Do you have an idea why the appliciation deadline was so early compared to last year? When you applied last year, how long did you wait for a call about an interview? Sorry about bombarding you with all these questions ????

last year the program was being reaccredited so everything was chaotic. Interviews had to be pushed up, I believe to allow themselves more time to sort through applicants, they pushed up the deadline by two months. It was over two months after my application was considered complete that I was called for an interview, and I was in the second scheduled date for interviews. However, last year cannot be used to gauge a timeline. I believe the website states that interviews will be held through March and April this year

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sophiepa2015

Does anyone here know if Sophie pays a lot of attention to patient care experience? Will having a low amount of hce hours significantly reduce my chances of acceptance?

Does anyone here know if Sophie pays a lot of attention to patient care experience? Will having a low amount of hce hours significantly reduce my chances of acceptance?

HCE is not an official requirement so there isn't a minimum you need to have. I have over 7 years of working in a hospital (non direct patient care) with a few months of direct patient care and I was still wait listed last cycle. It's difficult to say how big of a role HCE plays in admissions, but without a doubt some type of exposure to health care is good to have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

HEY GUYS ! I know my classmate posted this already but please take advantage of the PA club hours. Trust me it will help you tremendously.

For those who would like to come by our club hours are :

Thursday's 12:30-1:30pm

Harris Hall

Room 209

Come by and bring a friend!

Hint hint: not only will us students be there, but there will be faculty there who will be interviewing you !!

Hello Yacosta815,

My name is Otabek. I have applied to Sophie Davis PA Program and received an email, notifying that my application is complete. I have also called UAPC to confirm if everything was ok there. Since I have applied to City college Spring 2015 semester, I was told that I need to defer my application to Fall 2015 semester in order to be eligible for PA program admission. I'm very excited and waiting to be called for an interview. I have seen some of your posts from last year and some from this year. I was going to ask you on the interview process. How did all went? Format of the interview (group, individual, student)? What kind of questions were asked, and the best way to prepare myself for the big day...

I will wait for response and I'm very thankful that students like you are there helping Pre-PAs like us to fulfill our goals. 

Sincerely,
Otabek

Hello. I graduated last month. For some weird reason, I don't get email notifications when someone responds in this thread or when someone responds directly to me. Sorry. I'm not trying to ignore anyone.

The PA program only starts in the fall semester. They used to have a 6 week summer orientation session, but last year, it was removed. That is probably why they deferred your application to the fall semester.

The interview process consists of 3-4 different applicants coming in. You will each sit at a separate table & they will give you a sheet of paper with topics & you will have to pick a topic & write an essay on the spot. If I recall correctly, they give you 20 or 30 minutes. This is to see how you write under pressure & to compare it to your statement letter. They want to make sure that you are the one that actually wrote your statement letter. They also want to see your thought process. While grammer is not super important, they do look at it.

After the collect your essays, they look them over & compare them to your statement letters. Then they call you individually to a separate room where the actual interview will take place. Anywhere from 3-5 people will interview you. These people will be PA faculty, course professors & alumni. The questions will range from quick-fire questions to more in-depth questions. I was interviewed by 3 people (the prior PA Director, a course professor & a member of the PA faculty).

Coming from a world of pharmaceutical sales, I was used to long intereviews being a sign of a successful interview. My interview lasted 1 hr & 15 minutes, but then again, I had the prior PA director (who was the best director, in my opinion) that did most of the questioning & she was a talkative one (as am I). Lol. However, some interviews are quicker than others, depending on who interviews you. Some of my classmates told me that their interview lasted only 30 minutes. I heard that some of the last class that entered (class of 2017) had students whose interview lasted only 10-15 minutes.

What you can do to prepare:

-Review the history of the program. While I wasn't asked about it, it is fair game on an interview.

-Know the history of the profession. This seems obvious, but I have heard of stories where applicants didn't know it. They were obviously not chosen.

-Know what a PA is. Once again, this seems obvious, but I have heard horror stories.

-Know why you want to become a PA.

-Be able to answer for any deficiencies that you might have or anything that might be seen negatively (failed class, low grade on transcript, etc)

-Be able to have a plan as to how you are going to be able to afford PA school. There is no working in PA school if you want to do well.

-Why PA vs NP vs Dr vs DO vs MA?

-Scour the internet. There are ton of resources out there that list questions that applicants were asked. The questions that I was asked was the standard ones listed above plus questions that were personalized based on my transcript & resume, so they wouldn't apply to anyone else. I also highly recommend the book by Andrew Rodican. It gives you ideas of questions asked.

Last but not least, practice!!! Review your transcript & resume. Look for any holes or flaws that anyone else could find. Ask someone (NOT family or a really close friend since they might give you a biased opinion) to look it over & give you their honest opinion. Have them ask you questions & practice answering them in different ways so that it doesn't sound rehearsed when you are asked that question on you actual interview. Also, what I did was I asked myself questions in front of a mirror. That way I could see my face & my facial expressions when I answered. Your facial expressions sometimes speak louder than your actual words.

Hope this helps. Now back to studying for my boards.

Hey, I just recently created an account for this forum, but I have been reading every post about Sophie Davis PA program since last year. Can those of you whom have applied to this program, accepted into this program, or finishing this program, provide me with the stats that you initially applied with? Previous university prior to SD, GPA, extra science courses besides the prerequisite minimums, degrees earned prior to acceptance to the program, and lastly your healthcare experience and the amount of hours. Please message me the answers to my questions. I plan on applying in the Fall of 2015, thanks in advance for your time.

P.S. Has anyone heard anything about the transition over to a graduate degree? I'm not asking because I have a problem with the type of degree, I'm asking because when I apply, I will not have my Bachelor's yet and would like to know if I will make it before the transition. 

Hello. I graduated last month. For some weird reason, I don't get email notifications when someone responds in this thread or when someone responds directly to me. Sorry. I'm not trying to ignore anyone.

The PA program only starts in the fall semester. They used to have a 6 week summer orientation session, but last year, it was removed. That is probably why they deferred your application to the fall semester.

The interview process consists of 3-4 different applicants coming in. You will each sit at a separate table & they will give you a sheet of paper with topics & you will have to pick a topic & write an essay on the spot. If I recall correctly, they give you 20 or 30 minutes. This is to see how you write under pressure & to compare it to your statement letter. They want to make sure that you are the one that actually wrote your statement letter. They also want to see your thought process. While grammer is not super important, they do look at it.

After the collect your essays, they look them over & compare them to your statement letters. Then they call you individually to a separate room where the actual interview will take place. Anywhere from 3-5 people will interview you. These people will be PA faculty, course professors & alumni. The questions will range from quick-fire questions to more in-depth questions. I was interviewed by 3 people (the prior PA Director, a course professor & a member of the PA faculty).

Coming from a world of pharmaceutical sales, I was used to long intereviews being a sign of a successful interview. My interview lasted 1 hr & 15 minutes, but then again, I had the prior PA director (who was the best director, in my opinion) that did most of the questioning & she was a talkative one (as am I). Lol. However, some interviews are quicker than others, depending on who interviews you. Some of my classmates told me that their interview lasted only 30 minutes. I heard that some of the last class that entered (class of 2017) had students whose interview lasted only 10-15 minutes.

What you can do to prepare:

-Review the history of the program. While I wasn't asked about it, it is fair game on an interview.

-Know the history of the profession. This seems obvious, but I have heard of stories where applicants didn't know it. They were obviously not chosen.

-Know what a PA is. Once again, this seems obvious, but I have heard horror stories.

-Know why you want to become a PA.

-Be able to answer for any deficiencies that you might have or anything that might be seen negatively (failed class, low grade on transcript, etc)

-Be able to have a plan as to how you are going to be able to afford PA school. There is no working in PA school if you want to do well.

-Why PA vs NP vs Dr vs DO vs MA?

-Scour the internet. There are ton of resources out there that list questions that applicants were asked. The questions that I was asked was the standard ones listed above plus questions that were personalized based on my transcript & resume, so they wouldn't apply to anyone else. I also highly recommend the book by Andrew Rodican. It gives you ideas of questions asked.

Last but not least, practice!!! Review your transcript & resume. Look for any holes or flaws that anyone else could find. Ask someone (NOT family or a really close friend since they might give you a biased opinion) to look it over & give you their honest opinion. Have them ask you questions & practice answering them in different ways so that it doesn't sound rehearsed when you are asked that question on you actual interview. Also, what I did was I asked myself questions in front of a mirror. That way I could see my face & my facial expressions when I answered. Your facial expressions sometimes speak louder than your actual words.

Hope this helps. Now back to studying for my boards.

Hello,

Very thankful for response. Even though, I didn't hear back from SD yet, I'm doing my best to get prepared for an interview. I actually bought the book you advised and am very delighted with it. It covers pretty much all the topics of the actual interview, but as you said, there are those specifics that apply only to you, so I'm trying to review my own healthcare and undergraduate experiences. You said that interview typically last anywhere from 30 to 60 mins. Kinda trying to imagine that and can't figure out how many questions are there in total, but I guess it will depend on my answers, and the off topic discussion that we might or might not have.  Overall, I have an idea now what the interview is going to look like. Thank you. Last question, I wanted to ask is, what was the experience felt like? Did you feel like it was a friendly atmosphere or they tried to put you under pressure? Obviously, I'll be nervous and just wanted to know if they will help to relieve it, or add to it... 

Appreciate all the help!

~Otabek 

Hey Otashco if you don't mind me asking can you share the name of the book please?

Hello Afreen,

Definitely, as Yacosta815 have already mentioned, the book is called "How To "Ace" The Physician Assistant School Interview" by Andrew Rodican. Even though the book is very helpful, a lot of behavioral questions are adapted to authors experiences and obviously, you will have to come up with your own answers for those. Also, keep in mind, that just as we (pre-PAs) use this book, professors and your future interviewers are also aware of the standard answers and responses from the book. In my opinion, the book should be used as a guide and a reference! 

If you are really interested, you can also buy a book from the same author called "The Ultimate Guide to Getting Into Physician Assistant School". Very recommend. 

Best of luck, applicants!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived