Hello, 

I am a Canadian living in the United States on an athletic work visa.  This basically means the only job I can have is to play that sport; other than that, I can only volunteer.   I have always wanted to work in the medical field, but sports has kept that as a 'plan B'.  After a lot of research I decided that I want to work towards getting into PA school while still working for my team.  

The major problem I am having is that I cannot get proper hands-on healthcare experience because I am not yet a permanent resident.  I understand for many schools this hands on experience is mandatory (80-2000 hours).  I am currently volunteering several times a week at a hospital as a patient courier, I am a volunteer at a hospice, I am a volunteer at the Red Cross, I shadow a PA weekly, and I volunteer at many 'walk for the cure' events.  However, I am worried that this volunteering is not QUALITY healthcare experience. 

Can anyone offer any ideas for me ?  A volunteer opportunity that will provide great HCE that will also fulfill these requirements?  

At the moment this is what I have been thinking about doing ..

-becoming an EMT and get HCE through the Red Cross

-finding an opportunity to go oversees to provide care in less fortunate counties (any ideas on quality organizations to get in touch with?)

PLEASE HELP 

THanks!!!!!! 

I used to run with a volunteer emergency squad and we had a college student (on a college "I can't work here" visa) who went through EMT training and worked with the squad for years. That experience was a big part of my getting into PA school. Perhaps the same approach can work for you.

Good luck!

What region of the country are you in...esp in the NE there are tons of volly squads. In your case, it would be worth driving a bit to get the experience, especially if they run a few calls a day.

I am in the Dallas area. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a volley squad?

Thanks for the reply

Volunteer Rescue Squad :)

Looks like there are a few volunteer fire departments in the area, but they would require a drive as they tend to be rural. A good percentage of their calls are probably medical, so call around, see who is recruiting, and stop by to visit. Some departments are better than others, so definitely ask lots of questions and see if they fit you.

Good luck!

• 10 months later...

Archived