idea of what your colleagues applying may look like.

Best of luck everyone! Stay positive!

Hi binicole, Thanks for your insightful post. I wanted to know how competitive is the acceptance into EVMS? I am a foreign medical graduate living in Houston, TX. I took all my prerequisites in a community college here. I have quite a bit of clinical experience. 

Hi AspiretobeaPA!

bnicole is most likely studying for our upcoming pathophys exam, because she is a rockstar, so I could reply on her behalf since I'm being lazy right now ;).

As with most PA programs, EVMS is highly competitive and based on recent data, the average application size is approx 1400, with ~85 total seats available.  So somewhere around 6% admission rate, which I've found to be fairly common across the country.  Clinical experience is very important so that's good that you have quite a bit of it!

EVMS has a wonderful PA program, and I have been nothing but impressed with every aspect in the quality of the education that I am receiving.  I wish those of you that have applied this cycle way more than luck.  The application process and waiting can be very frustrating and anxiety producing, that I can fully attest to experiencing, but it is worth it! 

If more questions get posted I'll try to check back here more regularly to help answer them.

-Steps

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI-

Received an email today confirming that I met all requirements for the application process:

"This is a follow-up email letting you know that you have met all application file requirements and are eligible for review by the Application Review Committee"

I applied and submitted everything 8/28/2014.

Archived