2014-2015 Cycle Applicants

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interview invite came today for 12/12! This huge goofy grin won't get off my face. I'm stoked! Would you guys want to meet up Thursday night or something? Might take the edge off the next day if we already know each other.

Congrats edoll guess you won't need that ice cream after lol!!! Good luck! I still did not receive an invite but I hope you kill it!

There is still hope @jdizzl11. We phlebotomists/EMTs have to stick together. I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Thanks! Put a good word in for me when you are there :). That's awesome you have the same experience as me. If you don't mind can you message me your stats so I know I have hope. Maybe I will get an email Monday.

Congrats to those who will be interviewing so far!!! To answer the above question about how many people are interviewed during each session I think they go for between 10-14. Occasionally someone gets sick or something comes up and an interviewee cannot attend. In any case, it's a nice sized small group. 

As for advice about the interview. Get there early so you are not late. Look professional. Be yourself, be passionate about what you love, be willing to talk about you, and ask great questions. There's no need to be nervous or scared, just go for it. 

Right now, I'm in Mercer because of my personal statement, references, and my interview. All my grades were normal, nothing outstanding, IMO. But my personal statement, plus references contributed (though I don't know what they said) significantly. When it came time for the interview though, I prepared for days for typical interview questions. Knowing I had quick, to the point, responses to standard interview questions, I was comfortable with whatever question they could ask. So prepare well, be diligent in it, and hopefully we'll see you around!

Rob II, PA-S

Mercer University class of 2016

Congrats to those who will be interviewing so far!!! To answer the above question about how many people are interviewed during each session I think they go for between 10-14. Occasionally someone gets sick or something comes up and an interviewee cannot attend. In any case, it's a nice sized small group.

As for advice about the interview. Get there early so you are not late. Look professional. Be yourself, be passionate about what you love, be willing to talk about you, and ask great questions. There's no need to be nervous or scared, just go for it.

Right now, I'm in Mercer because of my personal statement, references, and my interview. All my grades were normal, nothing outstanding, IMO. But my personal statement, plus references contributed (though I don't know what they said) significantly. When it came time for the interview though, I prepared for days for typical interview questions. Knowing I had quick, to the point, responses to standard interview questions, I was comfortable with whatever question they could ask. So prepare well, be diligent in it, and hopefully we'll see you around!

Rob II, PA-S

Mercer University class of 2016

Hey Rob I don't know if you will know but have they already sent out all the interview invites for the first round?

Hey guys!! I am working on my supplemental now! I was just wondering what you guys wrote for "have you applied to any other programs and if so what ones"... I am asking because I recently interviewed at a program that absolutely GRILLED me on where else I applied and made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I personally don't think where I applied has any merit to why I chose to apply to Mercer and it really takes away from finding out more about the applicant vs. other schools.

I don't feel comfortable listing other programs I applied to so I was going to write that on the application or say something like I applied to several schools because this is my goal. Something along those lines... just wanted to see other people's opinions. My experience at the last interview was really awkward and they shouldn't be asking about other programs IMO.

Jdizzl and ahigashi, to answer the question about how many interviews Mercer has, I think it depends on how many quality applicants they receive. They have two interviews before Christmas and TBD # after Christmas. They may have an additional 5 - 7 afterwards. If their first 50 applicants were stellar, they'd interview them as quickly as possible and make them offers. Because Mercer's start date is off the typical cycle, a ton of applications arrive after CASPA opens in the Spring for the large majority of PA schools. I imagine they'll have several other interviews after the break. 

Jgaboria, regarding the question about where else you applied, sorry to hear you felt uncomfortable with their grilling. It's my understanding that all schools want to have students who are laser focused on going to their school. That being unrealistic for every applicant, Mercer wants students who want to go to Mercer, not just any PA school. Many of my classmates applied to multiple schools, and many received offers from other schools. There were also a few of us who only applied to Mercer.

Here's the applicant I would avoid if I were on Mercer's review committee: marginal stats, marginal personal statement applying to schools all over the map. Here's who I would look closely at: marginal stats, EPIC personal statement, applied to multiple schools. You've applied to other schools, that's fine, just defend it. Defend why you chose Mercer. Come up with a fantastic, believable, passionate reason for applying to Mercer. Convince the interview committee that you should be their #1 choice. 

I've met a # of applicants who interviewed at Mercer. It was obvious who wanted to be here vs who seemingly could care less where they attended PA school. It's a waste of time to show up for an interview not knowing anything about the school. With the PA profession being at the top of the "best professions" lists you may be able to guess how many marginal applications are sent in. At the same time, there are a # of quality applicants out there too, which I presume you're one of them. My advice to any applicant...Show up. Show up mentally, show up emotionally. If you show your best stuff in your personal statement, hopefully you'll get an interview. If you do get an interview, show up as if your life depended on it. Be passionate, unapologetic, humble and confident. If you get an invitation to join the class of 2017, fantastic! if you don't, at least you know there's a better fit for you somewhere else or some other time. 

If you have any further questions, please let me know. 

Rob Ambre II

Jdizzl and ahigashi, to answer the question about how many interviews Mercer has, I think it depends on how many quality applicants they receive. They have two interviews before Christmas and TBD # after Christmas. They may have an additional 5 - 7 afterwards. If their first 50 applicants were stellar, they'd interview them as quickly as possible and make them offers. Because Mercer's start date is off the typical cycle, a ton of applications arrive after CASPA opens in the Spring for the large majority of PA schools. I imagine they'll have several other interviews after the break.

Jgaboria, regarding the question about where else you applied, sorry to hear you felt uncomfortable with their grilling. It's my understanding that all schools want to have students who are laser focused on going to their school. That being unrealistic for every applicant, Mercer wants students who want to go to Mercer, not just any PA school. Many of my classmates applied to multiple schools, and many received offers from other schools. There were also a few of us who only applied to Mercer.

Here's the applicant I would avoid if I were on Mercer's review committee: marginal stats, marginal personal statement applying to schools all over the map. Here's who I would look closely at: marginal stats, EPIC personal statement, applied to multiple schools. You've applied to other schools, that's fine, just defend it. Defend why you chose Mercer. Come up with a fantastic, believable, passionate reason for applying to Mercer. Convince the interview committee that you should be their #1 choice.

I've met a # of applicants who interviewed at Mercer. It was obvious who wanted to be here vs who seemingly could care less where they attended PA school. It's a waste of time to show up for an interview not knowing anything about the school. With the PA profession being at the top of the "best professions" lists you may be able to guess how many marginal applications are sent in. At the same time, there are a # of quality applicants out there too, which I presume you're one of them. My advice to any applicant...Show up. Show up mentally, show up emotionally. If you show your best stuff in your personal statement, hopefully you'll get an interview. If you do get an interview, show up as if your life depended on it. Be passionate, unapologetic, humble and confident. If you get an invitation to join the class of 2017, fantastic! if you don't, at least you know there's a better fit for you somewhere else or some other time.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Rob Ambre II

Thank you Rob once again for the encouraging words. I did not know they did 2 rounds before Christmas that gives me hope still! Yay you made my day!

Thank you Rob. You are extremely helpful!!

I do have specific reasons for applying to Mercer and I have researched the school very thoroughly. I just think it takes away from getting to know a student when all they care about was where else I applied. That was my issue at the other school - instead of asking me why I chose their program, they asked me where else I applied.

I don't get the impression that Mercer would ever do that to an applicant, but the question brought back bad memories from my previous interview lol

Good luck to everyone applying!!

Jgaboria, I start in January at Mercer so I just had the interview process not too long ago. I agree with everything Rob said about the interview and he's more knowledgable as he's already a student there. I listed the other schools I applied to and was never once asked about it nor was it ever mentioned. We had several of us at the interview you had interviewed and/or been accepted elsewhere already but still went because Mercer was there top choice. You can do this and almost make it a positive because it shows that you already have a seat but you don't want to go to any PA school, you want to go to Mercer

Thank you Rob. You are extremely helpful!!

I do have specific reasons for applying to Mercer and I have researched the school very thoroughly. I just think it takes away from getting to know a student when all they care about was where else I applied. That was my issue at the other school - instead of asking me why I chose their program, they asked me where else I applied.

I don't get the impression that Mercer would ever do that to an applicant, but the question brought back bad memories from my previous interview lol

Good luck to everyone applying!

I hope you get an interview and have the chance for Mercer to see your stuff. When I was invited to Interview, Spring of 2013, I was so nervous. It was my 1st, and only, interview that application cycle. Seriously, I prepared for it the entire week beforehand during my spare time. On top of that, my wife helped me prep on the 8 hr drive from Central Florida to Atlanta. After the hours I spent formulating responses to typical questions, I felt confident to discuss any question they could throw at me. When it came time to interview, I was fairly relaxed. I wasn't nonchalant, but I was comfortable in my own skin. Even if I did not get an invitation to attend Mercer, I was confident I had done everything I could to prepare. Don't get me wrong, it's God's grace that I'm here right now, and I busted my tail to make sure I wasn't the limiting factor. 

Anyway, best of luck to you. And again, if you have any questions, fire away. I'm happy to help.

Rob II

Does anyone know where Mercer has its clinical sites? Are they close to campus, or is travel required. I am seriously looking into applying here for numerous reasons, but I can't find anything pertaining to clinically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mercer has clinical sites all over the state. The program requires we have at least 2 sites that are in rural locations. Where those locations are depends on a ton of different factors. Those sites can be anywhere in GA, so you can bet that they will not be close to Atlanta. Regarding rotations in Atlanta, as you probably know, Atlanta is huge and traffic is awful. If you live near campus and get assigned to a rotation on the South side or West side, it could take you over an hour to get there. 

While I don't start clinicals until mid-Feb (assuming I make it through finals these next 2 weeks) I'm merely reiterating info we've been given during clinical orientation days we've had this Fall. From students who are in the class of 2015 before me, they have some rotations that are near where they live and others they've commuted a lot for. 

Mercer does have a relationship with the State of Georgia where, in exchange for going to an outside community like Gainseville or Columbus, Rome or a few others, you go and get the majority of your 9 core rotations within or close to that particular community. As for the 2 electives, those can be done in that community, or Atlanta, or wherever you find a preceptor (as long as the site/preceptor are approved by the program). 

Does that answer your question? If not, let me know how I can be more specific. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you, "yes, all your rotations are within the beltway at XYZ, 123, etc..." 

Kindest Regards,

Rob Ambre II, PA-S

Mercer University

Class of 2016

Archived