Q and A with current students

There may be times that you have to make arrangements for your animals during clinical year. My understanding is that some of the rotations can be up to or more than an hour away from the major city you are located in. In that case, I have heard of students either living in a hospital room for those 6 weeks or living with their preceptor if that is something they offer.

That was my understanding as well in regard to the clinical rotations. Some things I need to consider! Selfishly of course I would love to bring them with me, but it may not be the best choice :(

Thank you again, I appreciate it!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for anyone who has attended or is currently attending the program.. Does anyone in the program have animals? I know some people have families and are married but are there any students who would be attending as a single student with animals? Is this feasible?

Hey! Sorry this took me alittle while to reply, but it is possible to have pets! I have 2 Yorkies and live by myself. My study breaks are walking them and spending time with them. They make for great company. But they are not puppies. If you do have a dog or want one, I would be sure to have a dog, not a new puppy. You will not have time to spend the time you need to train the puppy. But I have absolutely love having my dogs. It is possible with all the studying to take care of them. You just need to prioritize and time manage.

If you have anymore questions let me know! Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks to you both! I found some good apartments from the postings about apartment information as well. The information about tier 1, 2, and 3 apartments was helpful as well.

another question: Is there anything different you would have done right before entering the program? Like brush up on a particular subject for instance before starting school?

I wouldn't worry about studying beforehand. Enjoy your time, hang out with friends and family, and be lazy. You stay pretty busy studying once your start. They do a good job making sure everyone is on the same page.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello ,

Does anyone live in Odessa and drives to Midland? Or would it be too much time to drive?

A couple of other students and I live and commute from Odessa.  It's not that bad of a drive.  I take Highway 191 and my commute is 21 minutes from my apartment to the parking lot.  I leave 30 minutes before class starts and make it with more than enough time to set up.  The only problems I ever have is if there is a wreck or when it snows (neither of which happen very often).  They are pretty understanding and usually don't mind if you call ahead and tell them you are running late.  Hope this helps! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is it true 16 students in current class have dropped or been kicked out, or is that number exaggerated/inflated? Can anyone confirm this for me?

No that is not true. I am part of the current class and all 55 of us are still in the program and currently in finals week for the summer session. 

And no dropouts in class ahead of you?

No there have been any dropouts in the class ahead of me. We have actually developed a great relationship with the previous class and if there have been any students that have left it was due to a personal reason that impeded them from continuing within the program. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's not exactly right. As in any class of 55 students, I believe the 2016 graduating class lost one or two students in the first (Summer) semester. Another had to take a leave of absence before starting the Spring 2015 semester in order to care for a family member. He was, however, in good standing and is returning to finish up in January 2016. The original question suggested 30% of the class had dropped out/been dropped reflecting something nefarious going on. There is no truth to that. TTU has an excellent program, the students are as happy as PA students can be, given the stress and work load. Where did you hear about 16 students leaving? Consider the source.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

It sounded preposterous, which is why I asked. An alleged student there made the claim to family members, and I heard it second-hand, it sounded so crazy I had to ask about the class.

Totally inaccurate. What Josh said is the truth. We worked very hard to get here and aren't about to drop out without an EXTREMELY good reason! The program here is fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I have an interview December 3rd and I am so excited but also pretty nervous. Any advice that you guys could give me would be very much appreciated! This program is definitely my #1 choice so thats ofcourse adding to the nerves. Thanks!

Just relax! Interviews at tech aren't trying to trick you, they professors here really are just trying to get to know you and see if you are a good fit for our program. The fact that this is your #1 choice is a good sign! Be yourself and show them why you want to be a PA! I'll be excited to meet you Dec. 3rd!!! PM me if you have more specific questions! 

Archived