Received this email from AAPA today:

Dear AAPA Member,

Let's strengthen the voice of the PA profession in the U.S. Congress. AAPA’s Political Action Committee, PA PAC, would be one of the nation's strongest healthcare PACs if each AAPA member contributed $25.

contribute.png

It is essential that we grow PA PAC in order to build even greater bipartisan support for the PA profession on Capitol Hill. Congress’ mid-term elections are fast approaching. The outcome will shape the healthcare agenda for years to come, including critically important issues for the PA profession, such as:

• Removal of federal practice barriers for PAs
  • Medicare modernization
  • Complex chronic care coordination
  • Telehealth
  • Behavioral healthcare, including treatment for opioid addiction.

With your help, AAPA can achieve its legislative goals.

In less than two years, the Nurse Practitioner PAC grew from $80,000 to over $437,000. During the first two quarters of 2014, the NP PAC raised $189,568, compared to $43,433 raised by PA PAC.

With just a $25 contribution from every AAPA member, PA PAC’s growth would exceed the majority of federal healthcare PACs, including the NP PAC. That’s why it’s so important that you donate to PA PAC today. Your support matters! 

Thank you in advance for your generosity and active involvement in AAPA’s political advocacy.

Sincerely,

Justin Anzalone, PA-C

Chair, PA PAC Board of Trustees

American Academy of Physician Assistants - 2318 Mill Road, Suite 1300 - Alexandria, VA 22314 | 703.836.2272 | Unsubscribe | Opt-Out

Looks like we all need to give so we can continue to push the PA profession forward and compete with the NPs.  It would be money well spent.  $25 is not that much money.  Of course, you all could send PAFT  $25 too and we would work with AAPA to get the changes needed. 

• Administrator

Not interested until AAPA gets off its partisan issue advocacy bandwagon.  They haven't earned back my trust that they won't misspend the money after past debacles.  I get that the leadership changes from time to time, but we need to START with unequivocal statements repudiating certain past postions/photo opportunities as a fundamental violation of the AAPA's charter.

• Upvote 2

I will see if I can do this pragmatically and donate without rejoining . . .  until they improve.

I guess I could not. Seems like they would want anyone's money, member or not.

"Who can contribute to the PA PAC?

Individual members of AAPA, as well as AAPA employees, may contribute to the PA PAC.  Federal law prohibits the PAC from accepting donations from other sources."

I think that AAPA has shown "improvement" as to moving us forward.  I was not a member for 2 years but rejoined this year after seeing movement in the correct direction. Like AAPA or not,  the numbers are impressive for the NP support which may be why they get s**t done.  Pretty shameful if you compare the dollars.  I used to give $1000 a year back in the day but became disillusioned.  I will try again starting low.  Without support in DC we will not get anything.  Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 2

In regards to not wanting to give money to the AAPA.....my understanding is that money donated to a PAC cannot be used by the organization for general use.  The PAC is separate and is used for legislative efforts only.

But then again, if you have to be a member of AAPA to donate to the PAC anyway, then I guess you have a point?  The fact remains though that legislative efforts take money.  A PAC is the most centralized way to contribute money to the effort

• Upvote 2
  • Administrator

In regards to not wanting to give money to the AAPA.....my understanding is that money donated to a PAC cannot be used by the organization for general use.  The PAC is separate and is used for legislative efforts only.

The issue I have is with the way previous political advocacy monies HAD been spent, not that it would be used for other-than-political efforts.

• Upvote 1

I signed up for $10/month

Why do this when I think AAPA has been part of the problem with us getting left out, forgotten and generally under represented in DC?

We are at a point in health care that will likely NEVER be repeated again (unless they come up with a single payer nationwide system) and the AAPA has started to come around. They use PA not ASSISTANT, they changed to collaboration..... and they in general are trying.

It costs $$$ and a lot of it is to buy influence in DC - (BTW this system sucks IMHO) but it is what we have.  If we could get changes to the federal regs that are hampering us it would be a huge boost to the profession - if we do not we might well loss primary care to the NP lobby (BTW IMHO they are not as good clinicians as PAs but the lobby is 100% better!).

So - I signed up to give them $10/mo (on lunch a month) - $120/year - hoping that others will do the same, and that AAPA PAC will have the resources to get changed pushed through.  I also am a member of PAFT and sent in extra $$ to them as well hoping they will hound AAPA into doing the right thing.

I have realized that the only way we are going to get change is to the the AAPA PAC to push forward (PAFT can hound them) but then we as PAs need to fund them enough so that they can have resources to accomplish goals.

Besides, in the realm of things -$200/year is not going to break me, but if even 20% of the PAs did this it would generate a 4 million dollar war chest for them to use.....

I can afford $200.....

• Upvote 5

Hound them we will with our barks and bites and licks and slobber!  Some of us on the board are labradors, spaniels, poodles, bear hounds, mutts, alpha she-dogs and none of us are sheeples. 

I think that PAs for tomorrow has done more to sway a AAPA in the last year than the previous 10 years of non-advocacy.

Thank goodness for PAFT

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By WomenOfSTEM
      I am a member of AAPA and maybe I am unfamiliar with the website, but I want to make the most learning from the site and using it.
      How do PA-S or PA-C use it? As a Pre-PA how can I use the site and its resources to help?
      I appreciate it!
    • By WakadanPA
      To my veteran PAs:
      I recently received an email about the Student to Service HRSA scholarship that states NPs and Certified Midwives are now eligible disciplines for the upcoming scholarship cycle. The reason for the addition is the bolster primary care and obgyn providers in underserved and rural areas. Makes sense to me... however to my surprise PAs are not included in this scholarship opportunity. 
      Is this an issue that the AAPA would take up? If not, who can I write about this issue other than the HRSA?

• By Naonu1
      Hello everyone,
      I am new to this site and I would really appreciate if I can receive advice. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.045 right now this is prior to my spring semester grades being placed in and I project my GPA to raise but I guess not much since I will mostly have A's and B's. I am also graduating in December so I have one more semester. What makes me nervous is that Yale requires prereq's that I don't have yet (Micro, A&P I AND II, and Biochem) but I have the statistics portion. Luckily, Yale doesn't require any labs for the prereq's. Yale's minimum GPA req is a 2.8 however, CASPA hasn't calculated my GPA yet and based on what I've heard a CASPA gpa is way lower than your transcript gpa and I want to be competitive. 
      Not to mention that I am a psychology major which is already not the usual biology/chem. My major (science undergraduate) is a 3.5. 
      My plans were this summer to take these classes at a community college while completing classes towards finishing my degree at my usual university. The reason for this is due to COVID-19 and my school deciding to continue remote learning via ZOOM. My university doesn't have the best science professors from what I heard and what I seen (taking chem which I got an A in). I figured community college whose curriculum is already set up as online would be much easier for me to pick u in and CHEAPER of course. I say all of this to ask if it makes since to put myself through all of this in the summer if I may not get an interview based on the fact that my regular GPA is 3.0 and even if I take all of these classes and receieve a 4.0 I doubt my CASPA gpa will be raised by that much.
      My PCE (Paid) is 2000. 
    • By rookiejay
      I wish we had Telemed as a specialty topic 
      I have been looking for work in Temed for years. The AAPA is now pushing to get us into the role and a new website 
      "Telehealth
      Many PAs have asked about opportunities in virtual medicine and telehealth. The Medicare program reimburses PAs for providing all covered telehealth services in the same manner as physicians. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services temporarily expanded telehealth and telemedicine services to enable beneficiaries to receive a wider range of healthcare services without having to travel to an office, clinic, or health care facility. PAs are fully included in the telehealth and telemedicine expansion program. PAs can find out more information about telehealth, telemedicine, and reimbursement at AAPA’s Reimbursement website. They may also be interested in joining AAPA’s special interest group, PAs in Virtual Medicine and Telemedicine (PAVMT)."
      https://www.pavmt.org/
      for PA interested in Telemed

• By sas5814
      Let me provide a short background story for anyone who isn’t familiar with the recent happenings in Florida:   There was legislation was pending, allowing independent practice in primary care for PAs and NPs in Florida under specific rules. To pass legislation, differences in the House and Senate bills have to be reconciled. The simplest thing to do would be to include PAs in the house bill and boom; there would be independent practice for both groups.   The Senate bill made the provisions for PAs and NPs, yet when the companion bill was released in the house, it only mentioned NPs. Instead, the bills were reconciled by dropping PAs from the legislation. This happened despite a fantastic effort by FAPA (Florida Academy of PAs), its leadership, and PAs from all over the country.Why did this happen, and what should we do now?         I believe we just saw, in its purest form, the political will of NPs. When there were discrepancies that needed to be reconciled in the two bills, they simply did what was best for them, and worked to have everyone but themselves removed from the legislation. Why would they put their agenda at risk to try to include another group? How would that benefit them? Simply put, it wouldn’t. So they did what was best for them. Many people will want to be angry about this and, while I am frustrated we weren’t able to make things go in our favor, we need not be angry with the NPs but, learn from them.   They have, for over 20 years, demonstrated a dogged determination, general disregard for the opinions of other stakeholders, and a will to make their profession successful and that deserves respect. So let us stop carrying on about what they are doing and learn from it.   What Do We Do Now?   I believe there are a few big things we need to do to get our heads screwed on straight, face-forward, and get back to work.   1. We MUST purge our professional DNA of the urge to please and the fear of making any other group unhappy. It seems to be collectively hard-baked into us to worry about what the physicians think. Let me tell you what they think (at the organizational and political level). They believe we are inferior and undeserving of respect. They think we need to be controlled and closely monitored by physicians. They think if we slip our chains, it will cost them money, power, and control. They think they must keep us in our place.   2. Understand what the NPs are doing and how they are doing it. I don’t think they are our political enemies. I also don’t think they are our friends. They have been killing it legislatively for years. There is zero profit for them in adopting us to help with their causes. We are so far behind them; we would only be a liability if they decided to make us part of their efforts. They have left us in the dust, and they know it. Will there be chances to work together for our mutual benefit? Without a doubt. However, recent happenings in Florida should give all of us a clear view of what happens if we are perceived as dead weight. It is every man and woman for themselves. 3. We need to promote ourselves aggressively and unashamedly without the first care what any other group thinks about our self-promotion. My father used to say, “If you don’t blow your own horn, it doesn’t get blowed (sic),” and he was right.   4. We need to look people in the eye and tell them how amazing we are. We need to say, “we want to help…to do more…and you are stopping us. Why?” Then we don’t settle for pat answers.   5. We should demand to know why they want to keep us from being and doing our best. We need to demand data and proof when people say foolish things like “ people are going to die .” or “ you order too many tests because you don’t know what you are doing .” Physician groups, in particular, love bumper sticker answers that are not answers at all. The current favorite is “they don’t know what we know,” which makes me grind my teeth every single time I hear it. When this happens the speaker needs to be called out and this little bit of pithy sophistry needs to be exposed for what it is…nonsense.   In short, we need to learn to look after OUR profession first and without excuse or apology. We have too much to offer and have too many amazing people in this profession to ever put our heads down or be so reluctant to trumpet our capabilities and accomplishments. We are amazing.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More