2014-2015 Cycle Applicants

Dman027,

If the application is open, you can always apply, but keep in mind there is also a supplemental application you are supposed to submit. Depending on how strong your application is, I wouldn't necessarily call it a waste. If your application is stronger than the people that they have interviewed and the rest of the applications they have seen, you'd get an interview. If not, then you won't get one. All schools say it is better to apply early because there is no standard yet and not a large pool of competition, so if your application isn't the strongest, they wouldn't have much to compare to. Only you know how strong you are as an applicant, so if you feel like you aren't ready or your application won't compete, then don't apply. But if you feel as though your application is the bomb, go ahead and submit. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the response! I have already applied to many local schools near me and I am getting antsy waiting to hear from a few. I have many ups on my application that make me stand out from others, so I will give it a shot!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very accurate information. I applied early and my application had its strong points but my GPA is not that high. I did not get an interview. So unless you have stellar scores applying late in the game is no bueno.

@Jdizzl11. When was your application complete? Have you heard official word on not receiving an interview or are you just assuming? Mine was completed on 12/1 but I have yet to hear anything.

@Jdizzl11. When was your application complete? Have you heard official word on not receiving an interview or are you just assuming? Mine was completed on 12/1 but I have yet to hear anything.

@cm93 ..my application was complete on 11/11 and everyone in my group of applicants have interviewed and either received acceptance or denial. Just from experience when applying to other schools for the past 3 years I am 90% sure I will not get an interview.

Hi, everyone! I'm "patiently" waiting to hear back from Mercer; my application was received and reviewed around mid-late December 2014. From what I can see on here, the last e-mail sent out about interviewing was sent on January 22nd for a February 27th interview. Has anyone received an interview e-mail request since then? Or, does anyone have any updates AT ALL? :)

the interview wasnt bad, it was easier than others I went to. There was a group interview and they just asked basic questions, there was a lunch with a student. and then a quick exit interview. I would say be mindful cause you never know who is watching, and not to forget that your on an interview. I had my interview during winter break, so we did not get to see a class in session or anything. It was a nice interview process though. @meganguest there is no FB page yet, feel free to start it!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to provide some more insight and positive encouragement for those who have not received an interview invitation yet. I just spoke with someone in the admissions office and she was very helpful. She said Mercer will be interviewing through the end of May, hosting at least one or two interviews per month, depending on the applicant pool. She also informed me that the latest batch of applications were provide to the Admissions Committee on 3/6/15 and it usually takes a little while for them to decide to extend invitations for interviews. So stay hopeful out there! I have my fingers crossed too!

I also received an acceptance call on March 3rd!! Is there already a class of 2018 facebook group started or anything?

I am currently attending mercer as a student of the class of 2017. Everyone who is accepted to Mercer and chooses to attend will be added to a Facebook group for their class by a student of the preceding class. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted already.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen anyone say this yet. I interviewed at Emory and thought the interview went well, but they told me I scored in the bottom 1/3! I was kind of shocked. So, before my Mercer interview I bought "How to Ace the Physician Assistant School Interview" by Andrew Rodican. http://www.amazon.com/How-Physician-Assistant-School-Interview/dp/0615480721#reader_0615480721 The advice he gave I thought was very mechanical and not very personal. I decided to follow it anyway, since I apparently bombed the Emory one. Well, what happened? I was accepted to Mercer. Moral? Get the book and follow it.

P.S. Mercer jumped from being non-ranked last year to no. 57 with U.S. News and World Report. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/mercer-university-140447

P.P.S. After visiting both campuses and speaking with both sets of faculty, I actually think the Mercer Faculty is far stronger than Emory's, in my opinion. I think Mercer will continue to climb in the rankings. Several of Mercer's faculty are Emory PA school graduates anyway, FYI.

Good idea. Also pay attention to Rodican's advice about developing your USP (unique selling proposition). Funny enough, he says to answer that when they ask you to tell them about yourself. I did that. Also, it's a good book, because at least one of the interview questions during the interview was in that book verbatim. When you realize you might only be asked actually four questions yourself, if you're already prepared to answer that one, you're on your way.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but for one of the questions they ask during your group interview of four or five candidates, they leave the room and ask you to discuss your answer, then they return to hear what your collective answer is. When that happened, everyone looked around not sure of how to present the answer. I had a plan for how we should answer it. I suggested it to the group, and they liked it, we executed it, and it went off smoothly, because we presented our answer in an organized way. It wasn't rocket science, but we had agreement, and everyone knew their role.

Anyone interviewing on April 15th? I literally finished my application at the very last minute on 3/1 so not sure what my chances will be... Trying to salvage something out of all the blood, sweat, tears, and money I've spent on this year's CASPA cycle. Zero confidence after interviewing and being rejected at  Emory, Duke, and George Washington University... Man, do I need a pep talk! Hahaha! Looking forward to seeing the rest of my fellow interviewees on 4/15! :)

Archived