"Must Know" Tips for PA School Applicants

Hi everyone, I'm a current PA student with a pre-PA blog. I put together a pretty inclusive list of HCE positions available and what category you should list them under for your CASPA application. Take a look if you're interested and want more information on other avenues for experience. http://doseofpa.blogspot.com/2014/02/health-care-experience-and-pa-school.html

If you have one you're not sure about, feel free to comment and I'd be more than happy to look around for an answer for you so that I can update my blog with that information. My goal is to provide the most up-to-date information available to PA students and for it to be very resourceful as well.

Thanks,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Here are (just) four things every PA school applicant should know:

1. Know the history of the PA profession

2. Know the difference between a PA and a nurse practitioner

3. Know how to make yourself "stand out" as a PA school applicant

4. Know that a physician assistant is NOT a "physician's assistant"

Number four is a personal "pet peeve" of mine. When I was on the admissions committee at Yale, I would cringe when I saw "physician's assistant" on an essay or application. Even in practice today I find myself correcting other health care professionals on this matter.

You wouldn't call a nurse practitioner a "nurse's practitioner" would you?

For more helpful tips on the PA school admissions process, visit www.AndrewRodican.com

@AJRcoach I read your book on applying to PA school and absolutely LOVED it!! Planning to purchase "How to Ace the PA interview" ASAP so I can be as prepared as possible!!

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to add to this discussion. I was recently talking with another applicant. Both of us had been on three separate interviews at different schools. We agreed that we were asked the same questions repeatedly: EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

#1.) Why do you want to be a PA?

#2.) What will you do if you don't get in this year?

#3.) Why do you want to attend our school?

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to add to this discussion. I was recently talking with another applicant. Both of us had been on three separate interviews at different schools. We agreed that we were asked the same questions repeatedly: EVERY. SINGLE. TIME!

These are elementary questions that every candidate should have a ready answer for. It is shocking, however, how many prospects get these questions and act like a deer in the headlights. If you can't answer these questions with confidence, you should not bother going to an interview.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 1

I also have to say that I RESEARCHED the schools I was applying to. I started out three years ago with a 2.8 GPA. I worked my BUTT off. Getting this GPA up with 180 or so credits is REALLY difficult! My overall is 3.14 now...not stellar, but the last three years..full time..all science have been 3.67.

I chose schools that had a mission statement that paralleled what I thought was important....meaning I didn't just throw my hat in the ring to anywhere. I only applied to FOUR schools. I interviewed at 3. I withdrew at one, because I have accepted a seat at my top choice.

What I am saying is if you have a passion...show it! Find a school that you know you will do well at. I am not understanding the 20 or so schools that people apply to. Write a phenomenal narrative! Do some research on the program..WHY that school?

• Upvote 1

I also have to say that I RESEARCHED the schools I was applying to. I started out three years ago with a 2.8 GPA. I worked my BUTT off. Getting this GPA up with 180 or so credits is REALLY difficult! My overall is 3.14 now...not stellar, but the last three years..full time..all science have been 3.67.

I chose schools that had a mission statement that paralleled what I thought was important....meaning I didn't just throw my hat in the ring to anywhere. I only applied to FOUR schools. I interviewed at 3. I withdrew at one, because I have accepted a seat at my top choice.

What I am saying is if you have a passion...show it! Find a school that you know you will do well at. I am not understanding the 20 or so schools that people apply to. Write a phenomenal narrative! Do some research on the program..WHY that school?

I think that kind of maturity becomes apparent during interviews.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but when they ask you why you want to be a PA, should you answer in terms of why you want to work in medicine or why you want to be a general mid-level practitioner (as opposed to a doctor or nurse)?.

I feel like if you answer the question in terms of why you want to pursue medicine they will just be like "well why didn't you just become a nurse/doctor?". And if you answer the question in terms of why you want to be a mid-level practitioner then the answers can easily get very cliche and unimpressive. 

I am still working on coming up with a concise and meaningful answer to this question. Great examples are hard to find. People often tell you what not to do rather than what to do. 

• 1 month later...

I have taken at 3 different colleges General Chem I and II and got C's everytime

As all three times get reported on CASPA and help to drag down your science/pre-req GPA, if you get a C in something it might be better to take the C and move on. Take something else that will broaden your education and where you can get an A. Aside from the GPA issue, it looks really bad that you keep taking a basic science course and can't get better than a C. How do you explain that.?

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Hello im new to the PA forum

currently I am taking pre-reqs for PA school. I know the schools in general discourage their students from holding outside job, but is there anyone who is a PA student and working a job. i could really use some advice on this matter

With classes all day, tests, exams and quizzes most days, hours per day of studying, there isn't much room for even a part time job. If you have a family, it's even tougher. A very small percentage of students do it successfully but, most who attempt it out of necessity, end up leaving their programs. Most PA programs are more than full time. Aside from classes and studying there are various projects and important volunteer opportunities to consider. Also, your classmates are your support system in many ways large and small. Socializing with them can be very important. Not saying you can't do it, but there is a reason it is so heavily discouraged. Go there at your own (considerable) risk.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Hey Everyone, 

For anyone who wants further information or help with PA school process I am a recent grad who is reaching out to offer help.  YOu can find a lot of stuff on my website/blog: 

www.allthingsphysicianassistant.com  

If you have specific questions you can also e-mail me at: all.things.pac@gmail.com.  Contact info is also available on the site.  Resources, what to do/not do on interview day, personal statement help, etc!  

Good luck!  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Applicant’s Manual of Physician Assistant Programs is a new book designed for students planning to apply to PA school. Unlike other books on the market, which provide tips and tricks for navigating the application process, this book provides students with useful, comprehensive information about every single accredited PA program in the US. Not only does it save time for the applicant as they do not need to spend hours searching through dozens of websites, but it also provides the most important information about each school in a single comprehensive text which applicants can use to narrow down their list of schools and gain a competitive edge.

Link: The Applicant's Manual of Physician Assistant Programs: A Catalog of Every Accredited US Training Program https://www.amazon.com/dp/1519198116/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_JWRixb6G8FSBT

Full disclosure: I am one of the authors

• 5 months later...

i would like to more about #4. can you expand more about how "physician assistant" is preferred over "physician's assistant"? I, personally, agree with you, but I don't really know how to explain it to other people that "physician assistant" is the proper nomenclature. The "nurse's practitioner" example you gave, i feel, doesn't fully explain it for me. A 'physician assistant' is the assistant of a physician, whereas a nurse practitioner is a practitioner of the field of nursing, right? The only reasoning i can come up with is that "physician's assistant" has a slightly negative connotation in that they "belong" to a physician.

Monniw, it's really simple, PA stands for physician assistant, not physician's assistant! Using physician's assistant in incorrect. I recently corrected a nurse on the proper terminology and she was grateful for the correction. It's not an ego thing, it's simply a matter of using the correct name.

I would also argue that PAs are not "assistants" to MDs; we are health care professionals who work in collaboration with MDs, similar to NPs. This is why there has been a movement to change our name to physician associates, and I concur. I graduated from the Yale physician associate program.

Hope that clears things up.

This is a pet peeve of mine as well. Sometimes I will explain it like this:

In corporate world, you have a "Manager" and an "Assistant Manager." The Assistant Manager is NOT the Assistant *TO* the Manager, nor is he/she the "Manager's Assistant" (that would be a secretary or admin clerk).

Sometimes I feel that we would be served better by even a slight reversal of the words, and be called "Assistant Physician"

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since this thread is about applicant advice, I just wanted to throw in a plug... I am in the middle of didactic year and just launched a new blog that will encompass a lot of helpful PA school advice, information, and fun related content. the blog is http://www.balancingchina.com 

If you want to subscribe, you will be notified of any new posts. As new content gets published, it will help prepare you for school and give you some insight into what didactic year (and beyond) is like! 

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to share my personal statement experience for PA school. I moved to the US 6 years ago and I do not speak English like most applicants do. I had a very hard time preparing my personal statement so I decided to seek help online with PS editing services that are offered. If you are one of those candidates that are looking to purchase PS editing services, please read:

I spent a lot of money with DLA editors thinking they will help me write the best personal statement ever. Little did I know, when we were done and I had friends read it everyone said "are you going for Doctor or PA?". Long story short, yes they know what they are doing, BUT NOT FOR PA SCHOOLS. They are clueless of what PA schools look for.

Next, I Invested more money in mypapersonalstatement.com ... disaster. They found nothing wrong with my PS. Clueless again.

Next, I invested even more money with mypatraining.com to help me with my CASPA application. The gentleman misspelled words. Need I say more?

I did so much research and I just couldn't get the service I wanted.

I had found myparesource.com and told myself I will save them for last because they seem to know what they are doing. Let me tell you. I applied to 2 programs only. I got interview invitations to BOTH. The Personal Statement EDITING services they have is phenomenal and I recommend to ANYONE who is looking for a little help with theirs. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY PERSONAL STATEMENT and they made it happen. They guided me through it.

So if you are looking to spend money, be smart and use myparesource.com and do nottttt waste ANY MONEY on all these websites.

I would like to share my personal statement experience for PA school. I moved to the US 6 years ago and I do not speak English like most applicants do. I had a very hard time preparing my personal statement so I decided to seek help online with PS editing services that are offered. If you are one of those candidates that are looking to purchase PS editing services, please read:

I spent a lot of money with DLA editors thinking they will help me write the best personal statement ever. Little did I know, when we were done and I had friends read it everyone said "are you going for Doctor or PA?". Long story short, yes they know what they are doing, BUT NOT FOR PA SCHOOLS. They are clueless of what PA schools look for.

Next, I Invested more money in mypapersonalstatement.com ... disaster. They found nothing wrong with my PS. Clueless again.

Next, I invested even more money with mypatraining.com to help me with my CASPA application. The gentleman misspelled words. Need I say more?

I had found myparesource.com and told myself I will save them for last because they seem to know what they are doing. Let me tell you. I applied to 2 programs only. I got interview invitations to BOTH. The Personal Statement EDITING services they have is phenomenal and I recommend to ANYONE who is looking for a little help with theirs. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY PERSONAL STATEMENT and they made it happen. They guided me through it.

So if you are looking to spend money, be smart and use myparesource.com and do nottttt waste ANY MONEY on all these websites.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a lot of money with DLA editors thinking they will help me write the best personal statement ever. Little did I know, when we were done and I had friends read it everyone said "are you going for Doctor or PA?". Long story short, yes they know what they are doing, BUT NOT FOR PA SCHOOLS. They are clueless of what PA schools look for.

Not only is this blatant advertising against the forum rules, but also goes after competition at the same time.

Buy an ad on the site instead.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Applicant’s Manual of Physician Assistant Programs 2017 is a new book designed for students planning to apply to PA school. Unlike other books on the market, which provide tips and tricks for navigating the application process, this book provides students with useful, comprehensive information about every single accredited PA program in the US. Not only does it save time for the applicant as they do not need to spend hours searching through dozens of websites, but it also provides the most important information about each school in a single comprehensive text which applicants can use to narrow down their list of schools and gain a competitive edge.

The Applicant's Manual of Physician Assistant Programs https://www.amazon.com/dp/1541298985/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5cZUyb9W1411S

Full disclosure: I am one of the authors.

• Upvote 1

It is appreciated that MarkTheShark89 disclosed that he was an author of the book being touted here. Thank you. I wish more people would do that.

I still say that at this point, the PA future is rather bleak. Nurse Practitioners continue to win independent practice in states every year (now at 23; PAs are dependent in all 50 states). Nurse Practitioners never reboard so they can focus on studies relevant to their job. They are the preferred provider now in the VA and Department of Corrections. So, you will work harder in coursework before PA school and in PA school just to watch NPs sail past you in the market place. After graduation in five years, you'll have 50 to 100k of debt ffrom PA school that you will not be able to pay off because the field will not be in existence in ten years. It's hard to imagine in a bull market that you are in a bubble but when it bursts and you are stuck with debt and no way to find a job to pay off that debt, you see what I'm talking about here. The AAPA, NCCPA and PA programs only care about you getting in. They have no worries that you fail on the other end because the market has evaporated. 

It is appreciated that MarkTheShark89 disclosed that he was an author of the book being touted here. Thank you. I wish more people would do that.

I still say that at this point, the PA future is rather bleak. Nurse Practitioners continue to win independent practice in states every year (now at 23; PAs are dependent in all 50 states). Nurse Practitioners never reboard so they can focus on studies relevant to their job. They are the preferred provider now in the VA and Department of Corrections. So, you will work harder in coursework before PA school and in PA school just to watch NPs sail past you in the market place. After graduation in five years, you'll have 50 to 100k of debt ffrom PA school that you will not be able to pay off because the field will not be in existence in ten years. It's hard to imagine in a bull market that you are in a bubble but when it bursts and you are stuck with debt and no way to find a job to pay off that debt, you see what I'm talking about here. The AAPA, NCCPA and PA programs only care about you getting in. They have no worries that you fail on the other end because the market has evaporated.

Over,

Again you insist on highjacking threads. Kindly keep you idiotic opinions to yourself. If you feel the profession needs to change so much then do something positive to fix it. Don't sit there and dwell in your own self pity.

• Upvote 3

• 11 months later...

I’m pleased to announce the official release of the new edition of The Applicant’s Manual of Physician Assistant Programs 2018! I know this book has helped many of you get organized and prepared for PA school so we wanted to let you know the next edition is here with updates to all of the accredited US PA programs (as well as all new programs!) and some new sections to keep track of your progress and programs of interest. The new manual can be found here:
https://www.amazon.com/…/1…/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i-IFAbBG3HP16

Full disclosure: I am one of the authors. 

As an aside, I have unsuccessfully tried to contact Banuchi to try and advertise in the forum without any luck. If anyone has had better luck with that, please let me know!