2014-2015 application

Received a call from them on Dec 22, 2014 to tell me that I was accepted. They said that they would be sending a formal acceptance offer on January 15th.  Any other out of state applicants on here? I'm from Illinois and will be waiting to see how much they will help out with out of state tuition. Is anyone who was at the October 27th interview on here?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello everyone!

I am in UNMC’s PA Class beginning Fall 2020. I am seeking some advice, especially from those who have graduated and began their practice as a PA. I hope that you all have enjoyed your time during PA school as I am very eager to begin UNMC’s program. 

I am considering applying for the National Health Service Corps Scholarship. For those of you whom are unfamiliar with this scholarship, the program offers full tuition, fees, books, and a monthly stipend (~$1,000) in exchange for 2-3 years of service for an underserved population. To my understanding, majority of PAs are earning the average salary during this time period. In regards to UNMC’s estimated cost of attendance, the scholarship would be approximately $90,000 for the entire program (2 years and 1 semester).  The website states that about 10% of applicants receive the scholarship.

My main concern is the impact of student loans after completing the program. I understand that majority of students have loans and eventually get through it and get it payed off! HOORAY! However, I do not quite understand what the experience is like during the process of paying off student loans. Unfortunately, I do not have any family members who completed higher education that may share their experience. 

Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if you have the time to answer any of my questions below. 

How are you balancing loan repayments? Is it a major financial burden?

If you did not apply for or receive the NHSC scholarship, would this be something you’d go back and consider? 

If you did receive the NHSC scholarship, what advice do you have in making this decision? What was your experience like during your service? Would you do it again? 

This may be a difficult topic to share with a stranger, so I understand completely if you choose not to share. I am just seeking as much knowledge as I can from individuals who have more experience. Please feel free to provide any additional information.

Thank you SO MUCH for your time in advance.

nhsc-scholarship-application-program-guidance.pdf