NEW PREREQUISITE COURSES FOR 2015/16 CYCLE!

Hey all sorry for screaming at you via my title, however this is relatively important information for the upcoming cycle! Just got word that MEDEX is changing its required classes and HCE hours. Big things are: - HCE lowered to 2000 hrs - Required English Classes now 9b65dc26316abd1ed82a4d0cd0ec6465.jpg Enjoy Edit - this is for the 15/16 cycle mods can you change my title! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was somewhat addressed in the CASPA 2014-2015 thread already but I agree it should have its own thread so new applicants that view this site have another opportunity to see the changes. I would amend the title to 2015-2016 cycle because it is currently 2014-2015 cycle and the changes do not apply to this group.

I think lowering the hours is a mistake considering all the candidates that currently qualify with 4000+ hours are abundante and excellent quality. Everything else is a reasonable change. The more time that a person has with hands on care the better prepared they are for the time when they have the privilage and responsibility of counciling patients and making direct decisions on there care.

I wonder how flexible they will be with substituting courses, specifically for that new General Biology requirement.  I started my degree in 2003, and am scheduled to graduate with a B.S. in Biology this spring (the ill-advised 12-year plan).  I'm quite certain I didn't get a 2.7 in the introductory biology series I took when I was younger, which is in stark contrast to my recent grades after returning to school with more drive and focus. It will certainly be strange to have to retake an introductory course after taking 300-400 level courses.

Gotta do what ya gotta do, I suppose!  Only I am to blame for my past failings.

I likewise find the new HCE requirement interesting given the past emphasis on experience.  But of course we should feel assured that such changes are from a place of knowledge and are being made for the betterment of the program.  Maybe they're trying to increase accessibility of the PA profession for younger, academically talented students.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a MEDEX student, have never applied to the program, and mostly like won't ever do so, but here's my two cents: MEDEX seems like a bastion where the most experienced health care providers get to go to PA school. For those who are true career health care professionals, it seems like the gold standard. Essentially every other PA school in the country seems to care older about younger, academically talented students. If I were a current student or thinking about applying to MEDEX, I'd be pissed, too. Disappointing.

I'm not a MEDEX student, have never applied to the program, and mostly like won't ever do so, but here's my two cents: MEDEX seems like a bastion where the most experienced health care providers get to go to PA school. For those who are true career health care professionals, it seems like the gold standard. Essentially every other PA school in the country seems to care older about younger, academically talented students. If I were a current student or thinking about applying to MEDEX, I'd be pissed, too. Disappointing.

Can I ask why you would never apply to MEDEX?

That came out the wrong way! It's not that I would "never apply" there...I just meant that I will most likely end up going to a different program before I could put together an application package good enough to get into MEDEX. For the record...I love MEDEX, but I only have about 3000 pt care hours and uninspiring GPAs. I highly doubt I'd be competitive enough to get in.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I was told from a recent MEDEX graduate, they have noticed that although some of the older students have the extremely valuable 10, 15, 20+ years of experience with patients, they struggle with the bookwork which is also very important with the bookwork and unfortunately have to drop out or get kicked out of the program, which is detrimental (time, resources, waste of a seat). That is just what I was told from an alumni so perhaps that is a reason for the changes in requirements.

NB: I was the person who mentioned this, and I would like to clarify: it is not necessarily OLDER students but those who have a greater gap between when they were in school full-time and when they started PA school. This takes all ages. Second of all, it is absolutely not indicative of your performance in the program. Each person is different, and I know students who haven't been in school for 20 years who are kicking my BUTT in this program (and I'm, like, a professional student). 

Just for clarification. 

I agree with Ktcan here. Age has nothing to do with it. I think that most people are going to go through some growing pains. Most people have never attempted taking 15-19 credits in one quarter which is an intense amount of coursework. I went through these pains starting out in Seattle this summer. I am 32 and was an EMT for 13 years. Most of my class are "older" and we haven't lost anyone yet. The great thing about having a diverse class is that everyone has their strong points. I may lack knowledge in cardiology but my classmate who spent more than a decade working in that field can help me out then I return the favor when we get to emergency med. I am optimistic that the class of 2016 will raise that PANCE pass rate. The gap can definitely play a role as Ktcan mentioned though.

Archived