Sign in to follow this  

VA Ortho

I am applying for VA jobs.  I have 2 years of experience in ortho, about 9 months general ortho and a little over 1 year spine exclusive.   Does anyone have experience working at the VA in ortho?   What were the duties?  Did you have the ability to work with some autonomy or did the attending see all the patients?  I am just looking for some info.  Thanks

search other threads for the issues with the VA right now - 

pay is awful and other issues as well

(and I too want to work at the VA but they must get the pay figured out before I can afford to)

• Upvote 1

Though I have posted observations and quirks, I can't say that it is intolerable. Dallas has an Ortho position open now. Review the online job description for more info. Spine, best I can tell, is more PM&R. Referred a "sciatica" today for facet blocks (pain in lat back, hip, and inguinal region). Positive Fabere-Patrick. Nothing in hx sounded like sciatica to me.

Sounds like a hip.  I think sometimes people just need "treatment" and if it is a little painful it helps them get better.  I guess a study was done on tennis elbow and they showed the more offensive the injecttion the better they got. 

Having spent a fair amount of time in spine, I still bet on facets. Someone in past thought it would be a good idea to do an ESI. Uh, wrong treatment for wrong diagnosis. Back/hip pain radiating to scrotum w/o primary scrotal c/o is either stone or facet pain until proven otherwise.