2014-2015 Cycle Applicants

I hope you get an interview and have the chance for Mercer to see your stuff. When I was invited to Interview, Spring of 2013, I was so nervous. It was my 1st, and only, interview that application cycle. Seriously, I prepared for it the entire week beforehand during my spare time. On top of that, my wife helped me prep on the 8 hr drive from Central Florida to Atlanta. After the hours I spent formulating responses to typical questions, I felt confident to discuss any question they could throw at me. When it came time to interview, I was fairly relaxed. I wasn't nonchalant, but I was comfortable in my own skin. Even if I did not get an invitation to attend Mercer, I was confident I had done everything I could to prepare. Don't get me wrong, it's God's grace that I'm here right now, and I busted my tail to make sure I wasn't the limiting factor.

Anyway, best of luck to you. And again, if you have any questions, fire away. I'm happy to help.

Rob II

OMG! We do have very similar stories! I am from central FL too! How did things work out moving from FL to GA? I hope I hear something for the second round of interviews! :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG! We do have very similar stories! I am from central FL too! How did things work out moving from FL to GA? I hope I hear something for the second round of interviews! :)

Moving fr Florida to GA was a little bit of a shock. We moved at the first of the year and I was wearing shorts and flip fops only to arrive in 20 degree weather. The adjustment wasn't bad though. While we had the polar extravaganza about a month later, we had prepared for it rather well. Looking back, It was actually a fun transition. What I didn't anticipate is how fantastic the seasons are. Spring is amazing, Fall is amazing. Perhaps the hardest part is being so far away from water. We used to be less than an hour from the beach. now we're like a 1/2 day drive. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal because school takes up so much time. When tests come up, my weekends are typically: family time 6-12, study group Noon-6, home for dinner, study group from 8-10. That's my ideal Saturday/Sunday study schedule. During the week: Schoole 8-3 or 8-5, home for dinner, Study group from 7-10/11. That's just a general template, those get adjusted depending on all that is happening in life.

Well, I hope you get an interview with the next group! I'm praying for you and your process! 

Best of luck and God's grace to you!

Rob II

Does anyone know where Mercer has its clinical sites? Are they close to campus, or is travel required. I am seriously looking into applying here for numerous reasons, but I can't find anything pertaining to clinically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't interview at Mercer, but I did attend their information session back in May. Rob is correct, they do require you to do some of your rotations in at least 2 rural locations. You also have the option of doing your entire clinical year in said rural location (e.g., they said they had a girl do her entire clinical year in Columbus and is now working in town after she established some pretty substantial relationships with those she worked with). I know they have many in Atlanta! 

If the rural thing scares you (I've never been to Gainesville), Columbus isn't bad and not that "rural" - I currently live here. It's improved a lot since 2006 (when I moved back; my dad was in the military) and the community is slowly growing, mainly due to Ft. Benning having an influx of soldiers and their families moving to town. Midtown Medical and St. Francis have its strengths and weaknesses, but they're both good hospitals!

Just some 2 cents for those who aren't completely familiar with the 'rural' aspect of Mercer's program.

Rob,

I haven't seen this info in any of the previous posts and I'm wondering how interview day is structured. Will you please describe what your interview day was like?

First off, congrats!!!! It's a big deal to get an interview at any program, and I'm stoked you received an interview at Mercer. Well done! Second off, it's all up to you now. You have the grades, and you have the story to be in PA School at Mercer. The interview, this interview is your ticket into Mercer. The admissions committee invited you because they believe you are qualified.

When it comes down to it, the interview is rather simple. Be yourself, be passionate, be humble, and be courageous. If you don't have one, pick up a book on interviewing or search google for common interview questions. I used the How to Get into PA School book as a guide to formulate my experiences into short, to the point, answers to common questions. So, whatever tool(s) you use to prepare, prepare honest answers from your past our your desires/plans. Prepare well. While our professors (who will interview you) are gracious, they've spoken with thousands of people throughout their careers: patients, students, colleagues, etc...they can spot honesty in an instant. Even more so they can spot BS even quicker. Prepare original, genuine stories/responses. The stories don't need to be long drawn and full of details, but have enough compelling info a quick point. 

As for Mercer's interview, you'll show up to the designated site with the entire group of interviewees. When I interviewed, we broke into 2 groups. 1/2 went into the interview and the other 1/2 sat in and observed a class. Then we switched. Because our classes are out, you won't be sitting in a class. Instead, I'll be giving you a tour of the program while the other group is interviewing. As for the interview, there's a group portion and an individual portion. 

My tips: Show up early, dress sharply and prepare, prepare prepare. Know your responses well enough, that you're not trying to formulate an answer while they're asking a question.

I'm not sure what else to say off the top of my head. If you have any further questions, let me know. Best of luck to you, Dh!!!

Rob II

Hi everyone, me and edoll might meet up this week before our interview 12/12 if anyone wants to join! Just message one of us.

I really wish I could meet up but unfortunately I will not be able to attend. I have met up with applicants the night before at other interviews and it has been a great way to break the ice before the big day...bummed i can't participate :(

I submitted my supplemental yesterday, just a tad curious on where I will stand in the application process as I'm a little late from the application cycle that opened in October, but still earlier than the influx of applications in the spring. Very excited about Mercer, and looking forward to hearing about everyone's upcoming interview experiences! Good luck to you all!

I submitted my supplemental yesterday, just a tad curious on where I will stand in the application process as I'm a little late from the application cycle that opened in October, but still earlier than the influx of applications in the spring. Very excited about Mercer, and looking forward to hearing about everyone's upcoming interview experiences! Good luck to you all!

I think this is how it works: It takes about 1 month for Mercer to review/confirm your transcripts / LoR. then they're sent to the PA admissions team. After that, it depends on the quality of your app. I do know they had their first interview of the cycle today. Their 2nd interview is Wednesday, which I am unaware if it's full of invitees or not. Those are the only interviews I know the dates for so far. The rest will happen after the new year. 

Best of luck to you! 

Fire away any questions you have!

Rob II

Hey Everyone!  Like kdl0384, this is my first time posting on this thread!  I am also interviewing on Wed, 12/17 at Mercer!  I've been juggling final exams and prepping for the big interview day simultaneously these last couple of weeks.  I finished my last exam today, so now I am finally taking the time to add my two cents.  Thank you, Rob, for all of your helpful and encouraging advice!!  I wish everyone the best and look forward to meeting many of you on Wednesday!  :)  

I am very close to submitting my application but I am curious on one thing. I've met all the pre-reqs except biochem. Mercer is the only program that I will have applied to with that pre-req. I know the website says that they can offer an acceptance with two outstanding classes as long as they are completed before matriculation, but I wonder if I can wait to register for the class after finding out my final decision. In short, I dont want to have to pay 1200 for a class if I don't get accepted.

Any thoughts?

I am very close to submitting my application but I am curious on one thing. I've met all the pre-reqs except biochem. Mercer is the only program that I will have applied to with that pre-req. I know the website says that they can offer an acceptance with two outstanding classes as long as they are completed before matriculation, but I wonder if I can wait to register for the class after finding out my final decision. In short, I dont want to have to pay 1200 for a class if I don't get accepted.

Any thoughts?

My first thought is about the quality of your overall application. If your grades, LOR's, and personal statement are strong and the only thing you have is one outstanding class, submit it. At this point in the game that class would have to be completed and grades submitted by December of 2015. So you'd have 1 year to complete it. So if your application is great w/o the class, it shouldn't be a problem.

In fact, I applied and had to complete biochem at that point too.

In the case my application was marginal, I'd take the class, submit my app and note it somewhere that I am doing whatever it takes get in.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

Rob II

Hey guys, I also got the acceptance phone call on Monday! I interviewed on 12/12 and got the call this Monday! So excited!! If anyone else is accepted inbox me, I am excited to meet the new class:) Good luck to everyone and best wishes to all of us to reach our goal!!

Archived