In dire need of help

Hello everyone,

My name is Afreen. I am currently finishing up my undergraduate degree is psychology. I am sending out my applications for pa programs. My science GPA is 2.80 and my overall GPA is 3.41. I have finished all my prerequisites and am taking organic chemistry one. Being that it is only two to three weeks into the semester I am finding it difficult and am drowning. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I really want to get into a PA program this cycle. What do you guys think about my chances of getting in with or without organic chemistry. All the help will be appreciated. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

many fine programs don't require ochem. if you are not a chemistry person I would concentrate on the programs not requiring it and withdraw if you think you will fail. A W is better than an F. if you think you will pass, stick it out. best of luck.

I deleted your other similar post. please just post once on a given topic. thanks.

• Administrator

You basically have a couple of options, which are not mutually exclusive:

1) Find a good way to study OChem. That means buying a non-curriculum book that helps break it down in a way that works for you, doing a lot of work and study, and powering through it.

2) Apply to programs that don't require OChem.  It will be dropping your number of possible schools, but it is possible.

Frankly, your 2.80 science GPA seems like a bigger issue--It's .6 lower than your cumulative, which suggests you have performed poorly, habitually, in science classes.  Even if you get your OChem squared away, you need to cut that difference down in order to be a viable candidate.

many fine programs don't require ochem. if you are not a chemistry person I would concentrate on the programs not requiring it and withdraw if you think you will fail. A W is better than an F. if you think you will pass, stick it out. best of luck.

I deleted your other similar post. please just post once on a given topic. thanks.

Thank you. I apologize about that. Can you suggest a few which don't require ochem? Thus far, I have come across LIU and Sophie Davis program at City college.

You basically have a couple of options, which are not mutually exclusive:

1) Find a good way to study OChem. That means buying a non-curriculum book that helps break it down in a way that works for you, doing a lot of work and study, and powering through it.

2) Apply to programs that don't require OChem.  It will be dropping your number of possible schools, but it is possible.

Frankly, your 2.80 science GPA seems like a bigger issue--It's .6 lower than your cumulative, which suggests you have performed poorly, habitually, in science classes.  Even if you get your OChem squared away, you need to cut that difference down in order to be a viable candidate.

I honestly have tried the first option but it didn't work out for me. I tried group study and everything but still find myself lost. Would you know of any colleges which don't require ochem?

In regards to the GPA being low I am thinking of taking another science class. Something to help boost it up a little bit.

In PA school, you're going to have classes tougher than OC. I agree that your low science GPA will be an issue in acceptance. What is your prior medical experience?

Just talking about organic chem...i did not find it all that difficult, but i can see why some people would. However, i will disagree that PA shool has more difficult classes. The didactic year is tough, but not because classes are hard, but rather a lot of information and not enough time. Well, just imho.

In PA school, you're going to have classes tougher than OC.  I agree that your low science GPA will be an issue in acceptance.  What is your prior medical experience?

I have completed all of my prerequisites. I have 800 hours in volunteer in the medical field. I have volunteered at shelters as well.

Just talking about organic chem...i did not find it all that difficult, but i can see why some people would. However, i will disagree that PA shool has more difficult classes. The didactic year is tough, but not because classes are hard, but rather a lot of information and not enough time. Well, just imho.

Thank you. I'm not sure why I'm struggling when I used all my resources in order to help understand orgo.

http://www.freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm

I used this guys videos for organic chem and physics. He does not assume that you understand everything and tends to go slow and explain things in great depth which really helped. I HIGHLY recommend searching through his videos and hopefully they can give you a better foundation for understanding it. I can't tell you how much they helped me understand the early concepts that I was able to build on myself.

I was a philosophy major and had only taken Gen Chem at a community college when I enrolled in university level O-Chem.  I was given the following excellent advice before starting O-Chem: 

Complete as much of the book Pushing Electrons as you can before starting the course (and finish it during the first couple of weeks): http://www.mendelset.com 

Finally, the website ratemyprofessors.com is a helpful way to avoid terrible teachers and seek out the best.  Not foolproof, but helpful. 

A's (and definitely B's) are possible for anyone using these (or comparable) resources.  you probably only need one term, which is lucky for you since O-Chem 1 is definitely easier than 2.  You can do it!  

Kahn Academy is great if you miss a lecture, your teacher isn't a great lecturer, or you just benefit from hearing a second perspective in addition to your teacher.  But O-Chem is a practice--like playing an instrument or riding a bike.  It's like math in that you can't just passively soak in readings or lectures.  You gotta do problems.  And lots of them.  I really think that's a huge part of why American students find O-Chem so challenging.  We're so used to the passive lecture thing for all learning that when we apply those methods to O-Chem, it all just short-circuits.  Try all these things, and see what works for you.  But you'll definitely want to try things differently next time you take the class.  Food for thought.

Your chances are slim if the program requires organic chemistry as part of their prerequisites. Specifically, if they require prerequisite courses to be completed by the time you apply. There are programs that have lighter requirements on this - or not O. Chem requirement at all, but my advice is that you do not apply until you feel ready. If you are drowning right now and feeling overwhelmed I would be concerned your application might reflect that and not be given proper consideration. 

A lot of times, I see applicants who apply on a whim, hoping maybe they'll get in. This simply isn't the case - your application must be strong to even get an interview offer, let alone a seat in a PA program. Some programs are receiving thousands of applications for 40 seats...this severely limits the chances of even the strongest applications. 

I'm not saying your application isn't strong - because I have no idea about your courses and experiences, however, I would seriously take a step back to consider if you are truly ready and the application you are submitting will truly measure up to the standards of the program. You can easily view their accepted class data on their websites.

Archived