St. Catherine University

• 3 weeks later...

PAyug, why Sy.Kate's over Augsburg? I'm in your same boat where I like both and if given the option I don't know which route to go? This will certainly be different for each applicant, but would love to hear your perspective.

Also, I haven't had time to tour Augsburg. Did you attend the information session?

I did attend the info session and am a little torn myself, but personally this is where my heads at:

Augsburg is the most established program in the state and well recognized at the top hospitals around the area. They have an extremely successful PANCE pass rate, so you know the program knows what it's doing. Also, the cohort I met and the staff were awesome. The only negatives are that the facilities are a little older and the program is housed in the basement of a building with no windows or natural light-- a little depressing considering that will basically be our living space for the next 3 years if we decide to go there. The only other thing is that their anatomy lab is off campus (at the U of M), which isn't a huge deal but slightly inconvenient.

I am leaning towards St. Kate's because I like the way their program is set up better than Augsburg, although I truly believe both will prepare you very well. St. Kate's has something they call "ICE" where you get clinical experience one afternoon a week during your didactic phase. I think this is awesome because 14-17 months of straight classroom work could get long and make it hard to see the end game. Like Augsburg the staff and students were extremely nice and accomedating during the interview, but the facility was so gorgeous. Their classrooms are state of the art and I just felt really good about being there.

I am waiting to hear from a few other schools, but will most likely stay in MN at Augsburg or St. Kates (although I'm still waiting to hear a decision from the latter!). I hope this was helpful and I would love to hear your feedback as well. Good luck; I don't think you can go wrong regardless of which one you pick!

Great insight, and thanks for sharing about Augsburg's facilities. Windows vs. Basement is of course a minor factor, but something to consider. I have the exact same views. In addition, I wish Augsburg didn't start till August or September like St.Kate's. Not that it is a huge deal, but 3 more months (summer months!) to save money and have sanity would be nice. But, I do love that Augsburg has a 1 month mission opportunity after the first year. I didn't ask St.Kate's about this, but I think they stated you can choose to complete a rotation abroad.

The biggest factor I am torn on is the academic curriculum structure. I like St.Kate's approach to system based learning. It is unique and different, which might make the experience more enjoyable. However, they have no PANCE rates to support this curriculum, yet. Their PANCE prep sounds strong, so hopefully there will soon be proof of no concern. Augsburg obviously has amazing pass rates, which is reassuring. But, I don't know if their more traditional approach would be as interesting.

Regardless, both have strong missions to develop strong PAs. I am also waiting and have interviews at other programs outside MN, but as of now I am leaning towards a Twin Cities program.

I spoke with Rachel today. She said all initial offers have been made and said it would be ~1 month until they know how many offers from the alternate list will be made. She did not clarify whether all people interviewed were put on the alternate list or not. Has anyone received a rejection? For those of you offered a position, did they give you a date you had to make a decision by? Have any of you fully commited to St. Kate's for next year? If yes, fingers crossed that I will be joining you!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been pulled from the wait list yet? I got my wait list letter last week and sent back the form, but was curious if they've called anyone since then yet. For others that have been wait listed, do you know if they tell you what place on the wait list you are? Good luck to all!

Has anyone been pulled from the wait list yet? I got my wait list letter last week and sent back the form, but was curious if they've called anyone since then yet. For others that have been wait listed, do you know if they tell you what place on the wait list you are? Good luck to all!

I was wondering if they'd wait until after the 12/20 deadline for people to respond to the alternate list to make additional offers.. personally, I hope not ;) But I talked to Kristin Chalberg who said there's ~55 people they sent alternate list offers to and they could make additional offers "anytime between now and the start of class in the fall." She was able to tell me what third of the waitlist I was on, but said she couldn't be more specifc than that. I know this isn't a great amount of information but I'm trying to keep everyone updated on what little I find out because I know how stressful the process can be.

Archived