Prerequisite Grades

I am applying and over looked a large component in the supplemental application of the require courses having to be a "B-" or better. I received a "C" in an Organic Chem class. Is there any way around this?

I have not taken biochem to replace it.

I don't think there is "a way around it". That is EVMS's requirement for prereqs, it's also on their website. It's entirely up to them whom to consider, whether they immediately toss apps for not following that requirement... I don't know.

Schools get lots of apps, and time is limited. Attention to detail is important in medicine and when applying. Plus it shows you've read over the program's website at least.

I'm pretty sure with the uptick of people applying that anyone not meeting the pre-reqs would not be considered on the first go thru.  I'd recommend looking at options to either retake the class or to take BioChem if you think it would be a better fit for you.  We had around 2200 people apply for the class of 2017.  They said that they immediately were able to cut several hundred for not meeting minimum requirements.....  Just a thought.

Don't forget that you can take Organic at a community college without the lab.  This may mean a smaller class size and some more time with the instructor to learn the material more.

~James

• 3 weeks later...

Reminder for all...

Merely meeting the minimum requirements for GPA or Prerequisite courses will not make you an competitive candidate in the current very competitive environment.

Repeating prerequisite courses with only B grades will provide the best "bang for the buck". It improves your prerequisite gpa and your replacement gpa (most recent 40 hours) at the same time.

There are several sites on the web that provide info about program requirements. But, the Admissions Guidebook found on this page at our website has the most complete and accurate info:

www.evms.edu/education/masters_programs/physician_assistant_program/admissions_information/

• 1 month later...

I would like to apply for the January 2016 start, but I have a question: I have general psychology but no upper level psychology. However, I have a few other classes that were classified as behavioral science and I passed the CLEP for sociology. Are any of these acceptable as the second half of the psychology requirement?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if AP credit is okay for pre-requisite courses? I took AP psychology in high school and received credit so I was unsure how to move forward with the supplemental application. If AP credit isn't allowed I am a psychology major so I have numerous other psychology courses that I hope would apply towards this pre-req, I am just unsure how to fill out the specific form on the supplemental app. (Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to call the office today until after business hours and I was hoping to finish the supplemental application tonight.)

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone!

I am still waiting to hear from EVMS, I was verified on 8/13. I have had a few rejections already and am becoming very discouraged and sad :(.  Has anyone received any invites yet or anything after the verification email?  I believe my overall GPA is what is hurting me, as it is only 3.23.  My post bachelor GPA (most of the pre-reqs needed) is a 3.7 but not all schools see this as a larger reflection of my ability. Any insight or helpful advice is much appreciated. The rejections are so very discouraging.

Thank you!

Monica

Timeline for admissions for class beginning January 2017:

Accept CASPA applications until March 1, 2016 (supplemental application due same day)

Important purpose of supplemental is for you to verify that you meet prerequisite requirements

Review of applications continues until end of May 2016

Invitations for Interviews goes out first week of June 2016

Interviews will be held July 15, 16, and 18, 2016

Offers of seats in class of 2019 go out first week of August

Once all seats are filled, we identify a wait list, and send decline letters to the remaining candidates

Classes begin January 2017

Admission Guidelines with most accurate information on how to get into our program: www.evms.edu/paadmissionsguidebook

PAEA and other sites attempt to provide information to candidates, but it is incomplete and can be misleading. Use the EVMS web site!

• 3 months later...

The minimum course grade for prerequisites is a B-. Does anyone know how EVMS factors in separate lecture grades and lab grades. For instance, for General Chemistry, if I received a C in lecture but an A- in lab?

Are the prerequisites listed looking for the lab component or only lecture? 

Also, for the introductory psychology prerequisite can you substitute higher level psychology courses ? 

The minimum course grade for prerequisites is a B-. Does anyone know how EVMS factors in separate lecture grades and lab grades. For instance, for General Chemistry, if I received a C in lecture but an A- in lab?

"All PREREQUISITE COURSEWORK* satisfactorily completed with a B- or better (prior to March 1st)"

If each course shows up separately on your transcript, then each course must be completed with a B- or better. 

I received a C in general psychology during my early college days (the less prudent ones), but have since taken developmental and abnormal psychology with prettier letters following. For those of us who are worried about such deficits in pre-requisite courses, I believe admissions is willing to work with us as long as we communicate with them ahead of time our plans to achieve the satisfactory status. While it may be true that they toss out the applications that fall short of the required material for ease of decision making, an applicant who demonstrates willingness to meet their standards through dedication and good communication may stand out by a great degree.

Regarding the Replacement GPA calculation for an applicant's most recent 40 hours:

I took courses at two schools concurrently this past year. Does the Replacement GPA only pull from one of the schools or does it take into consideration both sets of coursework simultaneously? 

• 6 months later...

Hello. Does anyone know if the Supplemantal Application allows us to designate certain courses to satisfy each prerequisites?  For example, my best grades for Math/Stats/Physics was in Physics, just wondering if we can designate it later in the Supplemental before I submit my CASPA, which does not have a place to designate any prerequisites. .  Thanks.

Archived