Hey everyone, need some advice.  I am a second year PA student with an Athletic Training background set to graduate on Oct 1st of this year and have two orthopedic job offers waiting.  I was hoping you guys who take a look and give me any/all advice you have.

Job A 

Exciting position in practice that does not have a PA but Dr. I would be working with has experience training PAs.

Base $95,000

Bonus 10% of base

22 days PTO (if holiday falls on week day, counts against PTO)

Call 1 weekend a month

5 days CME with 2k allowance

Malpractice with tail coverage 

Health insurance on day 1 and short/long term disability after 90 days

Job B

Better location for my wife and I. Really nice sports medicine doctor who I get along well with. Replacing previous PA who left to follow passion for ortho trauma

Base $87,500

Bonus "30% of all revenues exceeding PA overhead. PA overhead is salary plus 25% benefit load" Not exactly sure what that verbiage means if anyone can help. 

15 days vacation.  8.5 days of paid holidays. 7 days of sick leave.

NO call.

5 days CME with $2,500 allowance

Malpractice (not sure if tail coverage)

Health Insurance but no short/long term disability included

My questions.  What offer looks better overall? What should I expect to bring in as a first year ortho PA (the PAOS salary survey says 280k is the 50th percentile)?  I have not began negotiating, what should I try to include in each package?

Thank you so much for all of your advice!

Kevin

I'd go with option B. You spend a lot of time with your SP in ortho, I find this really important. Plus no call in an ortho job is amazing, and your time off is way better. Your overhead is your salary plus 25% for your ins, PTO, etc. Anything else you bill for above this you will receive 30% of that. Not sure where you're located at, but I find that a pretty decent salary for a new grad.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate you taking the time to evaluate my offers.  I agree that my relationship and the no call aspect are a huge plus to the job.  Should I expect to make much over my overhead in my first year?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By cc779
      Hello! 
      I am a PA located in Los Angeles, CA with a little over a year of outpatient primary care experience. I'm looking into transitioning out of primary care and into hospital medicine. I was offered an opportunity to join an internal medicine/nephrology group and start with hospital rounding 2 weekends/month covering 2-3 hospitals (average 10-20 patients). The pay would be $15 per Follow Up Visit and $25 per New Patient Consult or H & P.   Is this fair pay for a PA with my experience/background?  I currently get paid a base salary of 100K working 8 hours/day, 5 days/week, average 3 patients/hour. Inpatient medicine will be new for me. They offer training and physician supervision. Any insight appreciated. Thank you!
    • By MiMtMePAC
      Hello,
      I recently graduated and was offered a New Grad Hospitalist position in the New England area at a community hospital without some specialties and would like some feedback on the offer...
      Compensation: $48/hr, annually $99,840, plus incentive bonus (unknown amount), shift differential for night shifts $3/hr
      Schedule: 3 12hr shifts, alternating weeks of days and nights, 2 locations couple blocks apart, 6-10pts per day, great coaching and MD support, closed ICU/OBGYN, all surgical emergencies go to larger state hospital nearby
      PTO: 280hr allotment for all CME, sick, vacation, holidays, etc
      CME: $2500 for all license, DEA, certifications, etc
      Added bonus: AAPA Hospitalist bootcamp after 3-6months of starting, covered by the hospital
      Benefits: 10K loan reimbursement per year, relocation reimbursement coverage, 403b 3% match first year, then 5% match thereafter; Healthcare, Life insurance, AD&D, malpractice with tail coverage, etc. 

Does this seem like adequate compensation in general, and is that a good differential for nights? How could I negotiate this if at all? The alternating weeks of days and nights sounds rough, how could I configure this? Any other comments or insights are appreciated!
      Thanks for your help!
    • By tavenne323
      I am trying to show the ortho practice that I work for that investing in a good US machine and training me (and a few other PAs) on how to use it to diagnose would be beneficial.
      Does anyone know where I could find statistics on the cost effectiveness, accuracy compared to MRI, % of practices that currently use US... etc.
      I've been digging into journals for most of my information but they like to see numbers from reputable sources.

Thanks
    • By cvb0027
      Hi guys, I am set to graduate in August, but I have started looking for jobs because I want to work as soon as I can after graduation and PANCE. My current interests are Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine, and Hospitalist. 
      I am living in Texas currently, and I am planning to stay here. But I have a hard time finding a job, most are specialty-based, on top of that, 90% requires you to have 2+ years experience. I was wondering if you guys have any tips or resources that are open to new grads. Thanks. 
    • By PAC1234
      Hey guys, thanks in advance for your input. 
      I am renegotiating my contract at a FP location in WV. I have been here 3 years. Was hired in 2016 with a 3 year contract. I was hired as a new grad and started at a base salary of $80,000 with $1000 pay raise yearly for 3 years. I have a bonus structure of 25% bonus of receipts over 28,000 monthly.
      Benefits: 401K match, paid health insurance, disability, malpractice, $1500 CME, 25 days PTO as well as major holidays off. I do take call via phone 1 out of every 6 weeks but it is built into my salary. 
      New contract offer is for 5% raise yearly for the next 3 years: so starting in June my salary would be $86,100, then 90,405, then 3rd year 94,925. Would keep same benefits and bonus structure. 
      I know the salary is a little low for the average but since my office pays my husband and I's health insurance (around $12,000/yr) I feel like I can't press much more. 
      Just wanted to see what others thought before we have an actual sit down meeting about it. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More