2015-2016 Application Cycle

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be there October 30 in the afternoon! Does anyone know how many people are interviewing? Or if there is any reason for the date we are interviewing on?

They usually interview approximately twice as many people as they accept. Since they have 80 spots, they will most likely interview between 160-170 people. They will do 3 or more days split into 2 sessions each (morning and afternoon). Each session includes a group writing assignment, and two (IIRC) individual faculty interviews. They make admittance decisions at the same time for everyone, so the date of your interview has no bearing on your placement in the program. 

First year student here. I believe they're bumping up the class number to 90 for the Class of 2018. My class is 80.  They interviewed about 200 I believe, I'm not sure of the exact number. 

Interview day is a lot of fun, don't stress about it. As cliche as it sounds, just be true to yourself and don't put on a front. They already like you on paper and just want to see if your personality will match the program...and what you claim to be ;) You'll have a tour, an essay on an ethical issue, and two faculty interviews - if they don't change the format from last year. Have fun and take advantage of it! 

Wishing you all the best of luck.

First year student here. I believe they're bumping up the class number to 90 for the Class of 2018. My class is 80.  They interviewed about 200 I believe, I'm not sure of the exact number. 

Interview day is a lot of fun, don't stress about it. As cliche as it sounds, just be true to yourself and don't put on a front. They already like you on paper and just want to see if your personality will match the program...and what you claim to be ;) You'll have a tour, an essay on an ethical issue, and two faculty interviews - if they don't change the format from last year. Have fun and take advantage of it! 

Thanks so much, kasmittie!! I heard they were accepting 90 this year, so thank you for clarifying for us! I'm excited and nervous for my interview, just need to remember to stay calm...easier said than done :)

Still haven't heard anything...getting a little anxious. Does anyone know if they will let you know if you didn't get an interview?

I'm not sure, but looking at last years posts, I'm assuming if we don't hear by end of next week then we're out of the game for an interview:-/ hoping we hear soon God willing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year, Drace said they're accepting 90 and probably will increase to 100 next year but won't surpass that number.

You're both correct about the class size being increased to 90 this cycle. I was thinking about old info. I spoke with Dr. Kilgore the other day and he informed me that over 1200 students applied this cycle, they accepted 800+ of those applications, and they will interview 200. So, if you got an interview, congrats! To anyone that didn't/doesn't receive an interview, try again if you really want to attend UAB. They definitely appreciate persistence. Make sure you change things up if you apply again, though. If you don't get in the first time and then submit nearly identical information/references/personal essay the second time, you'll probably get the same result. 

Good luck, everyone! We may be in competition with each other, but that doesn't mean we have to act like it. ;) 

Does anyone know if they send out any sort of rejection to those not being invited to an interview? I have not yet received an invitation and am stressing over whether there will be more dates or if I am definitely out!

I'm in the same boat:( I think the only day they sent out interview invites were 2 Friday's ago. If I don't hear anything this week, I'm gonna call them.

Does anyone know if they send out any sort of rejection to those not being invited to an interview? I have not yet received an invitation and am stressing over whether there will be more dates or if I am definitely out!

I'm in the same boat:( I think the only day they sent out interview invites were 2 Friday's ago. If I don't hear anything this week, I'm gonna call them.

Here's my two cents about the situation-- I applied during the 2013-2014 cycle and didn't get an email about my interview until November 22nd for the December 10th afternoon session. I'm not certain that UAB will offer December interviews this year, but it shouldn't be completely off the table for you guys who haven't heard back yet! There is always a chance they could, so don't give up hope. It is my assumption (from previous experience) that they hold the first two rounds of interviews, fill class spots with those, and then extend invitations for December interviews for any remaining spots. Remember, that's only my theory of how it's done, and I may be completely wrong in thinking that. However, it looks like during last year's cycle, they did not hold December interviews at all. So just keep your head up and stay positive if you haven't heard back! You may not be out of the game. As for the rejection letters... I believe they don't send them out until after all admission decisions have been finalized. Best of luck!

Anyone who got an interview invite mind sharing your stats?

Mine are:

GPA: 3.84

Science GPA: 3.75

HCE: 2,000+ hours as a MA in ortho & now derm, working with 3 PAs

I haven't gotten an interview invite and am super bummed! I've been accepted to other programs, but UAB was high on my list. A PA I work for didn't get an interview here either when she was applying, despite being a Birmingham native & bio major with a 3.95 GPA! Which makes me feel slightly better, but I'm still disappointed & trying to figure out where my app was deficient

Hey guys!  I'm a first year student as well and I'm hoping to meet some of you guys during your interviews!  SO.  For my class, I believe there were two or three different weeks that they held interviews; I don't remember there being a December session last year.  I heard a week ish (maybe two?) ago that applications are backed up through CASPA this year and that UAB hasn't even received all the info they need to extend invites for interviews... I think some of the applications they received have not been verified yet or something.  And judging by the forum, it doesn't look like people have been filling up November slots yet.  So if you haven't received an invite to interview yet, don't freak out!  I think CASPA got backed up this year and it prolonged the process a bit.  Good luck to everyone!

Hey applicants! I, like Katie, am a first year student this year and I just wanted to put you at ease for a second. Don't freak out if you haven't gotten an interview yet! I'm not 100% sure about interview dates yet, but I'm pretty sure not all of the invites have gone out yet! Also, I would discourage you from "posting stats" or asking about stats because, to be honest, it really doesn't matter. If you have the grades and a decent GRE then you're all pretty much in the same boat. When I was on this forum last year, I was sure I wasn't going to get in looking at all of my competitor's stats because I don't have that much clinical experience. But I got an interview and got in anyway. On the other hand, some people have thousands of hours and they also got in. So my point is, don't feel bad if you feel like you don't "fit the mold". Have hope friends :) Hopefully I will be able to meet a few of you on the October 29 and 30 interviews!!! 

Archived