Tacoma 2014-2015 applicants

Will definitely do that this weekend Matsen!  I have heard nothing but positive things about the MEDEX program so I am excited about what's in store.  The good thing about us having to wait until December is that it really would be the greatest Christmas present if we got accepted. 

I've just been trying to keep busy with work and family so that time will fly!  LOL...it's flying but not fast enough

Have you received anything stating that you fit the mold (or something similar) and that your application is going to be sent to Tacoma for further review? I've seen that from other people but nothing from this year I don't believe.  I haven't received anything like that so I'm a little concerned.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm submitted on September 1st and got my letter saying my application was going for full faculty review on Friday. I think a lot of people have got those emails because many people on the forum have posted that they got an end of September interview date. These candidates are for Seattle but all campuses are reviewing applications. Good luck!

Hey Matsen,

The last thing I have heard from medex is that my application has met all the requirements and has been sent for full review.

I am happy that Seattle applicants already have an interview date because it means that Tacoma will shortly follow. Thankfully we have this forum so that all of us Tacoma applicants can keep each other in the loop ☺

This is my first time applying to the MEDEX program and this whole process has been very exciting! I have enjoyed reading everyone's post and helpful insight. If I get the opportunity to interview I would very much appreciate meeting up with some current students to get questions answered and to help calm the nerves.

This is my first time applying to the MEDEX program and this whole process has been very exciting! I have enjoyed reading everyone's post and helpful insight. If I get the opportunity to interview I would very much appreciate meeting up with some current students to get questions answered and to help calm the nerves.

We will definitely make that happen! It really helped me be able to get some sleep the night before and show up with my "A game" at the interview. The waiting definitely sucks though :-)

So where's everyone from then?  I'm from Ohio and am living there still, although my wife and I plan to end up either in Washington or Colorado.  We  used to live in Colorado and have family in all three states, but we love the access to wilderness that Colorado and Washington provide, and we fit those cultures better it seems.  Can't really explain it other than we just seem to have more in common with people out that way than what we have found here.  But, we have also found that we can be happy where ever we are, so I'm sure things will work out regardless of locale.  How about you guys?

So where's everyone from then?  I'm from Ohio and am living there still, although my wife and I plan to end up either in Washington or Colorado.  We  used to live in Colorado and have family in all three states, but we love the access to wilderness that Colorado and Washington provide, and we fit those cultures better it seems.  Can't really explain it other than we have just seem to have more in common with people out that way than what we have found here.  But, we have also found that we can be happy where ever we are, so I'm sure things will work out regardless of locale.  How about you guys?

HI matsen,

I am a military brat and have spent most of my life growing up in the Pacific Northwest.  I currently reside in Bonney Lake, WA.  Which is about a half hour drive away from the Tacoma Medex campus.  I was ecstatic when I heard that the PA bachelor program would be opening not too far from me.  

So where's everyone from then? I'm from Ohio and am living there still, although my wife and I plan to end up either in Washington or Colorado. We used to live in Colorado and have family in all three states, but we love the access to wilderness that Colorado and Washington provide, and we fit those cultures better it seems. Can't really explain it other than we have just seem to have more in common with people out that way than what we have found here. But, we have also found that we can be happy where ever we are, so I'm sure things will work out regardless of locale. How about you guys?

I live here in Washington. West seattle to be exact. It shouldn't be too bad of a commute to tacoma :lol:

HI matsen,

I am a military brat and have spent most of my life growing up in the Pacific Northwest.  I currently reside in Bonney Lake, WA.  Which is about a half hour drive away from the Tacoma Medex campus.  I was ecstatic when I heard that the PA bachelor program would be opening not too far from me.  

Oh nice!  So you're used to the weather and traffic there then.  I deployed out of there in Sept. one year and the weather was amazing but my brother-in-law is always telling us how it's no different from Ohio the rest of the year (overcast).  When I was there for the information session this summer the weather was beautiful again, but I was horrified at the traffic:)  It was crazy how consistently the GPS in my phone would underestimate how bad traffic was and therefore how long it would take me to get somewhere hahaha!

I live here in Washington. West seattle to be exact. It shouldn't be too bad of a commute to tacoma :lol:

How bad do you think it would be?  My wife is going to be looking for work there soon and we don't really know if we should try to be as close as possible to Tacoma or if it would be okay to stay closer to the east side of Seattle where her brother lives.

How bad do you think it would be? My wife is going to be looking for work there soon and we don't really know if we should try to be as close as possible to Tacoma or if it would be okay to stay closer to the east side of Seattle where her brother lives.

I think closer to Seattle would be better than commuting from the east side! I-405 is a constant mess! I guess we do what we have to do and know that it will be temporary ;)

I'm from Texas and looking forward to the opportunity to experience Washington. I have been here in Texas my entire life but I am extraordinarily excited about the MEDEX program and I hope to meet up with some of you at the interviews. I appreciate those of you who are the "locals" that us outsiders can learn about the area from. I would be bringing my wife and kids with me so learning about the Tacoma area and good locations is of upmost importance.

I'm currently a paramedic in Portland, Oregon. My plan is to stay in Tacoma during the week and commute home on the weekends. For the current students, have you seen any information on people willing to rent out rooms to PA students in this situation?

April~~

There is definitely ample living spots around campus in Tacoma. One thing to keep in mind is that if you are accepted your summer quarter is at the Seattle campus. The rest of your didactic year is in Tacoma. There is public transportation (which I used) for summer quarter that picks you up in Tacoma and drops you off right in front of the building you need to be at for class in the summer.

EMS, 

Do you know about the average cost for the summer? I would be flying from Fairbanks, Alaska down there for the Summer if I get into the Anchorage site. Then fly back up after the A&P for a month or so until I move down to Anchorage while my family stays in Fairbanks. I am just trying to get a rough idea of cost (outside of Airfare).

EMS,

Do you know about the average cost for the summer? I would be flying from Fairbanks, Alaska down there for the Summer if I get into the Anchorage site. Then fly back up after the A&P for a month or so until I move down to Anchorage while my family stays in Fairbanks. I am just trying to get a rough idea of cost (outside of Airfare).

I know most of the Anchorage students stayed in the dorms on campus for summer quarter. I don't remember the cost per day for a dorm but I am sure that you could nail it down with a call to UW. I did find this site that could be helpful https://www.hfs.washington.edu/housing/Default.aspx?id=3379

That should give you an idea of cost if you wanted to live on campus for the summer quarter.

http://www.washington.edu/students/#FINANCES

This should give you an idea of tuition. If I remember right it was around 6k for summer quarter.

Hope this helps!

I'm from Texas and looking forward to the opportunity to experience Washington. I have been here in Texas my entire life but I am extraordinarily excited about the MEDEX program and I hope to meet up with some of you at the interviews. I appreciate those of you who are the "locals" that us outsiders can learn about the area from. I would be bringing my wife and kids with me so learning about the Tacoma area and good locations is of upmost importance.

Hi Hopeful Jake, I moved to the Seattle -Tacoma area about 3 years ago with my children, so finding a safe area with a good school district is a must.  Let me know if you want any recommendations about places to relocate :-)  I'd be glad to help.  

Oh nice!  So you're used to the weather and traffic there then.  I deployed out of there in Sept. one year and the weather was amazing but my brother-in-law is always telling us how it's no different from Ohio the rest of the year (overcast).  When I was there for the information session this summer the weather was beautiful again, but I was horrified at the traffic:)  It was crazy how consistently the GPS in my phone would underestimate how bad traffic was and therefore how long it would take me to get somewhere hahaha!

Hey Matsen!  I love the weather in the summer time, but the rest of the year it is too gray for me.  I guess I shouldn't be complaining because the weather here isn't too extreme.  I am here because of family and job opportunities.  Traffic has gotten a lot worst though the last couple of years but you learn how to work around it.  I work the typical 8-5 job right now, but sometimes am envious of my colleagues that work  weekend and evenings just because they don't have to put up with the traffic lol.

Thanks Scoped and EMS, that helps with planning for the summer. I wasn't sure if Tuition was UAA's cost or UW's cost since it's UW's program but attending UAA campus.

All the financial aid is handled through UW regardless of what campus you attend. MEDEX is UW program and UAA just admisiters it for them. Many students use the Wells Fargo MedCAP loan in addition to federal aid.

Archived