2015-2016 Application Cycle

Hey guys!  I'm a first year student as well and I'm hoping to meet some of you guys during your interviews!  SO.  For my class, I believe there were two or three different weeks that they held interviews; I don't remember there being a December session last year.  I heard a week ish (maybe two?) ago that applications are backed up through CASPA this year and that UAB hasn't even received all the info they need to extend invites for interviews... I think some of the applications they received have not been verified yet or something.  And judging by the forum, it doesn't look like people have been filling up November slots yet.  So if you haven't received an invite to interview yet, don't freak out!  I think CASPA got backed up this year and it prolonged the process a bit.  Good luck to everyone!

Hey applicants! I, like Katie, am a first year student this year and I just wanted to put you at ease for a second. Don't freak out if you haven't gotten an interview yet! I'm not 100% sure about interview dates yet, but I'm pretty sure not all of the invites have gone out yet! Also, I would discourage you from "posting stats" or asking about stats because, to be honest, it really doesn't matter. If you have the grades and a decent GRE then you're all pretty much in the same boat. When I was on this forum last year, I was sure I wasn't going to get in looking at all of my competitor's stats because I don't have that much clinical experience. But I got an interview and got in anyway. On the other hand, some people have thousands of hours and they also got in. So my point is, don't feel bad if you feel like you don't "fit the mold". Have hope friends :) Hopefully I will be able to meet a few of you on the October 29 and 30 interviews!!! 

Hello to both of y'all. :) I'm interviewing on 10/29 in the morning, so I look forward to meeting both of you if you're there. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of ethical dilemma questions/scenarios did they give you last year (if any)?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello to both of y'all. :) I'm interviewing on 10/29 in the morning, so I look forward to meeting both of you if you're there. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of ethical dilemma questions/scenarios did they give you last year (if any)?

Last year mine was on Ebola and if we agreed or disagreed about quarantining people coming back into the US, but that was popular in the news at the time. Freshen up on healthcare issues in the news right now.

Good luck to everyone, the interviews were great! The faculty is all really cool and when asked why I should choose UAB over similar programs during my interview, one of them responded that their faculty really makes this program stand out. They seem to be close and on the same page which really shows the first time you get introduced to them as a group. My interviews were so relaxed, none of the serious questions that some other programs asked, which made me feel under pressure to answer them right. I left the day feeling great about everything here, which I cannot say about some of the other highly structured/ serious interviews.

Mine was on whether or not annual HIV/STD testing should be mandatory. Don't stress out about the essay too much - I think they just want to see that you're able to organize thoughts onto a paper in a concise manner while effectively arguing something. There are no right or wrong answers :)

I've also gotten an invite to interview October 30th, but have already been accepted at another program (not sure if I will be going to this interview yet). When does UAB officially start class??

UAB officially starts class in August - we follow the academic calendar for the school. 

For those that got an interview and for those that may be interviewing at other PA programs, below is a link for the PAINE podcast created by Kristopher Maday, He is a faculty member and academic coordinator for the UAB PA program (he has a ton of more accolades but you can research those yourself)....in laymen's terms, he's a badass. Whether or not you get in this round, if you keep rising, you will get there! If you're interested in becoming a physician assistant subscribe and continue listening to this podcast, it will bring you a wealth of information.

http://pamaday.libsyn.com/podcast

Mine was on Ebola as well and the ethical dilemma created by not allowing people who had visited certain regions of Africa back into the US for the health of the public vs. autonomy.  It's probably gonna be something that's a current issue and if not, hot button topics are always old favorites.  There really are no right or wrong answers, just make sure you back it up logically.  And don't stress too much!  I know it's easy to say, but you'll realize how bomb the faculty are and hopefully that'll help put you at ease, at least a bit  :)

@katiewinfrey I will be there in the afternoon. I plan on driving down the 29th so settle in, maybe we can meet up?!

Great!! Where are you coming from?? I live an hour outside of bham so I will be driving in that morning for the interview, I will definitely look for you in there :)

@kasmittie and @kthorton-- thanks for the insight on the essay topics! You helped settle my nerves tremendously!

For those that got an interview and for those that may be interviewing at other PA programs, below is a link for the PAINE podcast created by Kristopher Maday, He is a faculty member and academic coordinator for the UAB PA program (he has a ton of more accolades but you can research those yourself)....in laymen's terms, he's a badass. Whether or not you get in this round, if you keep rising, you will get there! If you're interested in becoming a physician assistant subscribe and continue listening to this podcast, it will bring you a wealth of information.

http://pamaday.libsyn.com/podcast

@LauraFromme-- Thanks for the link to the podcast, I'll be sure to check it out! I'm already intimidated by Maday from what I've read in previous forums and from past students... Do you have any tips if we have our one-on-one interview with him?? 

Great!! Where are you coming from?? I live an hour outside of bham so I will be driving in that morning for the interview, I will definitely look for you in there :)

@kasmittie and @kthorton-- thanks for the insight on the essay topics! You helped settle my nerves tremendously!

@LauraFromme-- Thanks for the link to the podcast, I'll be sure to check it out! I'm already intimidated by Maday from what I've read in previous forums and from past students... Do you have any tips if we have our one-on-one interview with him?? 

I had Maday for my interview! He WAS intimidating - he was my academic record interview. He's serious and gets straight to the point. Asked me, "If I could have dinner with a book character who would it be and why." Threw me completely off guard but I think it was just to see if I could think on my toes. 

Just be yourself and honest :) I think I found him more intimidating than he actually is based off of what I heard. He's actually my favorite professor now - he's funny and really knows his stuff! So just keep that in mind. 

Thanks for the responses about the essay, everyone. I really like to hear the perspectives of current students. Speaking of, do y'all remember what types of questions they asked? I'm mainly wondering if they asked the "Tell me about yourself" question and, if so, did anyone give info that was already listed on your application (awards, certifications, etc)?

I had Maday for my interview! He WAS intimidating - he was my academic record interview. He's serious and gets straight to the point. Asked me, "If I could have dinner with a book character who would it be and why." Threw me completely off guard but I think it was just to see if I could think on my toes. 

Just be yourself and honest :) I think I found him more intimidating than he actually is based off of what I heard. He's actually my favorite professor now - he's funny and really knows his stuff! So just keep that in mind. 

I had Maday too!  Intimidated me a lot too, mainly because he was difficult to read, but he's my fave professor as well now... I love his dry sense of humor in class.  He asked me (and mentioned in our White Coat Ceremony) that he always likes to ask, "If you could create a dream team of your fave medical professionals, past or present, who would you include and why?"  I had NO idea what to say lol.

Thanks for the responses about the essay, everyone. I really like to hear the perspectives of current students. Speaking of, do y'all remember what types of questions they asked? I'm mainly wondering if they asked the "Tell me about yourself" question and, if so, did anyone give info that was already listed on your application (awards, certifications, etc)?

I don't remember the specifics of my interview, but just in general, I used to cover academic/work AND personal info in the "Tell me about yourself" question.  Your interview is a chance to tell them why they should choose you over thousands of applicants!  They can see your accomplishments, but don't be afraid to tell them about things that you've learned, fields you enjoy, classes you liked, etc.  That being said, I would not just talk about my professional/academic accomplishments either.  I would tell them my hobbies, personal accomplishments, love of music, etc. because they want to know that you're a person!  It sounds super cliche, but they want to get to know you as a whole person and what you like to do outside of school/work too.

I don't remember the specifics of my interview, but just in general, I used to cover academic/work AND personal info in the "Tell me about yourself" question.  Your interview is a chance to tell them why they should choose you over thousands of applicants!  They can see your accomplishments, but don't be afraid to tell them about things that you've learned, fields you enjoy, classes you liked, etc.  That being said, I would not just talk about my professional/academic accomplishments either.  I would tell them my hobbies, personal accomplishments, love of music, etc. because they want to know that you're a person!  It sounds super cliche, but they want to get to know you as a whole person and what you like to do outside of school/work too.

Makes sense. Thanks for the insight. :)

Just got my interview invite for this Thursday, the 29th at 11am! So excited to meet everyone!

Hey, there. I'm also interviewing this Thursday, 10/29. AFAIK, the only times they have are 8 AM or 12 PM (morning and afternoon). Unless the 12 PM group is actually 11 AM? I just want to make sure you don't miss it if you're going in the morning. 

Hey, there. I'm also interviewing this Thursday, 10/29. AFAIK, the only times they have are 8 AM or 12 PM (morning and afternoon). Unless the 12 PM group is actually 11 AM? I just want to make sure you don't miss it if you're going in the morning. 

Thanks for the heads up! Just double checked and my e-mail definitely says 11am for the "afternoon session".  Are you interviewing in the morning session or does yours say 12pm? 

Sorry for the late response, I've been getting myself psyched for Friday! I'm coming from South Carolina, about a 7 hour drive. See you there!!

Thanks for the heads up! Just double checked and my e-mail definitely says 11am for the "afternoon session".  Are you interviewing in the morning session or does yours say 12pm? 

Hey. Sorry about the delayed response. You were right because we (the morning group) ate lunch with y'all. ;) I hope your interviews went well.

Archived