Hey everyone, new grad here, and of course, since it's my first time going through this, I'm looking for advice from those who know much more than I!

I was offered a job in the Boston, MA metro area.  Here are the details... just looking for general suggestions and/or thoughts in terms of whether this is a fair offer...

Job:  Inpatient cardiology consults

Schedule:  4 ten hour shifts/week, no nights/weekends/holidays, no call

Salary:  $85,000/yr

CME:  $1500/year, no additional days off

PTO:  20 days/year (earned time accrual, so with my 4 ten hour shifts it would probably be more like 16 days off... and that includes sick days, CME, vacation)

Health Insurance, Dental and Vision:  Start immediately, good plans & rates

403(b):  employer match up to 5% of salary after 2 years of employment

Licensure & AAPA membership fees: not innately covered, i can use CME to cover them if i'd prefer that.  When I add them up (DEA, State License, AAPA, State society membership) it totals about $700/yr.

Malpractice Insurance:  Covered 100%, waiting to find out if they offer tail coverage

Of note:  I have worked in the cardiology department at this hospital, with these same exact physicians, for 2 years prior to PA school running stress tests.  I also did my cardiology rotation during PA school with them.  Clearly their interest in hiring me back is a nice thing.  So even thought I'm a new grad, I am a new grad they are very familiar with, and a new grad who is pretty comfortable with certain aspects of cardiology (i.e. EKG's, common meds, etc.).

Also of note:  The 85k was their first offer, I tried to negotiate citing my experience there & in that specialty, and they still came back to me without changing the offer at all.  I also asked for the 403(b) match to start immediately, since I have already put 2 years in, and only left to go to school and come right back at work at the same hospital.  They told me that would not be possible.

Archived