has anyone got in with a 2.9 G.P.A

I'm can't say what cut off they use for GPA's, but I do know they look at the overall applicant.  Is your 2.9 overall or specifically within science classes?  If it is your overall GPA and your science GPA is higher, that will help.  I know some people retook certain classes they did not do well in to improve their GPA--just something to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

The director for this program, Jeffrey Pearl MD, led a workshop at a conference at UC Davis recently. The workshop was on choosing and applying to PA school. He told us the program has never accepted someone with less than a 3.0 GPA, but would consider it if other aspects of the application were extraordinarily good. He said a few other interesting things. He said that it was important to be a well rounded applicant, such as having a good GPA, good GRE score, good HCE, and carrying a heavy course load in school to show that you can handle a rigorous program (or working full-time plus taking classes). He said that he will take the 20 applicants with the top GPA and look at their applications one day. Another day he'll look at the top GRE scores and review their applications. Another day he'll look at some other aspect. He also said that the Verbal score on the GRE was more predictive of intellect, but the Math score was more predictive of academic importance. Dr. Pearl also characterized a PA program as 2/3 of the information you get from medical school in 1/2 the time of medical school. 

I was impressed by his presentation, and also a bit intimidated. My GPA is 3.1 and I have not heard anything from the school yet. Good luck!

Archived