VIRGINIA Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences (Mary Baldwin)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an interview 8/20! My timeline: confirmation from CASPA 8/1, confirmation from Murphy Deming 8/2, email for interview invitation 8/4, interview on 8/20. 

I'm hoping I'll hear back after the interview in such a quick timeline as well! I'm really excited to hopefully be starting in January. 

From what I've read, it looks like it's two individual interviews, right? I'm nervous about the possibility of a group interview. Should I bring anything with me? A copy of my resume, transcripts, or what not?

I have an interview 8/20! My timeline: confirmation from CASPA 8/1, confirmation from Murphy Deming 8/2, email for interview invitation 8/4, interview on 8/20.

I'm hoping I'll hear back after the interview in such a quick timeline as well! I'm really excited to hopefully be starting in January.

From what I've read, it looks like it's two individual interviews, right? I'm nervous about the possibility of a group interview. Should I bring anything with me? A copy of my resume, transcripts, or what not?

The interview is super laid back. They first give a presentation about the school and then split us into two groups. The first groups goes straight to the one on one interviews and the other group goes on the tour of the school. You will interview with two faculty. They are trying to get to know you as a person so just be yourself. They are not there to drill you with crazy questions. The interview is much like a conversation. Best of luck!

Btw there is not a writing section nor a group interaction. They called me three days after my interview offering me a seat. This program is outstanding and they truly want you to succeed as a student. I have never felt so welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The interview is super laid back. They first give a presentation about the school and then split us into two groups. The first groups goes straight to the one on one interviews and the other group goes on the tour of the school. You will interview with two faculty. They are trying to get to know you as a person so just be yourself. They are not there to drill you with crazy questions. The interview is much like a conversation. Best of luck!

Btw there is not a writing section nor a group interaction. They called me three days after my interview offering me a seat. This program is outstanding and they truly want you to succeed as a student. I have never felt so welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for all the great info! Murphy Deming sounds like a great school as I've only heard good things about them. Crossing my fingers I get offered a seat :) 

I have one more question. So since I've heard that most people hear back from their interview super quick, should I send an email thank you note instead of by mail? I wouldn't want to risk them not getting the thank you note before they've made their decision, but I also don't want it to seem informal. 

I have one more question. So since I've heard that most people hear back from their interview super quick, should I send an email thank you note instead of by mail? I wouldn't want to risk them not getting the thank you note before they've made their decision, but I also don't want it to seem informal. 

I'd recommend an email. With the irony of my situation I can't help but laugh about it. I interviewed on Friday 7/22 and put thank you cards in the mail on Wednesday 7/27 at 3pm (they told us that they would meet in about two weeks so I thought I would have ample time). At 5pm that same day I received an outright rejection email. I hope the committee had a good laugh at the fact that my thank you letters were postdated after I had already been rejected.

I can laugh now because I was accepted to the second school I interviewed at (where I made a point to send out thank you cards the same day of the interview).

Although this advice is coming too late for you, reneefc2, for everyone else interviewing at MBC in the future, don't be too relaxed during the two one-on-one interviews. What I mean is that I felt so at ease during my interviews to the point that I looked back and realized that I talked too much. I got in the habit of answering the questions that were asked and then rambling on and essentially answering potential follow up questions that were never asked. Answer the questions and then stop talking. They will ask the follow up questions if they are needed. I made a point to do this in my second interview at another school and it worked well.

I'd recommend an email. With the irony of my situation I can't help but laugh about it. I interviewed on Friday 7/22 and put thank you cards in the mail on Wednesday 7/27 at 3pm (they told us that they would meet in about two weeks so I thought I would have ample time). At 5pm that same day I received an outright rejection email. I hope the committee had a good laugh at the fact that my thank you letters were postdated after I had already been rejected.

I can laugh now because I was accepted to the second school I interviewed at (where I made a point to send out thank you cards the same day of the interview).

Although this advice is coming too late for you, reneefc2, for everyone else interviewing at MBC in the future, don't be too relaxed during the two one-on-one interviews. What I mean is that I felt so at ease during my interviews to the point that I looked back and realized that I talked too much. I got in the habit of answering the questions that were asked and then rambling on and essentially answering potential follow up questions that were never asked. Answer the questions and then stop talking. They will ask the follow up questions if they are needed. I made a point to do this in my second interview at another school and it worked well.

Oh my gosh, I was feeling good about this interview, but this just made me super nervous! I am a very nervous rambler and thus talk a lot.. did you leave the interview feeling good? Do you have any idea how many people have already been accepted? 

Oh my gosh, I was feeling good about this interview, but this just made me super nervous! I am a very nervous rambler and thus talk a lot.. did you leave the interview feeling good? Do you have any idea how many people have already been accepted? 

Sorry! Please don't be nervous, just cognizant of what you are saying when you are interviewing. 

Again, it's funny to look back on the interview because I walked out of there feeling fantastic. I was convinced that at the absolute worst I would be wait listed. One of the other guys felt horrible after his interviews which made me feel even more confident since mine seemed to be very conversational. 

Try not to stress out about it. Just try to make a point to answer the questions and wait for them to ask a follow up question. Yes, sitting there silent can be challenging, but rambling on to where you end up on what seems to be a completely different topic won't help your causes.

Archived